Sudden Death

Enocerous

n00b
Do power supplies die suddenly without warning?

I shutdown my PC normally and then tried to power on ~1/2 hour later.
No power at all, no lights on the Biostar mobo, no fans, no nothing.

The PS is a 2 year old Silencer 611 that I've had no trouble with prior to this.

I shutdown my PC normally and then tried to power on ~1/2 hour later.
No power at all, no lights on the Biostar mobo, no fans, no nothing.

That is not the normal die scenario that we see. Generally death happens with the system running.

Try removing the power cord for a minute or so and press the power button with the power cord removed. After that reconnect the power and see if it works.

That is not the normal die scenario that we see. Generally death happens with the system running.

Try removing the power cord for a minute or so and press the power button with the power cord removed. After that reconnect the power and see if it works.

Thanks, but I've tried that. I've also swapped power cords and outlets to rule them out.

I've borrowed a multimeter and will test the PS this evening.

Dont forget you need to ground the power good green wire in the ATX connector to get it to start up.

They seem to die with random results.
I seen some die quietly like yours.
I seen some catch fire o_O
Most that I see usually die upon boot, or while running and make a very audible but not exactly loud "pop" sound.

I seen some catch fire o_O

I had one give off some smoke a few months back at work.

Most that I see usually die upon boot,

My results are going to be skewed because we rarely turn machines off and they are all connected to UPSs.

Well, it wasn't the power supply that died.
I tested it with a multimeter, and everything passed. The only wire below par was a 12V that was 11.8; well within tolerance.

Removed everything from the mobo except the CPU and it is still dead; no lights whatsoever on the board.

I'm calling Biostar this evening, since the mobo is less than 18 months old.

Back