• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

suggest new speakers

The Saint

Gawd
Joined
Mar 18, 2003
Messages
1,000
HI guys...

Im looking for some suggestions on a 2 speaker setup for my desk...

keep in mind that I LOVE music, and have all my CDs encoded in looseless format...mostly jazz, some classical and of course pop and such....

But I love sounds! So I need some speakers that sound very good! :p

should not be too big though as I am trying to keep the minimalism in the apartment....

:)

thank you.

Emanuele
 
he said he loved music.. and has them in FLAC/lossless.. so i dont think those logitech's are gonna cut it... anyways how much are you willing to spend?

but I'd recommend a cheap receiver/bookshelves!!!
 
....well, price is really not important but should not be insane :D

what about the Onyx SP3 amp..? is it good?
 
some nice studio monitors, powered or passive.. depending on if you have a stereo reciever lying around.
 
nope....no receiver here.....should I get one?

was thinking about the Noyx SP3 amp to go with the speakers, or for the living room anyway....
 
is this going to be for your living room or on your pc?
 
Swan M200s on the lower end. These sound much more expensive than they are.

Going higher end? You will need amplification, but not necessarily a receiver. A good sound card can handle that if you are staying in 2 Channel. Hey even in 5.1 if you have the cabling.

Teac Legacy AL-700P Amp
Aperion Audio 532 or Axiom M3Ti

Going even higher end?

Bryston 3B-ST amp
Linn Katan bookshelves (now that is a great sounding setup)
 
aZn_plyR said:
he said he loved music.. and has them in FLAC/lossless.. so i dont think those logitech's are gonna cut it... anyways how much are you willing to spend?

but I'd recommend a cheap receiver/bookshelves!!!

no speakers are going to get him anywhere if he doesn't have a quality soundcard.
 
The Saint said:
HI guys...

Im looking for some suggestions on a 2 speaker setup for my desk...

keep in mind that I LOVE music, and have all my CDs encoded in looseless format...mostly jazz, some classical and of course pop and such....

But I love sounds! So I need some speakers that sound very good! :p

should not be too big though as I am trying to keep the minimalism in the apartment....

:)

thank you.

Emanuele
That's a very ambigous post. Should not be too big...................... Does that mean a thin floor standing speaker? or does that mean a small bookshelf?
Price is not really important, but can't be insane............ Hm, I don't know where insane fits in your price range.

Anyway, if you can afford the slightly bigger floorstanding ones, I highly recommend you give the B&W 603 S3 a listen to. They are great speakers for the price! (850$ a pair... its a steal)
If your bent set on bookshelfs, B&W also makes some small ones. Although the sound in the 600 series is no where near the floorstanding 603 or 604, they are still decent for their size, and price. I personally own the 601 S3, for about 380$us a pair, and they are decent.

The only problem though, is that if you want bookshelfs, and your desk isn't very big, you will get some problems due to the fact that bookshelfs just don't sound as good when listening to them near field. Monitors which are designed for near field can fix this.

Do you expect to upgrade in the future to a surround sound setup? If not, a preamp and amp may be in order. If you want something that is cheaper though, a receiver fits the bill (or an integrated amp).

Bottom line, go and listen to them if you can! If that's not possible, make sure the place you buy them from has a good return policy or a money back guarantee.

~Hope this helps, and keep us posted
 
$348 a pr isn't what I would call insane. :)

Also the CBM-170SE's are suitable for monitor work, so they can be used nearfield.

BTW, did you want floorstanders or bookshelves, Saint?
 
Thank guys and sorry for not answering sooner....

well, I'd like the speakers to be bookshelves type, simply because I'd like something minimalist as is the apartment....you know, hearing the sound without knowing where it comes from? :D

in regards to the price, well I can spend $500 or more, but if the source (flac file) is not good enough then the money are not well spent, kinda difficult to explain but I hope you get the idea....
 
The Saint said:
...but if the source (flac file) is not good enough then the money are not well spent, kinda difficult to explain but I hope you get the idea....
I'm not exactly sure what you wanted to say, but... I *think* I get the general gist.

Hm, when you said money was no issue, I thought you were looking at the 2000$us price range for a whole stereo setup. Guess I was wrong.

Anyway, when people say source, they are talking about your sound card mostly.
The fact of the matter is that even if you use onboard sound, moving from 500$ a pair speakers to 1000$ a pair speakers in general will still yield drastic results, although some will argue that it just reveals the limitations of the sound card ^_^.

Still, my recommendation stands. Check out your local professional audio shop and see what they recommend for your price range. Try and listen to what they have to offer. From what was at all the local stores near me, I found the B&W 600 series bookshelfs to be a nice speaker for the money. It's not up there with the 603 or 604, but who can fault it for the price.
a pair of 600's S3 are about 330-350$us.
a pair of 601's S3 are about 380-400$us
a pair of 602's S3 are about 600$us.

<edit>also, for the minimalist approach, they are rather small, and come in a choice of black or a tan color. With the grills on, they don't look flashy at all.</edit>

~Hope this helps, and keep us posted.
 
Well, if you really want out of the way minimalism, Infinity has made new Planar sats ($899 / pr) that should sound very nice, and use a new dispersion technology to broaden the sweet spot. You can even wall mount them, as they are quite flat.

Another option are active monitors. The amp is self-contained and matched to the drivers, so you won't need an amp on your desk. Samson makes some nice ones, as does Yorkville. I'd recommend ones with 6.5" woofers or better since you won't be using a sub.

As for source, what are you using for a soundcard? Or are you running SPDIF to an external unit?
 
thanks guys for all the help....

I still have to pick up a soundcard but I was thinking about the M-Audio Revolution...


how's that?
 
Back
Top