Supreme Commander Thread!

Awesome, thanks! I'll have to double-check tonight. Not sure what I'm going to do with a second copy of the disc since there's only one CD key, but I guess I have a backup in case something goes wrong.

The second disc is not the game its just filled with videos and extras.

So can you make Custom maps like in Warcraft 3/Starcraft to do Turret Defense or other random stuff??????????????

No one wants to answer me :(

So can you make Custom maps like in Warcraft 3/Starcraft to do Turret Defense or other random stuff??????????????

I believe the capability is there, although I'm not sure anyone has done it yet. The world map linked above was actually user-created using a user-created map editor weeks before the retail version of the game came out. You'll probably be able to get a more definitive answer on the gpgnet forums.

The game devs answered this on the SupCom forums and said it is possible and should not be to hard to be done.

Awesome, thanks! I'll have to double-check tonight. Not sure what I'm going to do with a second copy of the disc since there's only one CD key, but I guess I have a backup in case something goes wrong.
Did you buy it at Best Buy. Cuase it comes with a bonus disk from them.

Why cant I view replays from the vault in the game. They work when I go thru GPGnet but not when I try to view them from the game. Gives me the error: Unable to Launch Replay. Whats the point of saving them if they dont even work :confused:

WarriorX I have the same problem.
No explination as to what is wrong it starts to load the game then pops up and says it can't play it

DOUBLE POST I know

how do you assign the units in a build stack a rally point?

I guess I need to go drag TA out of the closet I know it had that feature.

I can't remember the name of the command so I can't look it up.
It was a flag or something.

Just starting campain and this is almost an exact TA game so far. N I C E

wish they would do this for Carmageddon next

DOUBLE POST I know

how do you assign the units in a build stack a rally point?

I guess I need to go drag TA out of the closet I know it had that feature.

I can't remember the name of the command so I can't look it up.
It was a flag or something.

Just starting campain and this is almost an exact TA game so far. N I C E

wish they would do this for Carmageddon next

Select the factory, then right click where you want the rally point.

So far I'm loving this game. But wow is the gameplay complex. The interface is a bit wacky too. Putting a refueling station along the patrol path of aircraft will allow them to refuel at will. Tell factories to assist a main factory will take items off its build queue and send them to a central way point. Surrounding your mass extractors in mass storage, and mass fabs with generators increases efficiency. You can being up a military overlay to place your artillery at just the right range to obliterate base defenses without getting your tanks blown to bits just yet. Setting engineers to patrol so that they reclaim/repair everything they come across. There is so much complexity to the game mechanics that it's taking me a while to wrap my head around it. This is definitely a game for the more hardcore. I doubt I'll ever stray online as just a casual player, except maybe to dick around with friends.

So far I'm loving this game. But wow is the gameplay complex. The interface is a bit wacky too. Putting a refueling station along the patrol path of aircraft will allow them to refuel at will. Tell factories to assist a main factory will take items off its build queue and send them to a central way point. Surrounding your mass extractors in mass storage, and mass fabs with generators increases efficiency. You can being up a military overlay to place your artillery at just the right range to obliterate base defenses without getting your tanks blown to bits just yet. Setting engineers to patrol so that they reclaim/repair everything they come across. There is so much complexity to the game mechanics that it's taking me a while to wrap my head around it. This is definitely a game for the more hardcore. I doubt I'll ever stray online as just a casual player, except maybe to dick around with friends.

It's about time someone implemented all that stuff (well, half of it was in Total Annihilation). I can't tell you how many times I've been frustrated because a defensive building didn't get repaired because the workers was too feet too far away or I had to guess at weapon ranges or wished I could define complex waypoints for units.

I actually think the game could do with more in the way of formation controls, though. Especially if it would let you design custom formations with certain unit counts and arrangements, save them, and queue them up on factories. That would require designating a staging area for the group and then a rally point to move completed formations for things to work well, but it would be awesome to be able to design, for example, a formation of aircraft with interceptors flying point, bombers behind them, then gunships and dropships for assaulting a base.

has anyone put an engineer with a group of tanks and got it to autorepair any damaged units?
I can't get them to auto repair, I have to select them and then tell it the unit to repair.
There has to be a way.
AH HELL where is the manual LOL

Namork online play with friends was where I learned how to play TA. OUCH they schooled me soooooooo bad it wasn't funny.
But they did tell me what to do and what I was doing wrong.
Online against unknowns NO WAY for me

has anyone put an engineer with a group of tanks and got it to autorepair any damaged units?
I can't get them to auto repair, I have to select them and then tell it the unit to repair.
There has to be a way.
AH HELL where is the manual LOL

I have yet to play online, but when I do that in single player, the AI just targets the poor engineer first. :mad:

Watching replays is a good way to improve. Now only if I could view them without having to use GPGnet.

If you have those Tech 1 heavy laser things, the ones that look like spiders, they auto repair.

Yeah, that's a pretty nifty feature of those.

Of course, they're only strong against land-based tech 1 units. You get some medium tanks and they fold fast.

setup a quick patrol route with an engineer, mantis, harbringer, etc and it will repair damaged units it comes across, as well. Not like it takes more than a couple seconds.

Got my replays working. I reinstalled, patched and I have to find them and double click them in the folder. Still unable to get them to view ingame.

So is this game worth getting? I'm mainly inquiring about the multiplayer mode as that is what I enjoy in gaming. Starcraft is the only game I consistently keep playing, is this game better?

I recently played the demos of Supreme Commander and Command and Conquer 3.

As a big fan of Total Annihilation, SC is really TA2. But if you want to play for the missions, CC3 is the way to go. Much better immersion.

Multi player I would go for SC. Much better control, more units, more strategies.

I just started playing Supreme Commander the other night and holy crap is is amazing. I've never been so addicted to an RTS in a very long time. I love the sheer size and breadth of the maps, the depth of the units, the differing strategies that can be experimented with...its incredible. I'm going to be playing this game for a very long time. It runs pretty well on my PC at 1440x900 with all the eye candy turned on (with 4xAA). What an incredible game. The zoom design is awesome.

cry as you econ stall into oblivion.
you can do it if you have some you manually upgraded (and thus dont get selected) and/or have a lot of storages. But otherwise, yeah. excellent way to stall even a late game economy.

I'm finding the game a bit dull so far. Played a few missions but I'm struggling to come back to the game... Company of Heroes was a much better strategy game, it was addictive and had a just one more go feel to it.

Where does SupCom keep its saved game files?

The save game, preferences files, replay files, and other associated game files
can be located at:
o XP: [root:]\Documents and Settings\[userid]\Local Settings\Application
Data\Gas Powered Games\SupremeCommander
o Vista: [root:]\Users\[name]\AppData\Local\Gas Powered
Games\SupremeCommander\savegames\[profile]\

iirc they had to do this so that the game could get the new windows game logo stuff

iirc they had to do this so that the game could get the new windows game logo stuff

I'm glad they did, too. It makes life so much easier when everything can be backed up from my user directory.

Now if only they could make GPGNet work right. I *still* can't get online.

I'm on my THIRD reinstall (that makes four installs all together)

1) Install
2) Find that GPGNet doesn't work
3) Unistall SupCom, the beta, and the demo
4) Reinstalled
5) GPGNet didn't even install
6) Uninstalled SupCom
7) Uninstalled and reinstalled MS .Net 2.0 per GPG's indication that it is a frequent cause of the problem
8) Reinstalled SupCom
9) Still no GPGNet
10) Uninstalled SupCom
11) Removed every mention of GPG in the registry that looked like it might be a problem
12) Am currently reinstalling. This takes FOREVER

This is a known problem and GPG is more or less ignoring it :( They need to release a GPGNet installer so that I don't have to spend an hour removing and reinstalling the game.

I'm finding the game a bit dull so far. Played a few missions but I'm struggling to come back to the game... Company of Heroes was a much better strategy game, it was addictive and had a just one more go feel to it.

Have you played online yet? Online play is super competitive and fast paced. Also when more mods come out it should get very interesting and fun with all the new content. There is already a terrain deform mod out :).

Woohoo the registry hacking fixed my GPGNet problem.

Getting online later today, expecting to lose badly.

Have you played online yet? Online play is super competitive and fast paced. Also when more mods come out it should get very interesting and fun with all the new content. There is already a terrain deform mod out :).

No I haven't tried online, and probably won't ever get the chance. My wife will divorce me if I get into online gaming faster than you can say UEF!

I just got through playing the SC demo and the CC3 demo. While I liked both, I enjoyed SC more for the new & refreshing style of game play. Although, my favorite 'new' rts game is still CoH.

I've been playing SC for a little while now. The single player was dull and slow. The plot just isn't interesting and in an RTS, it's necessary to have a good plot. CC3 will have much better single player.

Multiplayer on SC is a different story. Very intense and fun! The ranked games suck since it's all about rushing, but custom games can be incredibly fun. It's like one HUGE rock/paper/scissors game. So many different strategies. It's very interesting to play.

I will say though that my online games crash 50%+ of the time. It's extremely frustrating. I had a game crash after 3.5 hours, a ton of nukes, and about 50 experimental units were destroyed. It was the most incredible game so far and it crashed before I could finish it :(

Back