• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Suggestions Please for New PSU

Cataulin

[H]ard|Gawd
2FA
Joined
Nov 22, 2010
Messages
1,132
Next paycheck Im getting a new PSU as Ive picked up a 8800gt for cheap. Ive been living in the age of passive video cards it Im tired of them. Id like some suggestions for a PSU that I can keep down the road for further upgrades as well. Also if possible to keep it under 80 USD. I do not plan on overclocking anything for now but in the future more than likely.
What Im running so far:

Intel DG31PR mATX
1.5gb DDR of ram which will be up graded to the 4 gig max in the near future.
Intel Pentium D800 MHz which will also be upgrade later down the road for a core 2 quad or duo
X-Fi Platinum Fatal1ty Champion Series
Keyboard and mouse.
 
OH OH OH. I was looking at your suggestion Computer geek. I would like to add one more thing. I like that the Antec EarthWatts EA750 has the removable cables. Im leaning toward this more than anything but is there a cheaper alternative or are all removable cable PSU's higher in cost?
 
OH OH OH. I was looking at your suggestion Computer geek. I would like to add one more thing. I like that the Antec EarthWatts EA750 has the removable cables. Im leaning toward this more than anything but is there a cheaper alternative or are all removable cable PSU's higher in cost?

The Power supplies that have removable cables, are called Modular Power Supplies, there are Partially Modular (The cables that are only sometimes needed come off), and Fully Modular (All the cables come off).

So are you looking for a power supply that is Fully Modular?
 
Yes I guess Modular would be what I want. I dont like having a ball of cables hanging in the middle of my Case. Its quite ugly and distracting to me. It also seems that the Newegg search engine is kinda messed up. It says I have 68 hits but it only shows 6 products. Maybe Im doing something wrong.
 
The only one I would suggest from ComputerGeeks's list is the SeaSonic S12II. Better quality and performance than the rest.

If you want modular, look at the Seasonic M12II 520, XFX 650w, or Antec TruePower New 650.

All of the above are overkill for the type of system you will be using but offer probably the best price/performance ratio for modular PSUs.
 
Well I do plan on changing my system later on in the year. So if I go with a higher power system Id like that extra wattage on my PSU. I plan on recreating the current system into a permanent mini atx system for the wife.
 
Unless you're going sli, any psu 500w or more will be plenty for any upgrade you want.
 
At $90 shipped, it's a poor buy for a modular PSU considering that the higher quality XFX 650W Modular that SolidBladez recommended is $10 more.

Yes, but he wanted a Fully Modular Power Supply, none of the ones above are.
 
Yes, but he wanted a Fully Modular Power Supply, none of the ones above are.

The OP said he wanted modular. Nowhere did he say that he wanted it to be fully modular. In addition, having the 24Pin and P4/EPS12 connectors removable isn't very practical at all considering that you'll need those cables connected at all times to power the PC. So it does not matter at all if the PSU is fully modular as the 24Pin and CPU power connectors will still need to be connected.

As such the XFX 650W PSU as you can remove every cable but the required 24Pin and CPU power connectors.
 
The OP said he wanted modular. Nowhere did he say that he wanted it to be fully modular. In addition, having the 24Pin and P4/EPS12 connectors removable isn't very practical at all considering that you'll need those cables connected at all times to power the PC. So it does not matter at all if the PSU is fully modular as the 24Pin and CPU power connectors will still need to be connected.

As such the XFX 650W PSU as you can remove every cable but the required 24Pin and CPU power connectors.

Maybe I misunderstood him, but it seemed like thats what he was looking for. :(
 
Id love to have a fully modular PSU, but Danny is right. Its kinda pointless to have the main power cables be modular. They have to be fully connected at all times anyways. Honestly I didnt know that this was an option. But alas the XFX is a bit high in the price range. I may have to wait a few mon..................oh wait this will be moved to a mATX case for the wife in a few months. I'll just get the
S12II or the Corsiar CMPSU-600CX for now.
 
Id love to have a fully modular PSU, but Danny is right. Its kinda pointless to have the main power cables be modular. They have to be fully connected at all times anyways. Honestly I didnt know that this was an option. But alas the XFX is a bit high in the price range. I may have to wait a few mon..................oh wait this will be moved to a mATX case for the wife in a few months. I'll just get the
S12II or the Corsiar CMPSU-600CX for now.

I would avoid the Corsair 600CX since it costs just as much as the higher quality and equal amperage (both PSUs have 40A on the +12V rail) Antec Neo Eco 520C:
$64 - Antec NEO ECO 520C 520W PSU

Note that the Antec Neo Eco 520C is based on the same PSU platform as the Seasonic S12II PSUs.
 
just my $0.02

Danny Bui has helped me build 3 PCs over the last 2 years.

My home PC in my sig
A similar one for my new job (okay this is big it was a new rig new job to run 3D modeling and rendering software. It cost over $3,000.00. I had a lot riding on it)
and most recently a nice little home server.

His advice has been invaluable to me and solid as a rock.

I'm just sayin'...

Whats up Danny Bui? and thanks again for all your help here on the forum! happy New Year!
 
Whats up Danny Bui? and thanks again for all your help here on the forum! happy New Year!

Happy New Year man!

And to make sure this gets back on topic/track: While yes the Antec Neo Eco 520C is probably of slightly lower quality than the Seasonic S12II, it won't be that huge of a difference.
 
Danny got the right idea. The antec is a solid piece of epic! They stand behind all of there work too and will take care of the cust above all else ... i still have some 430 watts WAY back in the day still running ... we are talking 7 years old man! I would go with the True 750 thats just me though ... I like going big or not at all!
 
So Danny, do you still recommend the Antec Neo Eco 520C over the SeaSonic S12II 520? Also is there a modular power supply that you would recommend in that price range if there is one? I like the fact that I can choose what to connect instead of the tangle of wires that non modulars have.
 
Last edited:
So Danny, do you still recommend the Antec Neo Eco 520C over the SeaSonic S12II 520? Also is there a modular power supply that you would recommend in that price range if there is one? I like the fact that I can choose what to connect instead of the tangle of wires that non modulars have.
The S12II 520W is better than the NEO ECO. They share the same design, but the Seasonic uses better components and is more efficient.

As for a modular PSU in that price range, this is a good option: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817151093
 
Back
Top