Supermicro X9SCM-F F/W 2.0?

war9200

Limp Gawd
You need version 2.00 BIOS for this board to support Ivy Bridge, does anyone know if the boards sold today have this version? Reading some comments on newegg, last month they came with the older version, so you either have to buy 2 cpus or cross-rma the board if you wanted to run with Ivy bridge?

Just ordered one and two Xeon CPUs, v1 and v2, then will return the v1 after flash if I have to flash it, else just return the v1.

If you open the CPU package, no one will take it back. Even if you tried to return it as DOA, they will only exchange it for another, not refund it.
Just a snippet from newegg, which is pretty much the same policy as everyone when it comes to CPUs

OEM CPUs:

Refund period: Non-refundable
Replacement period: 30 days from original invoice date

Retail CPUs:

Refund period: Non-refundable
Replacement period: 30 days from original invoice date

Additional CPU Warranty Terms

All defective and DOA CPUs will be replaced upon return.
Newegg will not cross-ship replacement CPUs.
Physically damaged CPUs cannot be returned to Newegg.com, including physical damage due to improper installation.

There may be other stores that allow for CPU returns :)

Hopefully I won't have to open it, but we'll see.

..or just get a board with C216 chipset?
Alternatively a board that supports IB ootb, Gigabyte have a few models and I'm sure others do too.
//Danne

Last edited:
Yeah, but I had my eye on that board for awhile and Newegg has 15% off code TODAY only for all supermicro server motherboards.

Coupon Link Description Coupon Code Expiration
Newegg.com 10% off Select Power Supplies. PSU0612 7/8/2012
Newegg.com 15% off select LSI and 3ware Controller Card. LSI3WARE622 6/28/2012
Newegg.com 15% off select Razer Items. EMCYTZT1781 6/21/2012
Newegg.com 15% off Supermicro Server Motherboards. JUNSMC62112 6/24/2012
Newegg.com 30% off LED Light Bulbs. LEDBULB30 6/25/2012

And I also wanted Micro ATX form factor -- Could not find any C216 chipset supermicro w/MicroATX

There is a new version of the X9SCM coming out soon, X9SCM-iiF, which will support v2 IVB Xeons out of the box. This won't help the OP, but others might want to wait. My guess is it will hit retail in early July (there are some betas selling on ebay now for twice the expected retail price)

http://www.supermicro.com/products/motherboard/Xeon/C202_C204/X9SCM-IIF.cfm

Just a comment... I got an IIF board from SuperBiiz and it's not POSTing with a v2 CPU. I don't have a SB to test with, so I don't know what the problem is yet. Some folks think it may still be using the old BIOS.

Waiting for response from SuperMicro.

Edit: It was the power supply. See here.

Last edited:
I bought my X9SCM-F from SuperBiiz and it came with the Bios 2.0 right out of the box. Don't have a Xeon to test though.

My X9SCM-iiF from superbiiz worked out of the box with a Xeon E3 v2 CPU.

I took the risk of getting an x9scm board and an IB chip and it wouldn't boot. I checked via IPMI and of course I got shipped a 1.x bios board. I just ordered it a week or two ago from Newegg so I thought I'd be ok since others reported getting v2 boards.

Any suggestions on how to proceed?

Would this warrant an RMA?

^ Newegg, :rolleyes: There's your problem, I think everyone else has been getting fresher stock from superbiiz. Yeah send that damn thing back to Newegg, don't let them charge a restocking fee (call up their CSR's or online-chat to make sure no restocking fee beforehand since it "doesnt work"). Then grab one from superbiiz

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Back