Supreme Commander Thread!

Yeah its a DX10 game, but the patch to turn it on probably wont be out until some decent drivers arrive.

I doubt they would sit on a patch waiting for another company to develop better drivers. However that being said, nVidia did finally release WHQL Vista drivers yesterday for 8800 series cards.

Just got the game today. The single player campaign is great, but the multiplayer is incredible. I've only played one game of multiplayer, but that one game was one of the finest multiplayer experiences I've ever had. I think this game could be my new "Starcraft".

SupCom 3217 Release Notes:

* Build 3217 represents a full integration from the game's main development branch, reflecting many changes to the game's code base. Only the partial highlights are included here.
* Fully updated release notes regarding balance and gameplay changes forthcoming.
* Support for Direct2Drive download version enabled.
* Several color, prop, texture, normal map and effects adjustments throughout the game.
* Several animation and animation speed adjustments throughout the game.
* Note that Build 3217 does not include an update to GPGnet. Current GPGnet version is 1.5.52.
* Add open/close slot functionality.
* Fix observer button appearing/disappearing
* Chat history should now only display the senders name on the first line of every message.
* Fixed an issue with the chat window that was making the allies and all buttons function incorrectly.
* Pausing the game then opening and closing a menu that pauses the game will no longer unpause the game. It will remain paused until the user unpauses.
* Game no longer hangs when minimizing during a non-interactive sequence.
* Rules for reclaiming building have changed significantly, reducing a possible game exploit.
* Commanders can no longer overcharge each other.
* Commander nuke detonation set at 4000 damage.

Apparently there's a minimal UI in the patch too. Hit alt + up until you see it.

EDIT: Also hearing that T3 gunships have been nerfed via increase in cost and build time!

Nice changes, every change on that list including the T3 gunship one sound like it will improve the game a good deal.

So I drove a 60 mile round trip yesterday in torrential rain to pick up my pre-ordered copy of SupCom. It turns out ebgames didnt' get them in >.<. I was so upset I had to preorder c&c3!

Today I managed to get back there and pick it up. Currently installing. :) Unfortunately I'm still awaiting my dsl modem at my new house so I probably won't be able to multiplay at the moment. I'm really looking forward to this - any rts with the initials S.C. must be good.

Is SLI disabled in the control panel and on your MB?

Just in control panel. If I have to disable it on the m/b then f' that. It ain't worth it for one game. Majority of my other games I play actually use SLI.

I got it to at least enable the secondary display adapter, and set resolution. It restarts, after hitting OK but it then adjusts my primary display down and still shows nothing on my secondary. I got this far by enabling in the "Windows" control panel the second monitor.

Picked mine up from EB and somehow they didn't get "ANY" of the bonus disks at their store. Anyone else encounter this problem?

Im currently playing the single player Aeon campaign. The missions are long, and geez the Independance day type cutscene at the end of the first mission blew me away.

Picked mine up from EB and somehow they didn't get "ANY" of the bonus disks at their store. Anyone else encounter this problem?

Same here, slightly pissed me off, but by the time I got home and started playing I mostly forgot about it.

SupCom 3217 Release Notes:

* Build 3217 represents a full integration from the game's main development branch, reflecting many changes to the game's code base. Only the partial highlights are included here.
* Fully updated release notes regarding balance and gameplay changes forthcoming.
* Support for Direct2Drive download version enabled.
* Several color, prop, texture, normal map and effects adjustments throughout the game.
* Several animation and animation speed adjustments throughout the game.
* Note that Build 3217 does not include an update to GPGnet. Current GPGnet version is 1.5.52.
* Add open/close slot functionality.
* Fix observer button appearing/disappearing
* Chat history should now only display the senders name on the first line of every message.
* Fixed an issue with the chat window that was making the allies and all buttons function incorrectly.
* Pausing the game then opening and closing a menu that pauses the game will no longer unpause the game. It will remain paused until the user unpauses.
* Game no longer hangs when minimizing during a non-interactive sequence.
* Rules for reclaiming building have changed significantly, reducing a possible game exploit.
* Commanders can no longer overcharge each other.
* Commander nuke detonation set at 4000 damage.

Apparently there's a minimal UI in the patch too. Hit alt + up until you see it.

EDIT: Also hearing that T3 gunships have been nerfed via increase in cost and build time!

Yeah, the T3 Gunships part really sucks. I use 'em in pretty much every match... :(

Yeah, the T3 Gunships part really sucks. I use 'em in pretty much every match... :(

i hates them! lol, they were way too powerful and ppl usually would just rush them and pwn your base :(, but air superiority fighters FTW :p

Yesterday's funny:

My third game:
Played as Cybran agains a UEF Challenge AI.
I was pretty holed up, shielded up, upgraded.
AI got a T3 arty online and starts beating the fuck out of me.
So I panic and started building a nuke.
Nuke finally finishes, after about half the base is toasted.
Missile takes about 3 more minutes to build.
Click to fire, and then realise I can't see where I want to go, so I click on the unit adjascent to the nuke.
Zoom out to fire the nuke, realise it's already in the air, and then realise where it's headed.
Start swearing at the top of my lungs, and zoom in for the carnage.
Big. Fucking. Boom.

:p

Haha :p this is my first RTS game and wow im sucking so much. Ive only played a little vs the computer and i get owned most of the time. I gotta ask 2 questions. First is there anyway you can change the view a little ? Like when you zoom in, can you change the camera angle? And is there any site to give tips etc for new RTS player :) or a supcom site with strategies etc? I feel like im really slow.. the computer kill me too fast lol

Haha :p this is my first RTS game and wow im sucking so much. Ive only played a little vs the computer and i get owned most of the time. I gotta ask 2 questions. First is there anyway you can change the view a little ? Like when you zoom in, can you change the camera angle? And is there any site to give tips etc for new RTS player :) or a supcom site with strategies etc? I feel like im really slow.. the computer kill me too fast lol

Goto www.gaspowered.com and check out the forums look under the supcom stragtegy of the week forum and gameplay forum. A great way of learning is also checking out the game replays from good players.

To change the view:
Hold the space bar and move the mouse, letting go of space returns to default view.

Hit Ctrl + v and hold down space while moving the mouse, letting go of space will not return back to default view. Hitting ctrl + v again and then space will put it back to default view.

My game crashes when I try to launch GPGnet :(

I think I need to reinstall. That's gonna be a pain.

Oh, the game loads insanely fast off a 15k SCSI drive :D

Don't reload...just reboot your computer...I was having the same issue.

Started playing on Sunday, and have since probably put around 5 hours into the game, maybe a little more. I started the single player as the Aeon.
SO far I am pretty impressed. i am not used to this kind of RTS, where so many units are so expendable. The last ones I played all the way through were CivIII and WCIII:TFT and Company of Heroes.
I have been rather surprised with how well this game plays on my system. The only real slow down I see is when my ACU lands, an ACU blows or any other huge bloom effect occurs. Seems to me that RAM is probably more important that a hugely expensive video card. NOW, does that mean I won't be buying a DX10 card soon? NO. But for now, I am just fine with what I've got, and i can wait till those cards come down in price.

Some complaints, however:
The scroll-in-scroll-out method of navigating the map drives me nutz. I have dual monitors hooked up, which I LOVE, but clicking on the minimap does not send my main monitor to that location. This takes some getting used to. Also, not having a marker on the map for where my view is located is also weird. I'm used to the little cone of light that shows you where your camera is and what you can see.
Third, the constant reminder from your boss that you taking too long on the map is ABSOLUTELY RETARDED.
"Knight/Champion, the pricess is concerned you are taking too long withtheh Cybran..." or "check your mission assignments for more info, knight..." etc.
Holy shit it drives me up a wall. (If someone can tell me how to turn this down or off, I will owe you for ever)

Finally, unit creation times are way too long. It takes too long just to make a transport that can only carry six units.

As for the things i like:
The dual monitors. being able to set one monitor to my main base and the other to the main battlefront. Dr00l.

The action queue for each unit. Being able to set an engineer to construct a mass extractor and defense guns, and then being able to forget about it is SO nice.
Same goes with pathing for patrols and waypoints.

The graphics. While not astounding as I thought they would be, they are clean and nice, with no major flaws. (At first I experienced major video tearing and artifacting. I turned down the settings which made them go away. I then eased them back up and have not had a problem since.)

The best scene I see on every map is when the first few airplanes from the other base come cruising in, I set up a few AA guns. After that, most planes die before getting into view, and all I see is AA guns and then a smoking, flaming plane corpse exploding onto my base. Especially transports. That's good stuff.

Edit:(Oh, and I had some issues to begin with concerning Audio, or lack thereof. If you are using an onboard sound solution with sigmatel drivers, it won't work. It's all over the SupCom forums. Also, there seem to be issues with CreativeLabs Xfi soundcards. I had the former issue, and because Creative finally came out with Vista 64x SBLive 24-bit drivers, I popped my old card in and it worked with no issues after that.)

nullzero can you give link to the replay movies?
I have looked over on the site and forums are down and checked support
and there are a lot of post in strategy sections but no mention of movies.

thanks for help

Edit:(Oh, and I had some issues to begin with concerning Audio, or lack thereof. If you are using an onboard sound solution with sigmatel drivers, it won't work. It's all over the SupCom forums.

Might not work in Vista, but works awesome in XP. Sorry you're having a problem.

Other than that, if your builds are slow, have an engineer or ACU assIst. (an old TA function known as guard for the uninitiated).

Imho, the scroll wheel zoom is one of the greatest things to ever happen to RTS. micromanage to strategic view in one motion. It Rawks.

Might not work in Vista, but works awesome in XP. Sorry you're having a problem.

Other than that, if your builds are slow, have an engineer or ACU assIst. (an old TA function known as guard for the uninitiated).

Imho, the scroll wheel zoom is one of the greatest things to ever happen to RTS. micromanage to strategic view in one motion. It Rawks.

It's not a Vista thing, it's across OS's. Check out the GPG forums on it, it's all over the place. It's kinda funny that I had to break out a 2 year old sound card to play a brand new game. But hey, that sound card cost me 20$ back in teh day and it still puts out great sound.

And my complaint about the scroll wheel isn't realy that. i am getting used to it, and find it nice. At first it got me kinda dizzy tho. I just wish you could click on the minimap(in this case my 2nd monitor) and have your main view zoom in there.

Only disappointment in the game is some of the turrets could be more amazing, anyone remember the Bertha unit? I would love if they would put a off button on some of the super high end canon weapons since I like to shoot the a few times but there's no glory as good as having my army march in to finish the job, there's a rewarding feeling when you slowly cripple the enemy.

Only disappointment in the game is some of the turrets could be more amazing, anyone remember the Bertha unit? I would love if they would put a off button on some of the super high end canon weapons since I like to shoot the a few times but there's no glory as good as having my army march in to finish the job, there's a rewarding feeling when you slowly cripple the enemy.

Just click the don't fire button.

Bertha = T3 arty.
Hold fire button.

Just got done playing a skirmish from the demo, and wow... I can already tell this game is going to be responsible for a LOT of wasted hours :D

Gonna pick up a copy tomorrow

I'm sure I will love this game, not that I finally have it installed properly. I had memory issues that thankfully appear to be behind me with using old sticks. I played a quick game last, was saddened when my two T2 artillery turrets took our the AI commander before I could pound the base with my tanks. :(

I picked up SupCom yesterday, but won't install it until I'm back on my main rig. I got spoiled by 1920x1200 at full settings :p.

In any case, quick question: how many discs are supposed to be in the case? I opened mine up and there are two discs (DVDs I presume) but there's no markings to denote disc 1, disc 2 etc. Did I just get a random extra copy of the disc or is there extra content on one of them?

I ran into a frustrating bug yesterday, on the second or third UEF mission (Its the mission right before you head to the Cybrian planet Minerva). The enemy commander was invulnerable for some reason. I thought that I had to destroy his base first, to make him vulnerable, but when I loaded my save earlier this morning, he was not invulnerable and was quickly dispatched by my cruiser / destroyer fleet sitting off-shore.

I picked up SupCom yesterday, but won't install it until I'm back on my main rig. I got spoiled by 1920x1200 at full settings :p.

In any case, quick question: how many discs are supposed to be in the case? I opened mine up and there are two discs (DVDs I presume) but there's no markings to denote disc 1, disc 2 etc. Did I just get a random extra copy of the disc or is there extra content on one of them?

Mine is a single DVD, so unless you got a collector's edition (never seen it myself) or something, it's probably just that you got two discs. Redundancy ftw :D

Mine is a single DVD, so unless you got a collector's edition (never seen it myself) or something, it's probably just that you got two discs. Redundancy ftw :D
Awesome, thanks! I'll have to double-check tonight. Not sure what I'm going to do with a second copy of the disc since there's only one CD key, but I guess I have a backup in case something goes wrong.

Back