Super CUBE computer Antec NSK1380 HELP!!

ALYNCH75

Limp Gawd
I like the look of this case. Here is what I want to do. I am buiding a PC to use as a digital audio workstation with lite gaming.

I have 2 500GB Seagate Baracuda 7200RPM 3.5 inch hard drives
AMD ATHLON X2 5600+ (ADA5600CZBOX) 2.8GHZ RETAIL BOXED W/1MB X 2 CACHE 90NM
ASUS M2A-VM motherboard
4GB RAM
XFX GeForce 8600 GT XXX Video Card - 256MB DDR3, PCI Express, SLI Ready, (Dual Link) Dual DVI, HDTV http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?Sku=P450-8650

will the antec nsk1380 case hold up to the job. Will I have heating concerns? How cool can I keep the case and components? or should I look for another case. Please advise. I have 2 weeks to get the system up and running. Any and all suggestions will be entertained and I really appreciate your help in advance. Thank yoo much.

Not going to overclock. I hoped to use the power supply that came with case. If its not strong enuff let me know what to buy. I thank you for the help.

I wouldn't worry too much about the PSU. Antec usually has quality units and your load doesn't look too extraordinary.

I have no idea about the other questions as I've never even seen one of those much less used one.

That setup should be fine, a little warm but not a problem.I have almost the same setup in an old aria with the smaller ps, cpu temps are solid but just a touch on the warm side.
good luck on the build.

I may need the system to be up and running for a few days at a time processing audio. i am afraid of heat build up that will decrease the longevity of the system components (i.e. hard drive and memory.) Do I need to be concerened or will this have minimum impact.

The 1380 has the top vent that the aria did not have, which should help a lot. my ps has been solid since i got it and the 1380 has more amps and watts. I took out the media reader and added a 80mm fan and it ran a little cooler, but it was louder than i like so i took it out.right now my up time is at almost 7 hours and the cpu is at 42, the gpu is at 62 and my primary drive, greenpower 500, is at 33. Keep your secondary drive on the cpu side,and it will not interfere with the airflow to the cpu or the video card. I have never had a drive fail in this case and would not hesitate to throw your set up in this case with only the 300 watt ps. Keep the case where it will get good airflow around it and you should not have a problem. If you cant get good airflow around the case go with a 45 watt cpu. Hope that helps.
That 5600 i think is an 89 watt model and should not get to hot.

Okay so if my AMD X2 is 89 watt are there any high peformance cpus that are the 40 of 45 watt you speak of or maybe i should try to purchase an Intel motherboard with a core 2 duo. Please advise.

There are fast 45W AMD CPUs but they won't be as fast as that X2 5600+ CPU you chose:
AMD Athlon X2 4850E CPU - $80

Since I'm pretty sure you won't be overclocking due to heat concerns, stick with AMD. Below $100 or so and if overclocking is not factored in, AMD has a better price to performance ratio.

Also, do note that you can get the 65W version of the X2 5600+:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819103234

However, will you actually be gaming on this rig? If not, drop the video card altogether. That should decrease temps some.

OH and I recommend going with this motherboard instead:
Gigabyte GA-MA74GM-S2 AMD 740G mATX AMD Motherboard - $60

I'll second the 4850, it is one i would consider for an upgrade. If the difference is noticeable it should not be by much.

If you have the 5600 already use it. We worry about heat in these little cases but we dont see heat like the P4s put out any more. most cpus out there right now would be right at home in the 1380.The 45w models out there just offer a little flexibility and piece of mind for people that want a cool running or silent solution.

I used to like Gigabyte motherboards until I had issues with the last one I got about a year or 2 ago. Had to get the thing RMA's 5 times and I will never ,,, no not ever go with Gigabyte. besides I have 4 1 GB DDR2 sicks that won't go in that board. The gigabyte only has 2 memory slots..

Woult it hurt my setup if I drilled a hole in each side of the case and put mesh on it for airflow. Will this make a difference in my temps.

Woult it hurt my setup if I drilled a hole in each side of the case and put mesh on it for airflow. Will this make a difference in my temps.

It might. It's certainly worth a try.

so you mean drililng a hole in the case will hurt the setup. ??? Please elaborate. ... I read somewhrer that drilling two holes 40mm or 50mm and mounting a fan would cool it down. Please advise.

OP I think Danny Bui meant that it will have a difference in your temperature and not in hurting the setup.

OP I think Danny Bui meant that it will have a difference in your temperature and not in hurting the setup.

Exactly.

The might part means that you may not see any temperature decreases at all. You certainly won't hurt the setup. Like I said, it's worth a try considering that replacement panels can be had for roughly $15 or so and that case is hurting for air anyway. A mesh panel should help.

i have the aria (clearance $50 from circuit city), and people told me it got hot and i didn't listen.
even with a celeron 3.2 cedar mill idling, the heat coming out of that power supply was enough to dry wet t-shirts. the sides and top were off as well. tried disconnecting everything except cpu, memory, onboard video and hard drive... maybe a laptop cpu could do better though. just got tired of trying different configs...
i did like that the optical drive bay doesn't have to be pushed closed, unlike the ones from idiot oem companies nowadays (hp, dell, gateway, emachines, etc.)

BTW, office depot has the topic case (nsk 1380) on sale for $64.95 at office depot. i forget the sku, but google "sku" and "nsk 1380" should come up with something. good luck, if anyone wants it.

i modded my nsk1380... i guess u can call it heavily modded.
the temperatures are pretty low...
temperature1.jpg

these temperatures are while playing a 400p h264 video

note: cpu fan is off. +2 to cpu temp, but -2 to mobo temp, i choose to turn it off since all my PCs dies with mobo dying, the cpu almost never die

only drawback is that u have to mod it.
for me, that's the fun part, rather than drawback, its up2u

and oh, the stock psu runs my xfx7900gs xt fine
OCed cpu & gpu then experienced some restarts lol
OCing gpu alone seems fine with no restarts also
i dare to say the stock psu will probably run a 8800gts (g80) if u only 1 hdd with e8400~

with standard psu
DSC00282.jpg

DSC00279.jpg

DSC00285.jpg

this is after i got rid of the stock psu
DSC00014.jpg

Back