• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

supermicro Atom home sever $300

andrew911tt

Limp Gawd
Joined
Apr 13, 2005
Messages
449
I am thinking about getting this for a home file server/media streamer.
I am not sure if I want to run WHS or W7.
Any thoughts or suggestion?

Also someone may what to put this in the deals section because it is a pretty good deal.

Combo deal $300

SUPERMICRO CSE-731i-300B Black Pedestal Server Case w/ 300W Power Supply 2 External 5.25" Drive Bays
SUPERMICRO MBD-X7SPA-H-O Mini ITX Intel Atom D510 processor Server Motherboard
Patriot 2GB 200-Pin DDR2 SO-DIMM DDR2 667 (PC2 5300)
Seagate Barracuda 7200.12 ST31000528AS 1TB 7200 RPM 32MB
 
It would work fine as a small home media server, but streaming content may be a lot for the little Atom to handle if it's high-definition or anything close to it
 
I use an atom d510 to transcode and stream media daily. It is about 2x realtime up to dvd quality.
Posted via [H] Mobile Device
 
I would not be using it to trans-code. Just stream native files.

I don't think you would have an issue then.. The limiting factor would be more of your hard drives transfer rate followed by the Network itself.

Edit: & yea I jsut looked into the hardware there.. That is a hell of a deal infact..
 
Back
Top