Super noob question

tantalus

Limp Gawd
Hi all, until now, my movie/tv consumption has consisted of Netflix or Hulu and Prime video. But as selection gets more limited, I find myself wanting to watch more downloaded stuff.

Here's my question: If I have only 1 TV, and if ALL I want to do is play downloaded movies on that TV, is there any reason to use an HTPC instead of just running an HDMI from my laptop to the TV? The open laptop doesn't look elegant, but I can live with that.

I have a TCL R615 55" tv and a Lenovo T450s laptop. So far I've used the Cast function and it works, but only sometimes. I'd like to play the movies in 1080p. I've researched Kobi and Plex and whatnot, but I find it all kind of baffling. I'm kind of a neanderthal when it comes to TVs and media. I understand Plex etc. have media libraries, but that's not terribly important to me. I'm a one and done (and delete) watcher.

There is one problem with HDMI. My laptop doesn't have an HDMI output, so I have to use a VGA to HDMI adapter. So far I haven't been able to make that work. My TCL doesn't recognize the laptop.

Thanks!

Last edited:
Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
I'm a one and done (and delete) watcher.

Download the files & copy to a USB Stick. Your TV should have a USB port on the side/back of it & select that as the Source (either on the remote itself or from the Media Player that 99% of "SMART" TV's have in them.

Holy crap you can do that? It most def has a USB.

Download the files & copy to a USB Stick. Your TV should have a USB port on the side/back of it & select that as the Source (either on the remote itself or from the Media Player that 99% of "SMART" TV's have in them.

Yea, but they notoriously SUCK at playing common high def Linux Distro files. And you'd be shuttling files on and off that USB stick all the time. DEFINITELY not on demand.
They're mostly for viewing images and playing music.
thats wasnt my suggestion i was only agreeing that its possible. playback off a connected pc, like he wants, is how ive rolled for years and years.

Ive used my old T420s with a VGA and and AUX cable on the back of the TV.

Wireless keyboard mouse combo like the Logitech K400.

I didnt bother with any converters or anything like that because both of these cables are super easy to find and exceedingly cheap. (I am admittedly a cheapo sometimes)

Ive used my old T420s with a VGA and and AUX cable on the back of the TV.

Wireless keyboard mouse combo like the Logitech K400.

I didnt bother with any converters or anything like that because both of these cables are super easy to find and exceedingly cheap. (I am admittedly a cheapo sometimes)
the tcl doesnt have vga, i checked. but that is one of the simplest solutions and its KISS.

There is one problem with HDMI. My laptop doesn't have an HDMI output, so I have to use a VGA to HDMI adapter. So far I haven't been able to make that work. My TCL doesn't recognize the laptop.

I believe the T450s should have a mini display port, just get mini display port to hdmi dongle or cable and you should be all set.

I believe the T450s should have a mini display port, just get mini display port to hdmi dongle or cable and you should be all set.

That is my current set up now with TV in the bedroom. Currently using a Thinkpad X250

Back