Suggestions for Xmas Gaming build

brennok

[H]ard|Gawd
1) What will you be doing with this PC? Gaming? Photoshop? Web browsing? etc

Primarily this will be gaming, and web browsing. I already have a decent PC, i7-860 build, in my bedroom and I am looking to build something for my living room to replace the current PC which will be going to my brother. It is an i5-661, but was built to be more of a HTPC. I may also use it somewhat as a video server to store TiVo recordings once drive prices come down.

2) What's your budget? Are tax and shipping included?

$1000 would be right around the top not including tax and shipping but still a little wiggle room

3) Which country do you live in? If the U.S, please tell us the state and city if possible.

US - Florida - so no Microcenter

4) What exact parts do you need for that budget? CPU, RAM, case, etc. The word "Everything" is not a valid answer. Please list out all the parts you'll need.

CPU - i5 2500K
Ram - at least 2x4gb but with the prices probably grab 4x4gb.
Case - something relatively quiet and good cooling while easy to work in, maybe Haf 932, and would be nice if no additional fans needed. Also may add 4 or more hard drives down the road.
Motherboard - leaning towards trying Asus this time maybe ASUS P8Z68-V/GEN3
PSU - might end up with SLI so need room.
HDD - OS Drive thinking like F3 or Hitachi 7K no SSD.

5) If reusing any parts, what parts will you be reusing? Please be especially specific about the power supply. List make and model.

EVGA GeForce GTX 460 1024MB EE
internal Sata DVD burner

6) Will you be overclocking?

I always plan on it, but I end up never doing it. Since this won't be my primary machine, I intend to give it a shot this time around.

7) 7) What is the max resolution of your monitor? What size is it?

Dell S2209W - 1920 x 1080...got it for free

8) When do you plan on building/buying the PC?

Xmas present so plan on ordering soon.

9) What features do you need in a motherboard? RAID? Firewire? Crossfire or SLI support? USB 3.0? SATA 6Gb/s? eSATA? Onboard video? etc.

May need SLI support, since I am thinking of also upgrading the video card on my bedroom PC which has the same 460. If I do, I will have two available to use, and I have a bad habit of never selling used hardware. At least 6 Sata, the more the merrier since I may end up storing videos. Onboard HDMI would be nice since I may run a line to my plasma. Always hear good things about the Intel NICs but all my current PCs are Gigabyte so using Realtek.

10) Do you already have a legit and reusable/transferable OS key/license? If so, what OS? Is it 32bit or 64bit?

Win 7 Ultimate x64.

I think that just about covers it. I appreciate the help. I wasn't planning initially on a build, but decided I would pick up Skyrim and then my brother needed a desktop PC. As a result, I haven't been able to do much research on boards.

$378 - Intel Core i5 2500K + Asus P8Z68-V Intel Z68 ATX Motherboard
$60 - 2 x G.Skill Ripjaws Series F3-12800CL9D-8GBRL 2 x 4GB DDR3 1600 RAM
$156 - Hitachi Desktar 7K1000.D HDS721010DLE630 1TB SATA 6.0Gb/s Hard Drive
$105 - Corsair 750TX V2 750W PSU
----
Total: $699 plus tax and shipping.

I do not recommend getting the HAF 932 from Newegg as it is overpriced. I recommend any of these other cases instead:
$100 - Corsair Carbide Series 400R ATX Case
$100 - Lian Li PC-7B Plus II ATX Case
$120 - Lian Li PC-9F ATX Case
$133 - NZXT Phantom PHAN-001WT White Full Tower ATX Case
$140 - NZXT Phantom PHAN-001BK Black Full Tower ATX Case
$137 - Antec P280 ATX Case
$140 - Antec Performance One Series P183 V3 ATX Case
$144 - Silverstone RV03B-W ATX case
$150 - Corsair Graphite Series 600TM ATX Case
$160 - Silverstone RV02B-W ATX case
$164 - Corsair Special Edition White Graphite Series 600T ATX Case
$178 - Silverstone RV02B-EW ATX case
$190 - Corsair Obsidian Series 650D ATX Case
$230 - Silverstone FT02B ATX Case
$270 - Corsair Obsidian Series 800D CC800DW Full Tower ATX Case

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Thanks, definitely gives me some cases to look at also.

Looking around and at past deals, I didn't realize the HAF had dropped below $100 a couple of times. Wish I had seen that before now.

Personally I'm using an Antec P183 V3, and it's pretty amazing. Solid construction, easy mounting solutions for HDDs/SSDs, fits SLI just fine, comes with 2 stock 120mm fans with expansion options for 2 more, and it is pretty quiet unless you ramp up the fans. If you want even more quiet computing, get a set of GELID NFB 120mm fans. I have two of those in my case, and even at max rpm all I hear is the wind from the air being moved, not the fans themselves. Zero vibration, zero rattle, zero whine.

I used to be a big fan of Antec. One of the big reasons I switched to CM was the ease of access to the hard drives. I always hated when I wanted to add a drive due to way the hard drives were positioned.

the 183 has two HDD bays, both easily removable by removing one thumbscrew. The upper one supports tooless drive trays, while the bottom one is the traditional screw mount system. Would probably take all of 2 minutes to slap in a new drive.

Back