Suggestions needed on replacement board or new build.

Jaz709

n00b
Components list:

Asus M2N
AMD X2 (can't remember the exact model)
Asus 6200 vid
SB Audigy 4
Didn't scope out the ram. :(

A friend brought his system to me a few days ago to have the system reformatted. He didn't mention anyting about a HW issue at the time. However when I went to flash it up there was no video. I swaped the card out for a similar card that I had kicking aorund and it worked fine.

He did mention that it didn't work after rearranging his caples etc. Figured something may have gotten messed up so I reseated his card and all was well.

He left the thing with me. I reformatted the and installed the OS along with updates. At one point during a reboot I lost video once again. I put the system to one side to take a break from it and went back to it later. Finished the updates, intalled java, Fox-it Reader and a couple more pieces of SW.

He picked it up this morning and when I got home this afternoon there was a message on my phone from him. He wanted to confirm that it was working while I had it. I also found out that this was an issue he had before bringing it to me. I was under the asumption that he just wanted it wiped out and the OS put back on. :(

At this point I do know it'll work at times being I did have it running. My known "good" vieo card did work in it. I had audio form his Audigy 4...though there was a point that the system "didn't" recognize it.

I'm thinking the motherboard is on it's way out. It'll power on each and every time but no video. Bad slot maybe?

Anyway, I did find a new M2N online. He's hesitant about putting money into an older system. He uses it mainly for multimedia...not much of any gaming if at all.

I'm thinking if he did invest into a replacement board that it'll be less hastle to him than getting an OEM and should get another couple years or so out of it. I'd hate to see him purchase an oem and have problems down the road. Sigh!

Anyway, he figures by the time he purchases the board and pays me to swap the parts the he may as well wait and get something for <$500 CDN already assembled.

Any thoughts or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

IMO, new build.

However, does that system exhibit the same issues when your known good card is in it? It could very well be just a defective card.

Hi Danny, thank you for the reply.

When I first received the system I thought the card may have been bad. I switched cards and it booted. Ilater reinstalled the original that had crashed during the Windows updates. As noted, the system had trouble recognizing his sound card as well.

Unfortunately I no longer have the system but I can have him drop the thing off again for further testing.

Back