Suggestions for upgrades?

echn111

[H]ard|Gawd
My PC has been fundamentally unchanged for over a year now (see signature), and I'm starting to wonder what can be done to upgrade it.

I've only made minor tweaks to my system such as purchasing a new hard drive. Those new Samsung 750Gig spinpoint drives give raptors a run for the money. Also built a media PC out of low end components to alleviate my upgrade bug. Looked into SSD's but they were not worth it and really couldn't justify them (especially compared to these large, fast hard drives).

I'm rather keen on upgrading, even for the sake of upgrading to keep myself busy, but there comes a point where it's just silly if you have no reasons (or excuses?) to upgrade.

Right now, I'm wonder what high end upgrades make sense and can be 'somewhat' justified? Open to suggestions.

9800GX2, for better gaming on that 24".

P35 wasn't out a year ago, so I'm guessing you upgraded the board, too.

Yes got tired of my 680i, and got rid of my 2nd 8800GTX and overclocked the first one. I much prefer my P35 for a very stable, overclocked but quiet system. Although I suppose you might look at this as a bit of a downgrade in terms of pure power, it resulted in a very quiet, but powerful system which still handled my 24" well.

I'm a bit disapointed in the GX2 so far, as it isn't that much different to my old setup (i.e. 8800GTX in SLI). But good suggestion - if they've got watercooling blocks for it, so I can retain an almost silent system, I might go for it. (hmm...maybe upgrade the monitor to 30" while I'm at it?)

There's /one/ 9800GX2 waterblock I've seen, and only a picture, not to retailers yet. Seems most don't have any desire to play that game. Personally, I thought of what I think would be a really cool looking waterblock/res integrated design that used the big fan cutouts in the PCBs.... but I have neither a 9800GX2 or access to a CNC machine, so my dream shall remain just that for the time being.

Back