Super Budget build

M4573R

Gawd
Friend of a friend needs a basic compy, but I'm not sure what to do on this budget.

1) What will you be doing with this PC? Gaming? Photoshop? Web browsing?
TF2, L4D2, and general use.

2) What's your budget? Are tax and shipping included?
650 max.
3) Where do you live?
Oregon.
4) What exact parts do you need for that budget? CPU, RAM, case, etc. Please be very specific.
Entire box. No mouse, keyboard, or monitor.
5) If reusing any parts, what parts will you be reusing? Please be especially specific about the power supply. List make and model.
None.
6) Will you be overclocking?
No.
7) What size monitor do you have and/or plan to have?
20"
8) When do you plan on building/buying the PC?
This month.
9) What features do you need in a motherboard? RAID? Firewire? Crossfire or SLI support?
None.
10) Do you already have a legit and reusable/transferable OS key/license?
Yes.

I figure ATI and AMD would be the way to go, ram can be slow, doesn't need a lot of storage. Cheap case is fine.

Thanks

id suggest looking through some of the build threads and take a look at some other budget builds using the phenom II 550BE processor.. they should give you an idea of what would be possible with that budget..

Here's what I'd go with:
$205 - AMD Phenom II X3 720 CPU + Gigabyte GA-MA785GMT-UD2H AMD 785G mATX motherboard combo
$65 - Crucial 2 x 2GB CT2KIT25664BA1339 DDR3 1333
$145 - XFX HD-487A-ZHFC Radeon HD 4870 1GB PCI-E Video Card
$75 - Western Digital WD6401AALS 640GB 7200RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive w/FS
$31 - Samsung SH-S223B SATA DVD Burner
$40 - Cooler Master Elite 335 RC-335-KKN1-GP ATX Case
$80 - Antec Earthwatts 650W PSU
------
Total: $641 plus shipping for the mobo and CD/DVD burner

Either of those builds above look good. If you're adventurous, you could probably unlock a core (or two) on either CPU. Case is personal preference, so go with what you like. Both of the PSUs listed are overkill, and both are good quality and provide the same amount of amperage on the +12V rails (where your system will draw most of its power from). The higher speed RAM won't make up for the extra core, and the extra core will help with multi-tasking.

Back