Suggestion needed for P180

enzoshadow

Weaksauce
Sorry natethegreat I need to borrow your picture for a minute.

I hope the link works.
I am looking for the solution for the best cooling for my system.
Option 1: Will the system cool any better if I place 120mm fans on both A and B as shown in picture?
Option 2: Or just 1 120mm at B?
Option 3: 1 120mm at A, and remove the drive bay?
Which option can cool my system the best?
Also, are the stock 120mm Antec truely horrible? I notice most of the people replaced them with something else.
Thanks for your input! :)

First, let me say that's a pretty clean wire setup for the P180 :eek:. I picked one up and I'm finding it's a HUGE pain trying to make the wiring look good.

The double fan configuration looks a bit redundant. If you're concerned with airflow and you're not using the drive bay, I'd recommend not using the bay completely and getting a higher CFM fan in spot A (according to your image). You're really going to want more intake CFM than exhaust so your case doesn't experience a "vacuum" effect where the exhaust fans will suck in dust from cracks all over your case. Just my two cents :)

The stock Tricool fans are pretty good. They're almost silent, and push a good amount of air.

Whoops, I forgot to make a comment on the Tri-Cool fans. They push a reasonable amount of air without making too much noise but you could better fans that don't have so many wires sticking out. Hope this helps :D.

I heard the 3 tri-cool fans that it comes with can be set to low-medium-high settings but how do you control them? Via Windows? Or is there some nobs to turn around the case somewhere that I'm not seeing? THANKS I'm planning to buy this case too, great thread.

InCogneato said:
I heard the 3 tri-cool fans that it comes with can be set to low-medium-high settings but how do you control them? Via Windows? Or is there some nobs to turn around the case somewhere that I'm not seeing? THANKS I'm planning to buy this case too, great thread.
There's a white tiny swtich that connected to the fan.

Mind if I comment on my setup??? :p

There is no fan installed in the front intake of my P180. If you look in between the gap in the bracket you can see the slats of the intake cover... I just use the bracket as a divider to make a wind tunnel. Without the bracket in there the intake fan could just recirculate air that is already inside the case, with the bracket there and a peice of clear packing tape to seal it up - the fan is certain to draw fresh air :)

I tried these experiments before and found that Option 2 is the best, i.e only a fan in the position B. Adding a fan in the A position actually makes it worse, regardless of it running or not. I don't know why. I also use Yate Loon fans.

Why do you need TWO fans in a bay with NOTHING there? I'm not sure what the justification is for no top exhaust either.

I'd put a fan in the lower chamber, in the front, leave one fan at position A, and put another in the top exhaust. thats exactly how I have mine set up.

Back