Sub $100 video Card for HTPC (No Game Use)

computerinfo

Limp Gawd
I need a new video card that is under $100. I was thinking about getting something like an ATI 4830 or 3870.

Here is the real problem I am having:

- I do not know the difference between: VisionTek, Asus, Gigabyte, MSI, Diamond, etc...
- I an just annoyed by all the Rebate problems going on now

I do not play games and just need a cool, quiet card for HTPC and Photoshop use.

Here is just one card I saw:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814103050

Any ideas for me......

That card is plenty powerful for what you'd be using it for. However, from reading a few of the reviews on Newegg it seems people are having issues getting their rebates.

I know that the 3800 and 4800 series are good for HTPC's, but what others will allow the video decoding to be ofloaded from the CPU?

I know that the 3800 and 4800 series are good for HTPC's, but what others will allow the video decoding to be ofloaded from the CPU?

The 3400, 3600, and 4600 series also allow video decoding to be offloaded from the CPU. However, the 4XXX series is the recommended choice since they provide audio through HDMI, which none of the 3XXX series can do IIRC.

So it looks like a 4830 is probably the way to go.

Are there any recommended models that are quiet and cool?

I am not as familiar with the ATI brands as I am with the nVidia ones.

Couple things to check before purchasing. Do you require a low-profile card? Is your PSU going to be able to handle the new card?

For me I had to pick a card that didn't have a 6pin PCIe power plug on it. The Dell Optiplex I put it in simply didn't have PCIe power, nor did it have molex connectors coming off the PSU. Plus it's a SFF case, so the card also had to be low-profile. For me the HD3450 fit the bill. Silent, low profile and powerless. It processes 1080p video with no problem, and rarely do I see my CPU usage go above 5% while doing it.

So, you could save a few bucks and get something cheaper if HD video is all you need it for.

Well, I went with the Asus 4830 for $99. I guess you can never have too much power. I am sure I will thank myself for spending the extra $30 in a year or so.

The 3400, 3600, and 4600 series also allow video decoding to be offloaded from the CPU. However, the 4XXX series is the recommended choice since they provide audio through HDMI, which none of the 3XXX series can do IIRC.

Wrong. You can do audio over hdmi since the 3800 days

Back