Super Bowl Drives HDTV Prices Lower

HardOCP News

[H] News
According to DigiTimes, the Super Bowl is driving HDTV prices lower, sometimes price cuts can be as much as 50%. So if you are waiting to take the leap on a new HDTV, now might be the time.

Today's football fans have a wide choice of sets and display technologies, including direct-view models like LCD and PDP (plasma display panel), and rear-projection varieties like DLP (digital light processing), LCOS (liquid crystal on silicon) and 3LCD.

It's funny how many people runs out to buy a large tv right before a superbowl.

It's funny how many people runs out to buy a large tv right before a superbowl.

What's more funny (to me, at least) is people building super computers just for WoW or CS:S.

I can see someone buying an HDTV just to watch the Superbowl because their favorite team is playing. Especially Bears fans ;)

What's more funny (to me, at least) is people building super computers just for WoW or CS:S.

I can see someone buying an HDTV just to watch the Superbowl because their favorite team is playing. Especially Bears fans ;)

What in the heck was that first comment about :p :rolleyes: ? They're completely different... one's a once-a-year event that would take place in their living room of their current set, which would then be dumped, the other is upgrading for a daily activity that they enjoy, and for everything else their computer does such as driving their TV feeds, music, games, movies, etc.

What in the heck was that first comment about :p :rolleyes: ? They're completely different... one's a once-a-year event that would take place in their living room of their current set, which would then be dumped, the other is upgrading for a daily activity that they enjoy, and for everything else their computer does such as driving their TV feeds, music, games, movies, etc.

I agree. You can't really compare the two.

I had thought about getting an HDTV just for the big game this Sunday but I am certain I will have many more chances to see Peyton win the Superbowl :cool: so I'm pouring the money into a pc instead.;)

What in the heck was that first comment about :p :rolleyes: ? They're completely different...

Completely different acts, yes, but they're fueled by the same impulses.

one's a once-a-year event that would take place in their living room of their current set, which would then be dumped, the other is upgrading for a daily activity that they enjoy, and for everything else their computer does such as driving their TV feeds, music, games, movies, etc.

You're contradicting yourself twice here. Buying a new TV is upgrading the old TV, as well as for something they enjoy, even if it's yearly and not daily. And, as you've indicated, buying a computer just for WoW is upgrading or replacing the old computer also for an event that they enjoy.

And the new TV isn't for anything else, but just the one Superbowl? Wouldn't they go on to watch other shows and every subsequent Superbowl, to enjoy "everything else their [TV] does?"

Hopefully you see some parallels now.

I agree. You can't really compare the two.

See above.

Completely different acts, yes, but they're fueled by the same impulses.

You're contradicting yourself twice here. Buying a new TV is upgrading the old TV, as well as for something they enjoy, even if it's yearly and not daily. And, as you've indicated, buying a computer just for WoW is upgrading or replacing the old computer also for an event that they enjoy.

And the new TV isn't for anything else, but just the one Superbowl? Wouldn't they go on to watch other shows and every subsequent Superbowl, to enjoy "everything else their [TV] does?"

Hopefully you see some parallels now.

See above.

Well to counter your argument, to buy a HDTV for the Superbowl indicates that the TV's main purpose would be to serve the viewers for the event of the superbowl which is a short term event with a long term investment... right?

Now a person playing wow didn't go and buy the computer before wow came out, they played wow, found that their computer is sluggish in some areas and upgraded their machines, they might actually end up replacing the entire machine... right?

So how are those two related? You are talking about buying something impulsivley for a short term goal vs buying something on the basis of need for a long term goal?

I wouldn't consider computer upgrades for wow impulsive as they are in the process of playing the game.

Well to counter your argument, to buy a HDTV for the Superbowl indicates that the TV's main purpose would be to serve the viewers for the event of the superbowl which is a short term event with a long term investment... right?

Now a person playing wow didn't go and buy the computer before wow came out, they played wow, found that their computer is sluggish in some areas and upgraded their machines, they might actually end up replacing the entire machine... right?

So how are those two related? You are talking about buying something impulsivley for a short term goal vs buying something on the basis of need for a long term goal?

I wouldn't consider computer upgrades for wow impulsive as they are in the process of playing the game.

You're making a lot of assumptions about intent. I bet a lot of people bought a WoW computer before the game came out in anticipation.

Buying a TV just for the Superbowl could be both a short-term and long-term goal. Maybe having a crappy TV only helped decide to buy the new one. Then it becomes long-term. And buying a TV then keeping it turns it into long-term anyway. Short-term would be to return the TV, or to rent it for the game and give it back.

I didn't ask anyone to compare the two acts in the first place. I said people buying super computers just to play WoW makes me laugh more, not that the latter act is dumber to do than the first.

Relax.

You're making a lot of assumptions about intent. I bet a lot of people bought a WoW computer before the game came out in anticipation.

Buying a TV just for the Superbowl could be both a short-term and long-term goal. Maybe having a crappy TV only helped decide to buy the new one. Then it becomes long-term. And buying a TV then keeping it turns it into long-term anyway. Short-term would be to return the TV, or to rent it for the game and give it back.

I didn't ask anyone to compare the two acts in the first place. I said people buying super computers just to play WoW makes me laugh more, not that the latter act is dumber to do than the first.

Relax.

A lot of assumptions? LOL, thats a laugh.

A lot of people bought a WOW computer before wow came out, doesn't that seem a little contradictory, especially due to the fact that before i was out no one knew what it was going to be like and what the requirements were?

If the TV was crappy it wouldn't have been bought for the superbowl, of course people could decide this is the time to show it off, perhaps, but the main push for the tv was the superbowl... so therefore it makes it more impulsive.

Your comparison analogy kinda sucked. Impulse can only be preemptive notion, not during a process.

im·pul·sive (ĭm-pŭl'sĭv) Pronunciation Key
adj.
Inclined to act on impulse rather than thought.
Motivated by or resulting from impulse: such impulsive acts as hugging strangers; impulsive generosity. See Synonyms at spontaneous.
Having force or power to impel or incite; forceful.
Physics Acting within brief time intervals. Used especially of a force.

Also, your term for supercomputer is also incorrect as they are not used for gaming nor are they ever bought impusivley. You also can't run CS:S or WOW on a "supercomputer".

And I still stick by the fact that wow players do not buy hardware impulsivley as much as sports fans buys televisions.

A lot of people bought a WOW computer before wow came out, doesn't that seem a little contradictory, especially due to the fact that before i was out no one knew what it was going to be like and what the requirements were?
Doesn't mean anything regarding anticipation. I can't prove people bought/build a computer before WoW, and you can't prove that they didn't. Moot point, agreed?

If the TV was crappy it wouldn't have been bought for the superbowl
Evidently you have a hard time reading correctly. Who said anything about the crappy TV being bought for the Superbowl? The HDTV would be replacing the crappy TV, as in the person's old TV is crappy and that would be another reason to buy a new one. I know you're convulsing with excitement to refute me, but at least take your time reading the post before you rip it apart.

but the main push for the tv was the superbowl... so therefore it makes it more impulsive.
More impulsive? So what? We aren't arguing degree of intensity. An impulse buy is an impulse buy.

Your comparison analogy kinda sucked. Impulse can only be preemptive notion, not during a process.
It wasn't even an analogy. You got the comparison part right though.

Also, your term for supercomputer is also incorrect as they are not used for gaming nor are they ever bought impusivley. You also can't run CS:S or WOW on a "supercomputer".
Have your eyes checked? No where did I combine the two words into a compound word. Each time, I put super computer, as in a computer that is super, as in slang for high-end [consumer] computer. Get it now? No? Oh well.

Now you're gonna accuse me of being nitpicky. "But it's just semantics." Well, semantics is everything since language governs us. Nice try. Or not.

And I still stick by the fact that wow players do not buy hardware impulsivley as much as sports fans buys televisions.
That's good for you. Has nothing to do with the thread, but you keep sticking by it.

You had to take something harmless and make it into this.

Doesn't mean anything regarding anticipation. I can't prove people bought/build a computer before WoW, and you can't prove that they didn't. Moot point, agreed?
I can get a great consensus that people don't buy computers before they have ever played a game without knowing if they liked it.

Also, I can prove that people buy HDTV's impulsivley... just read the articles.

Evidently you have a hard time reading correctly. Who said anything about the crappy TV being bought for the Superbowl? The HDTV would be replacing the crappy TV, as in the person's old TV is crappy and that would be another reason to buy a new one. I know you're convulsing with excitement to refute me, but at least take your time reading the post before you rip it apart.

I said "crappy TV being bought for the Superbowl", please show me where I said that. :rolleyes: Of course a HDTV would replace the crappy TV :rolleyes: If you didn't read my post, now is a good time to do so.

Reading the point? Wtf, talk about a hypocrite.

More impulsive? So what? We aren't arguing degree of intensity. An impulse buy is an impulse buy.

Like I said, impulse is a thing you do prior, you do not' do impulsive things during... you could, but it wouldn't' be really as impulsive without a knowledge of operations.

Lets show you a little example: Bob watches superbowl on his 32" CRT TV... he's happy and enjoys the game... half time comes... bang the tv goes up in smoke... bob freaks out and runs to the store and quickly buys a HDTV.

Now that would be more in lines of wow players. Wow players do not go and buy hardware before an event, perhaps of a upgrade of the game that they are playing, but they dont' do it before they've ever played the game.... thats counting chickens before they've hatched.

Now if you said Vista users, then I'd agree, but you picked the wrong subject and you are trying to argue an uphill battle.

Have your eyes checked? No where did I combine the two words into a compound word. Each time, I put super computer, as in a computer that is super, as in slang for high-end [consumer] computer. Get it now? No? Oh well.

Actually I have perfect vision, unlike you I don't confuse computer things... but hey, I forgive you, after all you only have a degree in arts and a mediocre computer... so ill cut you some slack.

That's good for you. Has nothing to do with the thread, but you keep sticking by it.

Ironically you were the one who started the weak comparison? Whats the problem, fighting a losing battle?

You two need to go wash the sand out your respective vag's and stop cluttering this section of the forum with your pointless bickering. GJSNeptune's posts don't tend to be particularly substantive but, Ockie, yours tend to be equally as inane (as well as displaying a mediocre grasp of the nuances of the english language).

On Topic:
People don't rush out to buy a big screen TV just because it's the Super Bowl, but because it tends to be the time of year that prices are the lowest. People that buy a big screen TV are going to enjoy it for the rest of the year as well and have wanted one previously, it's just that the sale prices that precede the Super Bowl provide that extra bit of incentive to spend the money finally. If there were no Super Bowl sales promotions, the number of big screen TVs sold would quite likely remain slightly higher than the rest of the year, but nearly as high as it is now.

GJSNeptune said:
Who said anything about the crappy TV being bought for the Superbowl?
I said "crappy TV being bought for the Superbowl", please show me where I said that. :rolleyes:
Ockie said:
Who said anything about the crappy TV being bought for the Superbowl?

Yeah?

If you didn't read my post, now is a good time to do so.
Way to recycle arguments. Classy.

Reading the point? Wtf, talk about a hypocrite.
Yeah...

Lets show you a little example: Bob watches superbowl on his 32" CRT TV... he's happy and enjoys the game... half time comes... bang the tv goes up in smoke... bob freaks out and runs to the store and quickly buys a HDTV.
A good analogy if TVs were known to spontaneously explode. Pretty sure Bob would tend to the flames and then call his insurance company first.

Wow players do not go and buy hardware before an event, perhaps of a upgrade of the game that they are playing, but they dont' do it before they've ever played the game.... thats counting chickens before they've hatched.
Do you read a chapter of a book of clichés every night before bed? Couldn't wait to use that one today?

Prove to me that not one WoW player bought any hardware before they played the game. I don't want a consensus. If you can't speak for everyone, don't make absolute, universal claims.

Now if you said Vista users, then I'd agree, but you picked the wrong subject and you are trying to argue an uphill battle.
You're uphill to me? How is it even a different subject? Were there not WoW beta testers as there were for Vista? Plenty of people would've known what WoW was like before it was released, told others, and likely have caused some people with probably lots of money to anticipate the game and build a new, better computer. You know how large and obsessed the fan base for Warcraft was and still is. I don't buy it that no one purchased hardware (out of impulse) in anticipation for WoW.

Actually I have perfect vision, unlike you I don't confuse computer things...

As do I, and yet you're still convinced we're talking about computers. Please indicate what I've been confused on regarding computers.

but hey, I forgive you, after all you only have a degree in arts and a mediocre computer... so ill cut you some slack.

I don't care about your lack of appreciation for the arts, nor do I care that you're judging me by what computer I'm using. It only shows your immaturity and scraping the floor for something more meaningful to use in your arguments.

I bow to your superior knowledge and craft. You, sir, and your elevated socioeconomic status.

Next time you go to the movies, read a newspaper, a book, etc., remember how you laugh at the people who made them.

Ironically you were the one who started the weak comparison? Whats the problem, fighting a losing battle?
Weak to you, and completely jovial. But I like arguing with you. I like how you make irrational jumps, stretch things out, and believe you're making valid points, especially when riddled with clichés.

Let's just be happy that HDTV prices are going down. LCD prices have gone down as well.

Back