Sub $400 HTPC build

volt01

Limp Gawd
1) What will you be doing with this PC? Gaming? Photoshop? Web browsing? etc
HTPC, Music, hulu,netflix
2) What's your budget? Are tax and shipping included?
Between $300-400 preferably closer to 300

3) Where do you live?
Pittsburgh Pennsylvania

4) What exact parts do you need for that budget? CPU, RAM, case, etc. Please be very specific.
Everything minus monitor, mouse and keyboard

5) If reusing any parts, what parts will you be reusing? Please be especially specific about the power supply. List make and model.
N/A
6) Will you be overclocking?
Not unless I need to

7) What size monitor do you have and/or plan to have?
1080p/720p

8) When do you plan on building/buying the PC?
Soon May at the latest

9) What features do you need in a motherboard? RAID? Firewire? Crossfire or SLI support? etc.
None of these needed

10) Do you already have a legit and reusable/transferable OS key/license? If yes, what OS? 32bit or 64bit?
yes 7 64bit

I would like a htpc, preferably in a smaller case like this antec one
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811129046
Unless someone has a better alternative.

I would also like a tv tuner that would allow me to record tv. Does anyone know of any that will allow me to add a cable card to the tuner.

May I kindly recommend you look into buying a Patriot Box Office or a Western Digital Live instead of paying for a HTPC?

I think you would find better value with either product.

3) Where do you live?
Pittsburgh Pennsylvania
Same here, well Robinson Township 3 miles from the international airport. I work for Pitt doing medical imaging research.

My idea of a good HTPC frontend is the following:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...103228&cm_re=acer_revo-_-83-103-228-_-Product

I have this on my to buy list to add to my Mythtv network.

http://www.mythtv.org/

But you mentioned you wanted a tuner so you probably want something more beefy. Do you have Comcast? I ask that since all digital is encrypted except the 6 to 8 locals. This limits the usefulness of a digital tuner like a HD homerun. Although I believe SiliconDust is coming out with a networked dual tuner box that uses cable cards.

Last edited:
Is a TV tuner part of that $300 to $400 budget?

May I kindly recommend you look into buying a Patriot Box Office or a Western Digital Live instead of paying for a HTPC?

I think you would find better value with either product.

Do either of these record tv? That's one of the main reasons I wanted to build the htpc

But you mentioned you wanted a tuner so you probably want something more beefy. Do you have Comcast? I ask that since all digital is encrypted except the 6 to 8 locals. This limits the usefulness of a digital tuner like a HD homerun. Although I believe SiliconDust is coming out with a networked dual tuner box that uses cable cards.
Yeah I do have comcast. Kinda puts a wrench in the whole plan. I guess I'd be better off just using my 360 as a htpc and storing all music, movies and tv shows on my pc. Only thing I lose is the ability to watch hulu on the tv. Can still watch netflix though. Also I'm a student at Pitt so were basically right next door that's crazy.

Last edited:
Yeah I do have comcast. Kinda puts a wrench in the whole plan. I guess I'd be better off just using my 360 as a htpc and storing all music, movies and tv shows on my pc. Only thing I lose is the ability to watch hulu on the tv. Can still watch netflix though. Also I'm a student at Pitt so were basically right next door that's crazy.

Yeah, if you to record those encrypted or premium HD content, right now, the only option is this:
$210 - ATI TV Wonder Cable Card

Then you have to contact Comcast to give you or install a cable card for you. Do note that you will still need a HTPC/PC in order to use the ATI product above.

You could probably get a PC for $200 but more than likely it would not be capable of 1080P content and would be a bit sluggish when using Hulu or Netflix.

Back