Super Mario 3D World -- Worth Playing Single Player?

Is Super Mario 3D world worth it for primarily single player gaming?

• Yes

Votes: 27 90.0%
  • No

Votes: 3 10.0%

• Total voters

cinohpa

Limp Gawd
I'm kind of interested in Super Mario 3D world for the graphical and musical experience, but I'm afraid it will leave me disappointed because it seems like the design wasn't primarily done with single player in mind.

The last Mario game I played was Super Mario 64. I think I'm going to try Super Mario Galaxy soon too. Should I just skip Super Mario 3d world and go straight for SMG? Or is 3d world worth it?

the game is lots of fun in single player...

I would recommend Mario Sunshine before playing Super Mario Galaxy and then after you are done, move to Super Mario Galaxy 2

Super Mario 3d World is a fantastic game, and is very fun Single Player, the MP co-op aspect is fun as well, but you can easily do this by yourself without any trouble.

A lot of throwbacks to Galaxy in this btw.

Super Mario 3d World is a fantastic game, and is very fun Single Player, the MP co-op aspect is fun as well, but you can easily do this by yourself without any trouble.

A lot of throwbacks to Galaxy in this btw.

and to the original SMB series as well

I would play this game if I was dead, thats now good it is.

Of course it is. Single player is a complete blast. Multiplayer is fun as all hell, too.

Yes , yes , yes , yes and yes. Its good enough that its worth buying the Wii U for.

The game is great playing single player. I haven't touched multi-player and don't feel like I've missed a thing. Its easily my favorite mario since Mario 64.

Some of the later levels seem like they would be too hard in multiplayer. You're always carefully timing your jumps. Taking breaks to gather your composure, etc.

SP is fun, i also play it 'supporting' my almost 6 yr old daughter, so she has a blast. But SP alone is all id want out of it, and it delivers.

Yes , yes , yes , yes and yes. Its good enough that its worth buying the Wii U for.

i dont know about that. I bought a Wii-U launch day, and honestly, im just glad there is finally a game WORTH playing on it. Wouldnt go out and buy one soley for it however.

i dont know about that. I bought a Wii-U launch day, and honestly, im just glad there is finally a game WORTH playing on it. Wouldnt go out and buy one soley for it however.

Having completed the game (nearly) I can say it is and would recommend it to any big fan of Mario. Its a return to form that the series has needed. I like 3D World more than the Galaxies games so for me its been just fantastic.

Yup, definately worth it single. Haven't beat the game yet (on the last world I think) but it's been great fun so far. Better than the new super mario brothers 2d, I forget it's name, that quickly became a exercise in frustration.

I probably should switch characters some time but Peach's hover is just too danged useful. So far she's the only one i've used. Almost feels a bit cheaty in a few places as there's short and difficult sections one can just skip.

I just picked this up a couple days ago but I've only played a little bit. So far it's pretty awesome and this might be bad but I like that the levels seem shorter. I am having fun, though, and I think that the graphics look great.

My Wii U came with Mario/Luigi U and I thought that looked good just because 2D stuff should be easy on the hardware, but I was impressed that 3D Worlds looks as good as it does, as in, I'm playing on a 52" TV with HDMI and I don't see any jaggies. The framerate is smooth and the visuals are clean. I was going to put off Wind Waker HD since I played the original (to the end but didn't finish) but I caved and ordered it since it'll probably look good.

Just in the first world there are some fun stages so I'm looking forward to playing further into it.

uggg you guys are making me want to buy the wii u just for this game

I just bought the wii u with Mario 3d and it's pretty amazing. It's the first console that I've bought for myself since dreamcast in 1999. I just wish there were more exclusives for it - Zelda, Mario kart, star fox, etc, etc. Those games were great on n64. It's definitely a change from pc gaming.

I just bought the wii u with Mario 3d and it's pretty amazing. It's the first console that I've bought for myself since dreamcast in 1999. I just wish there were more exclusives for it - Zelda, Mario kart, star fox, etc, etc. Those games were great on n64. It's definitely a change from pc gaming.

Nintendo has more exclusives then any other console? Not sure I understand that complaint. In fact the exclusives are the reason people buy them in the first place.

I think the next 2 years for the Wii U are going to very fruitful.

Nintendo has more exclusives then any other console? Not sure I understand that complaint. In fact the exclusives are the reason people buy them in the first place..

He was complaining that the exclusives aren't out yet (IE Mario Kart, Zelda) or not announced (Star Fox, Metroid).

He was complaining that the exclusives aren't out yet (IE Mario Kart, Zelda) or not announced (Star Fox, Metroid).

You generally won't get them all until the end of a console cycle. Portable platforms on the other hand you'll get them within a few years. I'm glad they take there time frankly , Super Mario 3D World is amazing and reeks of hard work.

You generally won't get them all until the end of a console cycle. Portable platforms on the other hand you'll get them within a few years. I'm glad they take there time frankly , Super Mario 3D World is amazing and reeks of hard work.

kinda peters out a bit in the last level though. The last few levels are basically recycled boxx levels from earlier. The end boss, while amusing left me going "that's it"? Had a much harder time on the lava stage on that level. (kept finding a little bug where it just kicked you off the rotating platform if you stood in the wrong place at the wrong time.

Still a very well done game though.

Just picked this up full price. First game Ive done so for in a LONG time. WELL worth it imo. Having a blast with my wife on it. Extra controllers should be in today so we can finally get into some MP!

I finished this yesterday and thought it was a fairly enjoyable (not difficult) game. I currently have too many unplayed games to spend time learning the intricacies of tedious platformers so I had fun with this. There were some areas that had a small learning curve but nothing too tough. I was able to collect all stars and stamps and I'll finish the encore stages and then I'm going to play Wind Waker HD.

I played it by myself and the only character-related thing in the game that I saw was that 2 or 3 buttons required specific characters to press them. Also, I can't imagine how you would get Mario to hit the top of the flag pole on some stages, that must require a good running start and accuracy. Out of laziness, I used Princess most of the time (she floats).

edit: If you like rage-inducing platformers, that comes after you beat the game. There are two different bonus areas. I made it to the second area and I think I'm just going to end it there and go play another game that doesn't make ME FEEL LIKE A PIECE OF SHIT!@#!%#@

Last edited:
edit: If you like rage-inducing platformers, that comes after you beat the game. There are two different bonus areas. I made it to the second area and I think I'm just going to end it there and go play another game that doesn't make ME FEEL LIKE A PIECE OF SHIT!@#!%#@

Wait.. there's bonus areas? I beat it recently and didn't notice any. Does one need more than the 170 green stars to get to them? (I kinda barely had enough at the end)

Wait.. there's bonus areas? I beat it recently and didn't notice any. Does one need more than the 170 green stars to get to them? (I kinda barely had enough at the end)
Go to world 1 and there should be faeries floating around a land formation in the water right near the beginning of the area. Go there and press A. I'm not sure if there's a star requirement because I had all stars but don't remember it asking for any to unlock.

Back