SUPER HOT 500gb WD for 59.99 with coup B&M YMMV

Sold out in Westbury/long island.. 1tb for 110$ that would be perfect for my fx-60 build DAM!!!

Sold out my ASS ! :p

I had a friend that use to work there and he told me that when ever something like that
happens and they find out they F#%KED UP they rip them
off the shelves and throw them in the back until the smoke clears !!! :mad:

I got 6 of them: 6x$59.99 + tax = $392.33 out the door.

I could have had more, but the sales rep limited my greed. :p

Note: They had them all in the back.

Is the link working for anyone? When I try to download the coupon it says
Accessing directly the download link doesn't work. The download only starts if you click from the download page.
Tried in Opera, Firefox and IE. Anyone have another link?

I tried price matching them with all the local Best Buy and Circuit City stores, but they wouldn't honor it, they said the store has to been within 30 miles, and my nearest microcenter is in Cambridge,MA which is about 2 hours drive :(

hmm i live in michigan and maybe ill goto tomorrow and see if I can get one of these.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bait_and_switch

Don't bother. It's a missprint, not a bait and switch... They even placed large signs all over appologizing for the mistake.

Well, with enough will power you can do anything. (So it seems) My best friend headed over to the Micro Center near his work in Michigan - walked in, asked them to honor the coupon price, they refused. He pulled out a sheet of paper stating that they were knowingly committing illegal business practices Which included : Bait and Switch - False advertisement. Asked the woman to sign it, and she refused, he then stated that if she was unwilling to sign it, he was going to record her stating her name, and that she is unwilling to honor the coupon's price. She then relented and said she'd contact the Store manager for Michigan, she did so, and they honored the price. He was only able to get one though :(. This was less than 10minutes ago as of this post :)

I really don't believe this, I was there today and there was no way in hell that you'd be able to convince them, especially with the large sign in the front, shelf, and random places mentioning a pricing error. Now if you did indeed get that ONE drive, then it was probably for the reason that they got tired of all the bitching and nagging.

Also, FYI, it wasn't false advertisement, it was an pricing error on the coupon which was beyond any kinda hot deal. Also, bait and switch is when you lure a customer and try to upsell them or get them to buy a diffrent product... which is clearly not what they are doing. Also, for what it's worth, thier ad clearly stated in the titile the correct price and the coupon was the only incorrect thing, so it's not like it was an intentional error.

Not only is it a misprint but their math sucks. The OP link goes to a coupon that says $59.99 - reg. $69.99 - Save $20.

:confused: :confused: :confused:

Am I the only one who noticed this?

so is it worth it for me to hit up microcenter this morning?
or am i SOL?
ps im in michigan too

Im Georgia, they are honoring it like a reg. price, but it's sold out, so I'm going to go do a pricematch at a bestbuy or so.

Anyone here live around Atlanta?

Im Georgia, they are honoring it like a reg. price, but it's sold out, so I'm going to go do a pricematch at a bestbuy or so.

Anyone here live around Atlanta?

Yes. LMK if you have success on the PM, and if so, where.

Gonna try the MicroCenter in Denver, and if that doesn't work then attempt a PM to Best Buy. I'll let you guys know...

Just FYI, the coupon says it expires 2/12, which is tomorrow.

The update, as promised - just FYI, this is in Denver, CO.

I called ahead, and the rep I talked to on the phone said they would honor the coupon. So, I went down, and in store the rep I talked to said they wouldn't honor it. I told the rep in store that I had called ahead and gotten approval from a CSR, and driven a long ways (~30 mins) to come and get one, so he talked with his manager and got him to let me have one for that price (if I could have gotten 2, I totally would have hooked you up monk...) The store still had 10 left, and the manager (Brian) didn't seem to worried about honoring on a 1-per-customer basis.

Slightly OT: Currently I have a 250gb PATA Maxtor as my primary drive, but I am wondering if I would see a decent speed increase by using this one as my primary (larger platters, newer tech)... Can anyone comment?

Thanks!

Don't bother. It's a missprint, not a bait and switch... They even placed large signs all over appologizing for the mistake.

I really don't believe this, I was there today and there was no way in hell that you'd be able to convince them, especially with the large sign in the front, shelf, and random places mentioning a pricing error. Now if you did indeed get that ONE drive, then it was probably for the reason that they got tired of all the bitching and nagging.

Also, FYI, it wasn't false advertisement, it was an pricing error on the coupon which was beyond any kinda hot deal. Also, bait and switch is when you lure a customer and try to upsell them or get them to buy a diffrent product... which is clearly not what they are doing. Also, for what it's worth, thier ad clearly stated in the titile the correct price and the coupon was the only incorrect thing, so it's not like it was an intentional error.

First of all, thank you for calling me a liar :). Secondly your FYI's were largely based on nothing but your own opinions. Thus, I suggest you read up a bit on Bait and Switch. Also, you should note this company has a track record of putting these mislabeled coupons out. And normally (in the North East) do not honor the coupons.

Finally, I should note my friend did indeed get the drive, your beliefs while recognized are somewhat misguided.

The regional manager was the one that approved the coupon, after consulting other branches. He verified that it was a legit coupon and he would gladly honor the coupon as a mistake on behalf of the company - he noted "we're not trying to rip anyone off here". Which is clearly not the case. This was a Bait and Switch tactic, and had the Regional Manager been sure it was not, he would have signed the document stating they were aware of their practices and dismissed the notion of taking roughly $100 hit on behalf of the company to stop one customer from 'nagging'.

(Opinion) This is not a large chain, and all this added 'hype' is clearly something to make people aware of their stores.

First of all, thank you for calling me a liar :). Secondly your FYI's were largely based on nothing but your own opinions. Thus, I suggest you read up a bit on Bait and Switch. Also, you should note this company has a track record of putting these mislabeled coupons out. And normally (in the North East) do not honor the coupons.

Finally, I should note my friend did indeed get the drive, your beliefs while recognized are somewhat misguided.

The regional manager was the one that approved the coupon, after consulting other branches. He verified that it was a legit coupon and he would gladly honor the coupon as a mistake on behalf of the company - he noted "we're not trying to rip anyone off here". Which is clearly not the case. This was a Bait and Switch tactic, and had the Regional Manager been sure it was not, he would have signed the document stating they were aware of their practices and dismissed the notion of taking roughly $100 hit on behalf of the company to stop one customer from 'nagging'.

(Opinion) This is not a large chain, and all this added 'hype' is clearly something to make people aware of their stores.

Unless you are a lawyer that practices in that field, maybe you should let it go....both of you. This is a Hotdeal forum, not some pissing contest.

Well interesting... Because I talked to their CSR and their regional manager and it was a no go and they were clear on their stance.

Also, they had a poster up at the front, registers, and by the drives indicating that they will NOT honor the coupon and that it was a price mistake. If you know your laws like you pretend you do, you would also know that under Michigan law they do not have to honor if they delcare a pricing error before you even scoop up the drive (ex, sign at the front)

So I don't know where I am doing any assuming or anything because I myself tried and also it appears as if the staff had many people come into the morning as they seemed to be prepared for the coupon question. Unless if your buddy was the first person/group of persons to hit that store, I'm going to call shens on your story.

Not a large chain? Now that is funny. Thats like saying Newegg is a small online store and fry's electronics is a small store. They have their own brand systems, operate 20 62,000sq stores with over 35,000 products in inventory, operate a large ecommerce site, and is a sister company to many other companies under the umbrella of Micro Electronics. Oh and also a 1.083 Billion dollar a year revenue is ANYTHING but small.

Anyone knowing if they are honoring this in chicago? I have a 3ware 9550sx-8lp with 6 empty slots :)

Well interesting... Because I talked to their CSR and their regional manager and it was a no go and they were clear on their stance.

Also, they had a poster up at the front, registers, and by the drives indicating that they will NOT honor the coupon and that it was a price mistake. If you know your laws like you pretend you do, you would also know that under Michigan law they do not have to honor if they delcare a pricing error before you even scoop up the drive (ex, sign at the front)

So I don't know where I am doing any assuming or anything because I myself tried and also it appears as if the staff had many people come into the morning as they seemed to be prepared for the coupon question. Unless if your buddy was the first person/group of persons to hit that store, I'm going to call shens on your story.

Not a large chain? Now that is funny. Thats like saying Newegg is a small online store and fry's electronics is a small store. They have their own brand systems, operate 20 62,000sq stores with over 35,000 products in inventory, operate a large ecommerce site, and is a sister company to many other companies under the umbrella of Micro Electronics. Oh and also a 1.083 Billion dollar a year revenue is ANYTHING but small.

I chose my words carefully. As such, when I stated they were a 'small chain' I meant just that - and further it was an opinion (as stated) not fact. Which means it was how I looked at the store. Also, I should note when I say small chain, I mean small in the sense that they only have 19 locations in the U.S.

And it's humorous to wonder why I'd make something like that up, but alas, arguing on the internet is like the .. well you know the saying ;-).

lot of people from michigan in this thread - can you tell me if there is a frys in this area? I really would like to get that 7900gs for 90 bucks.

I chose my words carefully. As such, when I stated they were a 'small chain' I meant just that - and further it was an opinion (as stated) not fact. Which means it was how I looked at the store. Also, I should note when I say small chain, I mean small in the sense that they only have 19 locations in the U.S.

And it's humorous to wonder why I'd make something like that up, but alas, arguing on the internet is like the .. well you know the saying ;-).

Sounds like you are grabbing for straws. You appear new here, 46 posts with more than 30 of them just "bumps" (33 to be correct). A couple of arguments here and you don't have much experience left (11 posts, half of them are noncontributing) on hardforums.

Now back to the issue, you said it was your opinion? Perhaps then you don't want to state things as facts. You seem to be lacking backup material and seriously, if your buddy got away with it, where is your drive? Heck, where is the Regional managers name and number? I'd like to know as they still show 500giggers in stock at the moment and hundreds have tried them... so I'd like to know how your slick friend managed to get one when hundreds of others are turned away and when the law is in favor of the store based on the circumstances... not to mention just the federal bait and switch law does not even apply to such situation.

So instead of arguing and boasting your opinion, it's about time you back it up with some facts and share the information with the rest of us so others can try. Try not to pick at my post nor my interpretation of the law and instead focus on backing things up and showing us the details.

Oh and BTW, your name is spelled wrong.

Note: I've made quite sure my posts have stayed very close to the issue. And I'm unsure as to how I'm 'picking' at your post. I'm clarifying something which was obviously misinterpreted by you.

Also, I've made it quite clear how he was able to get it.

I'll get you his card, I was hoping this thread would die now since the sale is over today, but I will certainly get you his information since you seem to be very worked up about it :).

And yes, I am new here :) And yet, I'm not the one attempting to insult another poster, interesting :). (And my name is spelled precisely how I intended for it to be spelled).

If you require any other clarifications do let me know :). (P.S. If I'm the one grasping for straws, why am I the one sticking to my original post? - Food for thought)

Well, with enough will power you can do anything. (So it seems) My best friend headed over to the Micro Center near his work in Michigan - walked in, asked them to honor the coupon price, they refused. He pulled out a sheet of paper stating that they were knowingly committing illegal business practices Which included : Bait and Switch - False advertisement. Asked the woman to sign it, and she refused, he then stated that if she was unwilling to sign it, he was going to record her stating her name, and that she is unwilling to honor the coupon's price. She then relented and said she'd contact the Store manager for Michigan, she did so, and they honored the price. He was only able to get one though :(. This was less than 10minutes ago as of this post :)

Normally I would pass by this thread with a chuckle, normally. In this case, no matter how carefully Mr. Static “Chose his words” they are in fact wrong.

This really bothers me because I really get tired of seeing the terms Bait and Switch and price gouging being used in many posts when in fact it is totally misleading if not an outright lie.

As for Bait and Switch The Federal Trade Commission has a very short succinct page on the subject:

http://www.ftc.gov/bcp/guides/baitads-gd.htm

No where in this thread did I see any attempt on the part of MicroCenter to try to step people up to another product, disparage the advertised product or do anything else wrong with the possible exception where the poster was supposedly told they simply hide the product until the smoke blows over. That last statement by itself holds no water because it is totally unsubstantiated.

Most posters did indeed state that there were signs in the stores stating that the price was a misprint. Having been in retail just shy of 40 years now I put coupons and sales flyers together 5 to 6 times a year, and trust me, it is very common for the printer to make mistakes. As long as the mistake is caught and acknowledged the retailer is in no way responsible to sell the item at the advertised price. You will also note that every sales flyer you read already has all these disclaimers published within the flyer just in case they too miss the pricing mistake and fail to put signs up in the stores.

Ockie got you fair and square, live with it.

I can't argue with that :). I'll assume you are correct and thank you for the clarification! Either way, they did honor the price, as many other stores did, and that's what I think this is all about to begin with :).

yah but this coupon was emailed to people, the nearest microcenter is 41min from me, so I take a ride all the way there to get on this nice deal and when I get there, they have signs posted it was a misprint but I can still get the hardrive on sale just for 130 instead of the 59.99 that I was originally shown. 130 is still a nice price on a 500GB hardrive and I decide that its still a good deal and I drove all this way, why not..

please.. tell me there is something not wrong with that.

That is precisely why it is Bait and Switch, they did not inform the customers of the error in the same medium in which they made the error. -- At least more than one person understands this :).

Edit: Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, please don't let this provoke more arguments :) I'd like to let this die now.

That is precisely why it is Bait and Switch, they did not inform the customers of the error in the same medium in which they made the error. -- At least more than one person understands this :).

Edit: Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, please don't let this provoke more arguments :) I'd like to let this die now.

Where is this emailed coupon? I live 20 minutes from a Microcenter and get all their emails. I got an email telling me about the 20% off BYOC sale with some links to their website. Those web pages have coupons on them but they have never sent a coupon directly to my email address. The link in the OP leads back to their site, or a mirror of that coupon.
Their website was updated when they noticed the error, along with visible signs in the stores. There was no bait and switch.

Pathetic. It is not a bait and switch.

Grow up. It is called a disclaimer, says they are not responsible for typo's.

All companies do it.

This is just my opinion, and not intended to start an argument:

Props to MicroCenter for even honoring the coupon at all, albeit sporadically - not everyone got the coupon honored, but some did (myself included), and they could have easily have not honored it under any circumstances.

Just to let everyone know that the coupon expried, so the deal is dead. :( So I think we should close this thread before it turns into a spam ground.

Back