• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Suggestions for a new build

EricK

n00b
Joined
Mar 11, 2011
Messages
2
1) What will you be doing with this PC? Gaming? Photoshop? Web browsing? etc
Gaming, Web browsing, home file server. I do some FPS, but I'm not hardcore.
2) What's your budget? Are tax and shipping included?
I can go to around $1100 not including tax and shipping, though of course I'd love to spend less....
3) Where do you live?
Pennsylvania, USA
4) What exact parts do you need for that budget? CPU, RAM, case, etc. The word "Everything" is not a valid answer. Please list out all the parts you'll need.
Case, Mobo, CPU, RAM, PSU, GPU, DVD burner, SSD
5) If reusing any parts, what parts will you be reusing? Please be especially specific about the power supply. List make and model.
HD -- 500 GB Western Digital 7200 SATA
6) Will you be overclocking?
No
7) What size monitor do you have and/or plan to have?
24 Inch 1920x1200 Acer x243w
8) When do you plan on building/buying the PC?
Within 2 weeks, preferably now
9) What features do you need in a motherboard? RAID? Firewire? Crossfire or SLI support? USB 3.0? SATA 6Gb/s? etc.
Don't need any, but USB 3.0 and SATA 6GB/s would be nice for the future.
10) Do you already have a legit and reusable/transferable OS key/license? If so, what OS? Is it 32bit or 64bit?
Yes, Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit.


This will be the first system I've built in over 10 years, so I'm more than a little rusty. I want to go with Intel, and am kind of leaning toward the new Sandy Bridge chipset just hoping to extend the expected lifetime of the system, though I can be convinced otherwise. I also would like to go with a NVidia GPU, and I'm pretty sure I want the GTX 560. Here's my tentative first stab at the system for people to shoot holes in:

Case: Azza Solano 1000 $122 at NewEgg (not including a $20 MIR)
Mobo: Biostar TP67B+ $129 at Microcenter
CPU: Intel Core i7 2600 $249 at Microcenter
PSU: Antec Truepower Tp650 $80 at NewEgg
GPU: MSI N560GTX-TI $250 at NewEgg
Memory: 6-8 GB ??
DVD: Light-On DVD burner $24 at Amazon
SSD: OCZ Technology Vertex 2 OCZSSD2-2VTXE60 60GB $125 at Microcenter

My local Microcenter currently has only the Biostar Mobo and the ASUS Sabertooth P67 (for $220) available -- I thought the cheaper Biostar would meet my needs. I kind of chose the case at random -- I want a full tower case to support more drives in the future, and this looked OK, but I'd certainly welcome suggestions here. Is my PSU going to be beefy enough, and is the one I found a reasonable choice? What's my best bet for memory?
 
1) Avoid any current gen OCZ SSD as their performance is significantly lower than stated and than other SSDs. Go for the Crucial C300 64GB SSD instead.

2) That PSU will be enough

3) At $133 shipped, that case is not worth it. Hell even if you factor in the rebate, it still would not be worth it. I recommend these cases instead:
$80 - Lian Li Lancool PC-K58 ATX Case
$90 - NZXT Tempest Evo TEVO-001BK ATX Case
$90 - Lian Li Lancool PC-K56 ATX Case
$90 - Cooler Master CM690 II Advance ATX Case
$90 - Cooler Master HAF 922 RC-922M-KKN1-GP ATX Case
$90 - Lian Li Lancool PC-K7B ATX Case
$106 - Lian Li PC-7B Plus II ATX Case
$110 - NZXT Whisper WHI - 001BK ATX Full Tower Case
$120 - Velocity Micro GX2-W Silver Classic Aluminum Case with Side Window
$140 - NZXT Phantom PHAN-001WT White Full Tower ATX Case
$140 - NZXT Phantom PHAN-001BK Black Full Tower ATX Case
$140 - Cooler Master HAF 932 RC-932-KKN1-GP ATX Case

4) I'd wait another two weeks before buying that motherboard. IIRC, Asus had some motherboards around that price range. Dunno about you but I'm more comfortable with an similarily specced Asus than a Biostar.

5) For your usage scenario, you don't need the Core i7 2600. However if there is no discount for the Core i5 2500, then stick with the Core i7 2600. Otherwise, go for the Core i5 2500.

6) RAM wise, I recommend this:
$80 - G.Skill Value Series F3-10600CL9D-8GBNT 2 x 4GB DDR3 1333 RAM
 
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
good start to a build. with a local microcenter I'm assuming you are lucky enough to be on the eastern side of our state. I will make a few notes for you

The Azza is a fantastic case, the gf has one modded and she adores it. One of the better cases i've done mods and builds on. HOWEVER, i got it on rebate for like....55-60 bucks, at its current pricepoint i fully agree its not worth it, mainly because above 100 bucks you get jump in quality and designs. If it was 80 or under i would say buy it in a heartbeat.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820220484 I am using this ram in my current build and it is working nicely, i haven't been able to push the system as much as i would like quite yet... but it's handling everything well so far and after rebate you are looking at 60 bucks.
 
Thanks for your suggestions. For the motherboard, my local Microcenter now lists a couple of cheaper Asus P67 mobos in stock -- the ASUS P8P67 LGA for $160 (they only have one of these) and the ASUS P8P67 LE LGA for $145. They also have the Gigabyte GA-P67A-UD3 for $130. Would any/all of those boards be reasonable choices for me?

It looks like I can get the i5 2500 at Microcenter for $180, so based on Danny's comment, that seems like a nice way to save $70.
 
Thanks for your suggestions. For the motherboard, my local Microcenter now lists a couple of cheaper Asus P67 mobos in stock -- the ASUS P8P67 LGA for $160 (they only have one of these) and the ASUS P8P67 LE LGA for $145. They also have the Gigabyte GA-P67A-UD3 for $130. Would any/all of those boards be reasonable choices for me?

It looks like I can get the i5 2500 at Microcenter for $180, so based on Danny's comment, that seems like a nice way to save $70.

The two Asus mobos are good choice. Evaluate which Asus fits your needs better.
 
Back
Top