[Suggestion Request] Mouse Pad

Hi all,

First post here on HardForum. Tried doing some research on the topic, but have yet to find a concise response to my question.

I've recently bought a Logitech MX518 after reading many threads as well as physically trying out multiple mice. Great buy thanks to HardForum advice!

My issue in the past week of using the MX518 is that my desk has a glass surface, which eventually makes my hand hurt (specifically where the palm meets the wrist). Hoping the problem is not related to the mouse, but solely to the desk.

Scouring the forums has taught me that there are multiple factors to take into account when buying a mouse pad (in no particular order):
a) Comfort (hard or soft surface)
b) Longevity (life before surface wears)
c) Utility (ease of mouse movement)
d) Cleanliness (ease of cleaning)

My question for HardForum is: all other things equal, which mouse pad do you think will address my problem best and why?

As most pads are in the $10-40 range, I'm less concerned about longevity (and therefore cleanliness). My top priorities are comfort and utility.

Looking forward to your input!

Informative

The Rocket Fish mouse pad I just bought and im pretty dang happy with it. It can be found at any best buy, for around $20 bucks I think.

Steelpad QCK Heavy. ;)

The absolute best mouse pad I have ever used. You would expect it to be just like every other cloth mouse pad, but my mouse glides over it so smooth. I have it hanging over my desk a little bit so it pads my wrist from the edge of my glass desk.

Surprisingly, those plain cloth top mouse pads that Staples sells for 5-6 bucks, are very comfortable, and consistent.

My issue in the past week of using the MX518 is that my desk has a glass surface, which eventually makes my hand hurt (specifically where the palm meets the wrist). Hoping the problem is not related to the mouse, but solely to the desk.

The issue is not the desk, its that you have carpal tunnel.

Best mousepad I have ever used is the Ratpadz GS.
http://www.ratpadz.com/

Also using the Ratpadz GS. Wish they had something a bit smaller, hangs over a bit on my tray.

Thanks for the quick responses, y'all. Knew I could count on the HF community for some advice.

I'll let you know what turns up!

EDIT: Follow-up question - what do you folks think about mouse pads with gel supports? My typical computer uses are browsing, gaming and programming.

After looking around a little bit I decided to bite and I just ordered a ratpadz xt the other day after not using a mouse pad for the past 5 years or so. Seems like a good deal for $20 shipped and they have excellent customer service from what I have seen. I have heard they are very good but I will put in my input once I get it.

After looking around a little bit I decided to bite and I just ordered a ratpadz xt the other day after not using a mouse pad for the past 5 years or so. Seems like a good deal for $20 shipped and they have excellent customer service from what I have seen. I have heard they are very good but I will put in my input once I get it.

I got mine last week.
I'll be ordering two more on payday. One for work and one for my wife.

It's a great pad. I highly recommend it! I don't know what it will do for your wrist. It might not be your mouse pad, though -- it could also be your chair or how you're sitting.

Razer Mantis Control pad. Extremely soft, comfortable, and oversized. My MX518 glides over like no other mouse pad I've ever used. I highly recommend it.

Thank you all very, very much for your input. It helped a lot in making a decision.

After all my research and testing at B&M (BestBuy and Staples), it came down to this: Mouse Pad - Blue ($4.99).

Excellent traction, has yet to slip. Comfortable for my hand/wrist. Bit on the small side, but it does the job!

GG Staples.

I hate how all the "gaming" mousepads are oversized. I have really limited desk space, so anything larger than a standard pad is too big. :(

Anybody know the difference between Razer Mantis and Goliathus?
I do! I've got both pads. The Goliathus stomps the Mantis (QCK and Fnatic, too). Goliathus comes in oversized, midsized and small. The Control version has a slightly coarse surface that makes my Diamondback mouse glide effortlessly. The midsized pad is perfect for me. It comes in a Speed version, too.

I do! I've got both pads. The Goliathus stomps the Mantis (QCK and Fnatic, too). Goliathus comes in oversized, midsized and small. The Control version has a slightly coarse surface that makes my Diamondback mouse glide effortlessly. The midsized pad is perfect for me. It comes in a Speed version, too.

How does the Goliathus stomp the Mantis? Texture is better? Build quality better?

I want to get a nice mouse pad and trying to find some justification in spending so much $ on a razer pad.

Back