Surveillance cameras

amrogers3

Gawd
Hello,

I think I am in the right forum.

I am looking to install between 4 to 6 cameras on the outside of my home. What brand do you guys recommend? I have been researching but the review are all over the place on these things.

I got a quote on the following, seems a bit steep, plus I want to buy them myself and I have an electrician that can install for much less than they are charging me.

Installation $596.00

4x LILIN LR7022E4
2 Megapixel 15 FPS - 1080P HD PoE Outdoor IP Bullet Camera 4mm Lens w/Built-In IR $1,196.00

1x LILIN NVR200L-4TB
LILIN 16-Channel, 200FPS Mid-Level NVR with 4TB Storage $979.00

1x LILIN ZLI-PMH-POE08130WT4
8-Port Fast Ethernet Switch with 4 PoE+ Ports and 4 LAN Ports $499.00

Security Camera System Total: $3,270.00

How much of the work are you willing/able to do yourself?

You can source the cameras much cheaper. Search Hikvision on Google or eBay for a great line of quality but lower priced cameras.

A small PoE switch for 6 ports shouldn't cost more than $200.

For the NVR, take a look at a software package called "Blue Iris". it is cheap and can run fine on a mid-range MS system.

All told you should be able to do 6 cameras and an NVR for under $1500, under $1000 if you are aggressive in your shopping and willing to consider some "grey" sources for cameras and/or used equipment for the PoE switch/server.

Or - to go really cheap - just go to CostCo and buy their 4-camera setup and two additional cameras...you'll get out the door with a starter system for under $500.

Ouch.

I use and recommend HIKVision for cameras and NVR (network video recorder). Below is a small list of components that would give you the same if not better quality/performance than the quote.

4x of these cameras: http://amzn.com/B00GYHEG0S
NVR 4 channel if you don't plan on expanding with more cameras: http://amzn.com/B00PQKQ3E6
NVR 8 channel if you might or plan on expanding with more cameras: http://amzn.com/B00X4NI6HO

The NVRs linked provide PoE power so you would not need a switch. However when doing so I noticed that the cameras are not directly accessible on my LAN so I chose to use a PoE switch instead to power the cameras.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Im using Axis M-Series POE cameras for my home security running Axis Camera Companion (Free) Software.

Im also using a Fortinet 8port POE switch (I have a new spare one if you are interested) with a Mac Mini for NVR duties. (Synology NAS worked great - Previous setup)

Someone is trying to pull as fast one on you. All of that equipment is overpriced, unless that includes installation and a... back rub.

As stated, look at the Hikvision stuff. It's what I use (along with a Synology as the NVR) and they work great. If you have a bigger budget, the Axis cams are hard to beat.

I bought a Laview Premium setup with 6 cameras, and slapped another 2 cameras into the mix.

Works great, cost me about $800 total w/ a 2TB NVR. I swapped the 2TB drive out for 2 x 4TB and put the 2TB into service as a storage / backup drive for the NVR.

They're HD1080 cameras that were Hikvision rebadges as many others. So far, its working great

Back