Survey: 60% Of Windows 10 Users Give It A Thumbs Up

Just had another 'Automatic Repair' reboot loop 10 machine in. Fifth one since the New Year. None of the MS tools would fix it. Luckily it had been a clean install so just did another clean install.

At least MS/10 has helped my bottom line last year and this year.

Only problem is next year will folks have moved to Apple (Linux doesn't exist to the average user) if the costs to run/support a Windows machine go through the roof?

Personally I wouldn't call that a good thing. :rolleyes:

No you are right. I've been getting a steady stream of 'user upgrades' that have been badly botched. Your machine needs to be in good shape before you upgrade plus its good to know some more up to date drivers are available before you go upgrading that 2009 Windows 7 laptop.

If you get 10 to install and work its fine. No problems.

It's when it goes wrong...9.9 times out of 10 the MS support tools and automated repairs just don't work. They have built all that stuff in and its a waste of time. It just makes trying to fix it a longer and longer process. It just gets in the way.

Had a machine in last night that automatic repair wouldn't work. Reset wouldn't work and neither would CHKDSK or Safe Mode. It was a fresh build. No indication as to why any of those wouldn't work either. Not the first one either.

I'm now basically just removing HDDs, backing up the 200GB+ user data, rebuilding the machines from scratch and copying the data back on. Whereas before I would spend maybe 15-30 minutes doing a few tricks and a bit of Safe mode and the laptop would be working fine again.

No you are right. I've been getting a steady stream of 'user upgrades' that have been badly botched. Your machine needs to be in good shape before you upgrade plus its good to know some more up to date drivers are available before you go upgrading that 2009 Windows 7 laptop.

If you get 10 to install and work its fine. No problems.

It's when it goes wrong...9.9 times out of 10 the MS support tools and automated repairs just don't work. They have built all that stuff in and its a waste of time. It just makes trying to fix it a longer and longer process. It just gets in the way.

Had a machine in last night that automatic repair wouldn't work. Reset wouldn't work and neither would CHKDSK or Safe Mode. It was a fresh build. No indication as to why any of those wouldn't work either. Not the first one either.

I'm now basically just removing HDDs, backing up the 200GB+ user data, rebuilding the machines from scratch and copying the data back on. Whereas before I would spend maybe 15-30 minutes doing a few tricks and a bit of Safe mode and the laptop would be working fine again.

My boss brought in his shitty Sony Vaio all-in-one. The specs of the machine aren't shitty, its just that it's an AIO and they're all shitty. Anyways, all he tells me is it won't boot up and after digging around in looks like he tried to do the Windows 10 upgrade from some version of 8. Going into the recovery console, something seriously bad went wrong during the upgrade. I see two folders windows, and windows.old but windows.old is completely empty and all that's in the windows folder is a blank log file. This failure is because of a shitty AIO though as I tried to reinstall an OS and it can't install the OS to the selected drive....even though it's visible and I can partition it however I please. Sony's solution is to use the recovery disc...which he doesn't have....which Sony charges $50 for..

So ya, I've had my first experience with an upgrade failure. Looks like when they fail they fail hard, lol.

My boss brought in his shitty Sony Vaio all-in-one. The specs of the machine aren't shitty, its just that it's an AIO and they're all shitty. Anyways, all he tells me is it won't boot up and after digging around in looks like he tried to do the Windows 10 upgrade from some version of 8. Going into the recovery console, something seriously bad went wrong during the upgrade. I see two folders windows, and windows.old but windows.old is completely empty and all that's in the windows folder is a blank log file. This failure is because of a shitty AIO though as I tried to reinstall an OS and it can't install the OS to the selected drive....even though it's visible and I can partition it however I please. Sony's solution is to use the recovery disc...which he doesn't have....which Sony charges $50 for..

So ya, I've had my first experience with an upgrade failure. Looks like when they fail they fail hard, lol.

Expand the ghost partition that resides in front of the main partition from 50meg's to 100megs. I've ran into this issue before and that's fixed it every time.

Expand the ghost partition that resides in front of the main partition from 50meg's to 100megs. I've ran into this issue before and that's fixed it every time.

Can't, it refuses to install to the drive. I've erased all the partitions and let it automatically create new ones and I've manually created all the system partitions in diskpart, either there's a driver conflict (which is a bitch because its an AIO and Sony only offers packaged executables for their drivers :rolleyes: ), or a hardware failure during update. Guess I won't know till we get the recovery disc and see if it successfully installs.

Can't, it refuses to install to the drive. I've erased all the partitions and let it automatically create new ones and I've manually created all the system partitions in diskpart, either there's a driver conflict (which is a bitch because its an AIO and Sony only offers packaged executables for their drivers :rolleyes: ), or a hardware failure during update. Guess I won't know till we get the recovery disc and see if it successfully installs.

That blows, I've only ever delt with small time tablets and so far they given me the least amount of issues with W10 upgrades. Seeing both windows and windows.old was good but not having the profile under windows.old makes me believe his AIO lost power before the upgrade cached his folder and re-stored it.

So in the Windows 10 installer, you see the hard drive but it still won't install?

So in the Windows 10 installer, you see the hard drive but it still won't install?

Yup, there's an error down at the bottom, forgot the exact verbage but it says Windows can't install to this drive basically. I've seen this error before because the drive is too small or an incompatible partition table but it's a 1TB HDD and I've tried MBR and GPT. Even installed another HDD thinking maybe it was a bad drive but same behavior. I'm sure it's a driver incompatibility or setup is using the incorrect storage controller driver but like I said, Sony only makes the drivers for this system available as executables that only run on the specified hardware.

Number of times win 10 has failed on any of my systems. 0

Same for win 7. I like both just fine.

Back