• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Subwoofer/bookshelf speakers/PC

Mike89

Gawd
Joined
Jan 27, 2003
Messages
702
Got a DIY question. My old Logitech Z-5500 took a dump on my PC and I want to go in a different direction. Just want a stereo setup with sub. I have a set of Edifier powered book shelf speakers R1280T which sound ok but lack on the bass (bass I used to hear on the Logitech sub, I can't hear anymore, I miss it). I am getting a Dayton Audio 10" sub. How do I hook both these up to my sound card on the PC?
 
You have a sub output on the soundcard, or you can pass the signal through the sub using the appropriate connectors (depends on the sub).
 
I have a center/sub out on my soundcard (Z Blaster). I thought that connector was not active except for 5.1 sound. The Dayton Audio Sub doesn't have pass through unless you use high level speaker inputs (if I'm reading that correctly). I currently have the Edifier speakers hooked up to green stereo out from soundcard via 3.5mm jack with two RCA on other end into right powered side of speakers. Now I have to figure out how to get the sub in there.
 
Last edited:
Can't say for sure; I know that the output is there, but you'll have to try it. As for the pass-through on the sub, might try finding a sub with a line-level passthrough? I picked up a studio sub specifically because I passthrough balanced line-level to a passive pre-amp (to control volume) and then to my JBL studio monitors, for example.
 
probably the easiest thing to do if you are set on this edifier + dayton Sub setup.. your money your choice..

is to get a 3.5mm splitter and 2x 3.5mm to RCA cables (assuming your pc has 3.5mm output as pc sound cards tend to do.. if you have RCA outputs then get rca splitter cable).

hook one rca to the edifier and other rca cable to sub (adjust crossover as desired)

now that's all fine and good luck... i hope you like the sound, but the sub is what $120~ish (assuming you haven't already bought it?)

plus cables..

I'll just toss this idea out there (depending on desk space ..etc) you can sometimes find very good deals on used home stereo equipment

I have these 10" 3way yamaha NS-344 speakers I got for under $50 for example and I have a 100Watts per channel Kenwood KR-V106R receiver that cost $20.. for $70 I'm going to guess my vintage / used setup will walk all over them edifiers + sub.. not to rip on your gear and the speakers are a bit big not everyone has room for this kinda gear.. (amp is big also)

if space challenged a little class d amp + smaller desktop speakers (used if you can find something good / working) or like ELAC B6 would be awesome..

anyways pics of some of my used gear
Yamaha NS-344's and the Kennwood apear in this pic (also in pic $80 Pioneer SX-3600 , $50 NHT SuperZero's , $20 MK speakers and $40 JBL L1's (these are great speakers that could probably do just fine without a sub ..depending on people's tastes.. they a 2ways but pretty close to full range imho.)
desk_jun18.jpg


oh yeah that huge sony stack to the left cost me $75 =p $15 per component on 1/2 off sale at goodwill.. I was astounded and well more astounded at my good fortune on that one..
 
Well I already have the Edifiers so wanted to try to make the most out of what I had. Spending $120 on a 10" sub seemed like a good way to go. My space and pocket book is limited so I have to try to get a good result on what I have to work with (and spend). I had the pretty much piece of shit Logitech Z-5500 that I listened to for years before it crapped out. I made due with it even though it was pretty mediocre sound with decent bass. When it crapped out, I tried these two Edifiers by themselves and the sound was better than all 5 of the Logitech speakers but without the deep bass. That's what made me go the direction I'm trying now. Logitech's attempt with this at 5.1 failed miserably (to my ears).
 
I know my Xonar has a "flexbass" crossover feature that can create a LFE channel out of stereo input that doesn't normally support. I bet your creative card has something similar, which means you can just plug in any (amped) sub to the LFE channel without having to worry about analog crossover or anything like that.
 
Unless the SBZ card can run audio to the subwoofer in stereo mode, you're in a rough spot with what you have. I have an X-Fi card and I can't make it use the sub output unless it's configured for 5.1/7.1 output, you don't want to do that if you don't have that many speakers connected.

I think the ideal configuration would be stereo out from the sound card into the subwoofer and then to the speakers, but I think you're only going to be able to accomplish that with a series of line-level converters and I'm not sure that's possible. I have an older Dayton 12" sub that has RCA in and out, that would probably work for your setup, doesn't look like they have that on their newer subs.
 
Unless the SBZ card can run audio to the subwoofer in stereo mode, you're in a rough spot with what you have. I have an X-Fi card and I can't make it use the sub output unless it's configured for 5.1/7.1 output, you don't want to do that if you don't have that many speakers connected.

I think the ideal configuration would be stereo out from the sound card into the subwoofer and then to the speakers, but I think you're only going to be able to accomplish that with a series of line-level converters and I'm not sure that's possible. I have an older Dayton 12" sub that has RCA in and out, that would probably work for your setup, doesn't look like they have that on their newer subs.
A simple active crossover is needed if the sub lacks its own. Easily handmade and cheap to buy.
 
Not to open a new topic, what can be cleverly put specifically on these Alesis Elevate 3 mk2 speakers?
"Elevate 3 features a subwoofer output compatible with virtually any outboard powered subwoofer."
https://www.alesis.com/products/view/elevate-3-mkii

  • Dedicated subwoofer output for use with virtually any powered subwoofer
The only thing I found was this Edifier T5 subwoofer for 145 euros, would it fit? I don't know if it is possible to connect it or not? I see that these active subwoofers are quite expensive.
https://www.edifier.com/global/p/subwoofers/t5
 
There's no need for a new topic, does it make sense to put sub on these 2.0 speakers, which, let's just say, are not of good quality, there is also some slight hum from them, I don't like their sound, these edifiers, which are twice as cheap or more, sound better to me.
I should have bought a presonus eris 3.5 active speakers but now there is no return.It will be 2 years that I have them.
 
There's no need for a new topic, does it make sense to put sub on these 2.0 speakers, which, let's just say, are not of good quality, there is also some slight hum from them, I don't like their sound, these edifiers, which are twice as cheap or more, sound better to me.
I should have bought a presonus eris 3.5 active speakers but now there is no return.It will be 2 years that I have them.
A discreetly powered sub is always a good choice. It will, always, add lower frequencies that the monitors cannot reproduce. I have a pair of Klipsch bookshelf speakers that sound good and a polk center that I run in prologic and without the sub it's flat. Even in stero they lack depth. Subwoofers add something to every setup.

I'm a big fan of Subwoofers in every musical or theatrical application.

Get a decent sub or build your own. For example all the Polk subs I have used that are around 8" subs are garbage. Most prepackaged Subs are trash, unless it's a BIC F12 or a Klipsch 15, it will probably sound like poo.

I ended up replacing the sub drivers in every premade box I buy. Typically drop in something like an Infinity Kappa, but at that point you might as well just buy a Box, the Sub and get an amp and make your own. The Kappa series is a death machine and amazing.
 
Once you go SVS you will not go back ! I have the SB2000 pro around 1000 USD does 18 Hz @ 100 dB in my living room.

The inexpensive SB 1000 is ideal for PC setup. Go back to a of my posts if you want to learn more.
 
Thanks for the answers, nothing seems to be happening, it's all too expensive for me, I was planning something cheaper like the edifier t5 subwoofer or even cheaper. The edifier T5 is now on sale in one store for 128 euros, but I think I'll give up everything.
Those subwoofers are mostly expensive, they are not like 2.0 speakers.
 
Thanks for the answers, nothing seems to be happening, it's all too expensive for me, I was planning something cheaper like the edifier t5 subwoofer or even cheaper. The edifier T5 is now on sale in one store for 128 euros, but I think I'll give up everything.
Those subwoofers are mostly expensive, they are not like 2.0 speakers.
Perhaps you could find something used in your local marketplace, like above all you would need to connect would be an 1/8" (3.5mm) stereo to RCA cable. Just make sure the subwoofer has RCA inputs, I doubt you could find any speaker-level only subwoofers at this point but it's possible I guess.

Another option is buy a higher quality speaker set and sell the ones you have now, a new one which is pretty solid is the Kali LP-UNF. (I don't believe they have a subwoofer output, however)
 
Perhaps you could find something used in your local marketplace, like above all you would need to connect would be an 1/8" (3.5mm) stereo to RCA cable. Just make sure the subwoofer has RCA inputs, I doubt you could find any speaker-level only subwoofers at this point but it's possible I guess.

Another option is buy a higher quality speaker set and sell the ones you have now, a new one which is pretty solid is the Kali LP-UNF. (I don't believe they have a subwoofer output, however)
I have them, but they cost 361.25 euros, for that money you should hear them connected on a computer, there is no point in buying them if I don't hear them live first, because they have a high price and I should listen to them before buying to see if they really sound great or not .I have never heard anything expensive, be it headphones or speakers.
https://www.audiopro.hr/proizvod/kali-audio-lp-unf-aktivni-studijski-monitori-par?idPro=61615
 
If you're using small passive speakers, you're either going to get good bass with low efficiency or anemic bass with decent efficiency. With powered speakers you can kind of get both but then you're talking about real money to get decent flat response, especially down in the lower registers.
 
If you're using small passive speakers, you're either going to get good bass with low efficiency or anemic bass with decent efficiency. With powered speakers you can kind of get both but then you're talking about real money to get decent flat response, especially down in the lower registers.
What efficiency do you mean? I'm not an audio freak, as far as I know, self-powered speakers can't be better than passive speakers that are powered by something else, I have no idea what and what kind of cables, etc.,that's where balanced cables come into play, and all computer speakers don't have balanced cables, i.e. then the computer should also be balanced, but I don't bother with that, in general I might buy an edifier t5 subwoofer or some other active computer speakers, I have no idea..
These KALI are quite expensive,I would have to listen to them live before buying, if the sound is not much better than the alesis elevate 3, then they are not worth the money.(me personally)
 
I finally bought an edifier t5 sub that I will pair with alesis elevate 3 2.0 speakers.
Edifier t5 arrived today, when you look at the price, all the others cost a lot more, as far as I can see, this is one of the most affordable, cheapest PC subwoofers I've seen, which can be bought separately.
It should be ok to listen to fm radio stations.
 
Last edited:
Back
Top