Suggest Gloss/Near-gloss monitors

icor1031

[H]ard|Gawd
My 27QW is acting weird, so I'm preparing for it to fail.

I can't find a single PDC monitor. I abhor matte coatings, even "semi-gloss" is significantly less sharp than glossy.

I like PDC.
I like gloss, because I can put a dayvue filter on it.
I'd also consider the moth-eye and similar coatings, as long as they're sharp - as much or close to as much as glossy.

I want at least 1440, and at least 23".

I'd really like VA type... IPS etc. are also fine... I refuse to go TN.
I'm okay with 4k, as long as I don't have to scale. I wanted the philips VA 40", but they don't make it anymore. :(

Suggestions?

The QNIX 2710 and Nixeus Vue are the only glossy 1440p monitors. You will need to get the QNIX from here because they don't make them anymore. http://www.overclock.net/t/1579589/...x-star-dp2710-and-yamakasi-catleap-equivalent

The Nixeus is 60hz and the QNIX is 96hz. Nixeus Vue https://www.amazon.com/Nixeus-2560x1440-Apple-DisplayPort-Monitor/dp/B00FJCNWYA

Far as 4K goes, the HP Spectre 32 is the only glossy 4K monitor. It that uses the same panel in the BenQ BL3201PT. I run 150% OS scaling and 115% text zoom with an Add-on called NoSquint Plus. This fixes all small text problems and everything looks super sharp.

I got my HP Spectre refurbished. It has 2 dead pixels but even new ones have that issue.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/HP-Spectre-...365045?hash=item3d2a38b735:g:7LoAAOSwcUBYGSxH

Last edited:
As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
It's too bad those qnix don't do glossy anymore.
No go on scaling, I use W7. (It would also be tough to use my side monitors with the massive ears on that screen.) Thanks, though.

I also use Windows 7. I prefer it over Windows 10. The extra sharpness outweighs the small issues that come with scaling IMO. I would rather have 28" for higher PPI but the Spectre is the ONLY glossy 4K monitor that's not a TN panel.

Perhaps you could work something out far as the side monitors go? I would try the Spectre since It's the only option if you want glossy 4K. The QNIX and Nixeus if you want 1440P/2K.

I also use a QNIX for gaming as It's much better for that (Bought from Menacing Tuba). The Spectre is my general purpose monitor for stuff like browsing and watching movies.

Last edited:
I also use Windows 7. I prefer it over Windows 10. The extra sharpness outweighs the small issues that come with scaling IMO. I would rather have 28" for higher PPI but the Spectre is the ONLY glossy 4K monitor that's not a TN panel.

Perhaps you could work something out far as the side monitors go? I would try the Spectre since It's the only option if you want glossy 4K. The QNIX and Nixeus if you want 1440P/2K.

I also use a QNIX for gaming as It's much better for that (Bought from Menacing Tuba). The Spectre is my general purpose monitor for stuff like browsing and watching movies.

Huh? When I had 28" 4k, I couldn't get things to scale decently. Steam was very hard to use, as I recall... Do you have trouble with some programs not scaling or looking like rubbish if they do?
As for the qnix - good finds, but I'm not paying ~$350 for those used screen.

Any info on the moth-eye coated monitors etc?

I also had a 28" 4K but it was Matte so I returned it and got the Spectre after I found out about it. The PPI was great but the Matte coating made the monitor look dull and lifeless. Third party apps tend to have issues with scaling but it's getting better. Some elements in Windows 7 don't scale right but it doesn't bother me as the pros outweigh the cons. Firefox scales good and 4K supported websites with vector graphics and high resolution images are becoming more common. We need to push developers to add support for high DPI screens.

There are a few monitors with PDC AR coating like the (EXTREMELY) expensive 5K UP2715K and Nixeus Vue.

Last edited:
I believe the new Dell Slim line are low haze "semi gloss", the S2718D. As close as your going to get i think.

I also had a 28" 4K but it was Matte so I returned it and got the Spectre after I found out about it. The PPI was great but the Matte coating made the monitor look dull and lifeless. Third party apps tend to have issues with scaling but it's getting better. Some elements in Windows 7 don't scale right but it doesn't bother me as the pros outweigh the cons. Firefox scales good and 4K supported websites with vector graphics and high resolution images are becoming more common. We need to push developers to add support for high DPI screens.

There are a few monitors with PDC AR coating like the (EXTREMELY) expensive 5K UP2715K and Nixeus Vue.

The nixeus is $400, that's not so bad. :)

That 5k is impressive, but it's already discontinued. :(

It's the most-glossy, 1440p monitor I've seen that is still available. Isn't that what you were asking for?

It's the most-glossy, 1440p monitor I've seen that is still available. Isn't that what you were asking for?

I'm looking for gloss or anti-reflective.
I had semi-gloss, it was still a matte coating and it butchered the text clarity.

Windows 7 sucks at scaling. Just curious, what would be keeping someone on Windows 7?

Windows 7 sucks at scaling. Just curious, what would be keeping someone on Windows 7?

Dry eyes.
Windows 10's inactive windows are always bright at the top.

I had a few other issues too, but that's the only one I remember.

The only reason I use Windows 7 is because of all the NSA spying rumors. I can't find a clear answer, It's a million answers for the same question.. I do all my browsing in a Linux VM. Windows 7 OS scaling does suck but websites scale the same on any OS. It's also the tablet/phone look that also bothers me. There has to be a way to make Windows 10 look and function like Windows 7?

The only reason I use Windows 7 is because of all the NSA spying rumors. I can't find a clear answer, It's a million answers for the same question.. I do all my browsing in a Linux VM. Windows 7 OS scaling does suck but websites scale the same on any OS. It's also the tablet/phone look that also bothers me. There has to be a way to make Windows 10 look and function like Windows 7?

If they're going to that much trouble (and they may be), don't you think they'd implement it in a windows 7 update too?

If they're going to that much trouble (and they may be), don't you think they'd implement it in a windows 7 update too?

I was thinking the same thing. It would be a whole lot of trouble to spy on billions of people around the world. Unless you're a terrorist I don't think they care. I mainly just use Windows for Windows specific apps and Linux for anything "Risky"

Just switched to windows 10. Looks like the dark theme works better now. It's still not good enough, but with winaerotweaker - windows 10 is serving me well, so far. I still need to fix the irritating notification noises.

You can probably get a Zalcom ZM27Q1 (27" 1440p) on ebay new. Got one last year from Amazon, but no longer available.The Zalcom is a pretty good glossy and have used it as my main display since. Have several monitors, incl 2 glossies (Yamakasi catleap, but no longer available). Also have a PDC monitor (Yamakasi DS270, also no longer available). I mention these as references in case it may be useful, since we both like glossies. Recently bought a 40" VA TV (Samsung KU7000) and may use that as main monitor. Its close to glossy, as well as being a bit reflective, esp with lights.

You can probably get a Zalcom ZM27Q1 (27" 1440p) on ebay new. Got one last year from Amazon, but no longer available.The Zalcom is a pretty good glossy and have used it as my main display since. Have several monitors, incl 2 glossies (Yamakasi catleap, but no longer available). Also have a PDC monitor (Yamakasi DS270, also no longer available). I mention these as references in case it may be useful, since we both like glossies. Recently bought a 40" VA TV (Samsung KU7000) and may use that as main monitor. Its close to glossy, as well as being a bit reflective, esp with lights.

Thanks

The ZM27Q1 has a untreated glossy display while the NX-VUE27D uses AR coated glass that is laminated to the LCD like the new Apple computers. This reduces reflections. If you want something that reduces glare almost as good as Matte coatings while having a clear glossy display AR coated glass is the only way to go.

The ZM27Q1 has a untreated glossy display while the NX-VUE27D uses AR coated glass that is laminated to the LCD like the new Apple computers. This reduces reflections. If you want something that reduces glare almost as good as Matte coatings while having a clear glossy display AR coated glass is the only way to go.

Seems the NX is nearly unobtainable :\

Back