Sunday sucked

Status
Not open for further replies.

Banenwn

Limp Gawd
I live in wisconsin and for weeks have tried to make up my mind on what gpu to get and the more and more i read the forums i decided on an xfx black edition the single fan one.However before that i was looking into the gigabyte one with the awesome cooling fans.Sunday i droe an hour south to chicago to microcenter.I went there with the intentions of getting a 7950 because they had no 7970's in there invetory or so it said on there website,anywys i walk up to the sales guy ask him if they had 7950's in stock he said yes and 7970's to i said heck ya ill take that.I waited for about 5 minutes he brings me the gigabyte 7970 i was so happy i started taking pictures of the box ready to send to my facebook nerd friends lol.well anyways i get up to the counter write a check the guy breaks the security strap on the box puts it in the bag,so i start writing a check as i do not own a credit card had exes ruin my credit from getting one:(.the cashier tells me he has to make a call im watching him the whole time when he gets off the phone i can tell by the way he hesitates i was going to be rejected.Thats exactley what happened i have over 5 grand in the bank i told him but there was nothing he could do:(

I have always owned upper end cards but never top of the line for there time i guess.I am a 40 year old man and i about cried on my way out the door.when i seen the box i felt like a kid at christmas and when i got told i cant have it i was about in tears lol.I bust my butt for a living and worked to save for stuff like this and to get told you cant have it sucks lol.Anyways i found a place in town that sells low level cards but they also have an online store and i can order right at the store with cash.I am ordering an xfx 7970 black and should have it by thursday or friday.One way or another i was getting me one lol.Just thought id share this with everyone and there really is no moral to the story other then im getting a credit card and doing away with checks lol

Does the bank you use have a debit card? I barely right checks anymore and if I do they are usually for a bill or 2, and I use my debit card for like 98% of my purchases.

I'm sorry you had to go through that though, I probably would have been upset too, being that close to greatness and getting shot down.

I second the debit card since you like using your checking account so much. It can be swiped as credit you know.

if i ran an shop i most likely not accept checks for high priced items or any nowadays, to easy to cancel the check

even to the point not accepting swipe debit card, chip and pin only as its 100% customer was present if used (in the UK and EU chip and pin debit/credit cards all have it now unless its Amex most stores charge £2-5 extra if you really want to use it as it costs the store owner £2 to do end of day on amex)

Why don't you have a debit card? Who the hell writes checks anymore? That's what you get though for taking pictures of it before you even got it out the door!

So.............you don't have an ATM card?

You knew you were travelling to Chicago to buy a GPU costing over $400.
You have no credit or debit cards.

You are travelling out of state to try and use a personal check.
(sorry, used to be common, now it's rare)

use cash money, everybody takes it.:eek:

BTW.....I pay nearly all my bills by mail with personal checks.........but all purchases are with some sort of credit card. The rewards plans and protection plans are too good to pass up.:D

Luxury problems. Look on the bright side. At least you have some money in the bank, can afford a $600 gpu and don't have to worry about wife/girfriend reaction when it eventually arrives.

As the others have said, just get a debit card and buy online. Microcenter sometimes has great prices on CPU's and motherboards, but they usually are overpriced on their GPU's when compared to online retailers. Save yourself the time and gas and buy online this time around once you get a debit card.

I can sort of understand not having a credit card, but why the hell wouldn't you at least have a basic ATM card?

Wow, no store in there accept Check, they are so easy to steel and counterfiet. I mean i've done check to my appartement manager, 2 years , spelling he's name the wrong way and it's just recently that he saw the error, it never got rejected.

Some years ago they did a article on the news. They don't check the names and dates most of the time on Checks and they process them anyway..(banks) so the only check i wrote is my App Manager..

Wow, no store in there accept Check, they are so easy to steel and counterfiet. I mean i've done check to my appartement manager, 2 years , spelling he's name the wrong way and it's just recently that he saw the error, it never got rejected.

Some years ago they did a article on the news. They don't check the names and dates most of the time on Checks and they process them anyway..(banks) so the only check i wrote is my App Manager..

^ Exactly. No store anywhere near where I live accepts checks anymore, and I cannot honestly say I blame them. The ONLY time I use a check is when paying for a local utility bill, and the reason I use it then, is because it actually specifies on the bill to send or pay with a check or money order!

The debit card is so much easier, and like the previous posters have mentioned, if you cannot for some reason (which would be way beyond me) acquire a debit card, by all means, get a prepaid. Just know there is an initial fee on prepaid.

Ian

whats a cheque/check :) can't the remember the last time i saw one - your banking system belongs on the history channel.

Luxury problems. Look on the bright side. At least you have some money in the bank, can afford a $600 gpu and don't have to worry about wife/girfriend reaction when it eventually arrives.

^ This.

I don't mean to be the grammar police but I just wanted to make sure you know there is supposed to a space after a period that ends a sentence. I found your post to be more difficult to read than it should have been.

I don't mean to be the grammar police but I just wanted to make sure you know there is supposed to a space after a period that ends a sentence. I found your post to be more difficult to read than it should have been.
Ya you do or you wouldnt have posted this.Thanks for noticing though :rolleyes: .Try getting 15 hours of sleep in the last week and lets see how your grammar is :)

Why don't you have a debit card? Who the hell writes checks anymore? That's what you get though for taking pictures of it before you even got it out the door!

Bottom line many people still use checks.If knowone used them then why would it still even be a form of payment?There really was no reason for them to not accept it especially since microcenter themselves say they accept checks.I will be getting a debit card soon though

So.............you don't have an ATM card?

You knew you were travelling to Chicago to buy a GPU costing over $400.
You have no credit or debit cards.

You are travelling out of state to try and use a personal check.
(sorry, used to be common, now it's rare)

use cash money, everybody takes it.:eek:

BTW.....I pay nearly all my bills by mail with personal checks.........but all purchases are with some sort of credit card. The rewards plans and protection plans are too good to pass up.:D

Ya wou would think eeryone uses cash but thats not even true.Try going to bestbuy and ordering a high end graphics card.They turned me away just this afternoon.I even showed them the 600$ cash on me,and there vendor doesnt accept cash.I ended up running into my brother i just gave him the 568$ for the 7970 and he ordered it on his card.I will be getting a credit card and debt card now though.There are even restaurants here that do not accept cash only credit cards.Its getting ridiculous

You can steal someones credit card and run that up to whats the difference?All the places i use checks they check my ID to make sure i am who i say i am.Its even easier to scam a credit card then a check

I got a $1,000 American Express gift card for Xmas. They exist.
I looked for those to all ive ever found were 200$ ones.Trust me where i live we dont have things like that.I mean the best gpu at any store within 60 miles of my house is a gtx 560 ti lol.Ive looked all over for alternate ways to do this.

It's a bit unfathomable to me how anybody could not have a bank/debit/ATM card? I've had one for the past 20 years.

It's been a really long time since I've ever seen anyone write a cheque. I honestly haven't written one myself for years either. I know a few places that do not accept cheques as they can bounce and they have no way of getting the money.

Then again, in my country, practically everywhere has debit card readers at the till and I'm not sure if that's not the same elsewhere.

Ive just never had a problem till now so never felt the need to use a card.I know plenty of people that use checks only.Its not as unheard of as everyone makes it seem.Ive had credit cards in the past and it makes it to easy to spend money probably the reason i wasnt using them.Ill be getting one soon and will only use it to order from the internet at reputable places like newegg and tiger direct

PPP on your part my friend. (piss poor planning)

This is 2012 - and even if you are the most antiquated hermit in the world -- its unreasonable to assume anyone would take an out of state check.

Fake checks and fake IDs are pretty easy to come by these days. If I ran a business -- I sure would not accept them. THere is a bit of irony in trying to buy THE most advanced graphics card in existence right now with one of the most out of date methods of purchasing.

You could have found a local branch in the city you were in and made a cash withdrawl against yourself. Assuming you had a big chain bank.

Either way -- lesson learned. I really don't know why people refuse to have a credit card these days. With identity theft rampant why would you want to have YOUR cash on the line when you could have someone else's (credit line)

The secret to make it all work for you is PAY you god damn bill every month in full, no exceptions. I do this religiously, and not only am I credit card debt free, I've gotten several hundred dollars in cash rewards over the years for doing nothing extra.

Fake checks and fake IDs are pretty easy to come by these days. If I ran a business -- I sure would not accept them.

I do, but if it's a high value item I make sure the customer knows that I will have to wait for the check to clear before shipping out the goods.

C

I have a feeling this should really be in GenMay...

Yay for your selective reading. Nowhere did anyone say that no one accepts checks anymore. They just said it's rarely accepted and used.

The not accepting cash is stupid. There is something seriously wrong there if they didn't accept it. You should have called up a supervisor or manager.

Credit cards have more protection than checks. If someone tries to do a large purchase, or several large purchases outside of the normal spending pattern, usually the credit card company will automatically flag it as suspicious, block the transaction(s), and immediately call the owner of the credit card. Checks, on the other hand, do not have that kind of protection (they have none), and will take weeks to find out something went wrong.

Jesus, if you're getting 15 hours of sleep a week, shouldn't you be sleeping instead of forming terribly written sentences on a forum? I mean, I have a pretty high tolerance for grammar errors, but "knowone" really takes it.

There is an easy solution to your problem, and I'm sure many have echoed this sentiment: stop using checks. You're buying 21st century goods with 18th century payment.

Jesus, if you're getting 15 hours of sleep a week, shouldn't you be sleeping instead of forming terribly written sentences on a forum? I mean, I have a pretty high tolerance for grammar errors, but "knowone" really takes it.

There is an easy solution to your problem, and I'm sure many have echoed this sentiment: stop using checks. You're buying 21st century goods with 18th century payment.

seriously how many jerks are on here?Maybe you should get some sleep yourself instead of coming to a forum and inspecting ones grammar:)..On a side note i wasnt aware i would be bashed over using a check.Some of you need a life.

seriously how many jerks are on here?Maybe you should get some sleep yourself instead of coming to a forum and inspecting ones grammar:)..On a side note i wasnt aware i would be bashed over using a check.Some of you need a life.

Well, if you were expecting sympathy, you came to the wrong place.

If you came to rant and want attention... I would throw that no life statement right back at you.

Well, if you were expecting sympathy, you came to the wrong place.

If you came to rant and want attention... I would throw that no life statement right back at you.
I told this to get chuckles instead im getting bashed.I didnt ask anyone for sympathy.Please show me where i said anything about feeling sorry for me?None of you get it or have a sense of humor.I thought it was funny to be honest and if you could not understand this then i do not know what to tell you.I wasnt even expecting this to be a debate about checks and credit cards.I just thought it was a funny story and wanted people to get a chuckle.I have my way of paying for things as does everyone,doesnt make me and different then anyone else.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back