Stutter/Choppiness at 4k (Witcher 2)

hajalie24

[H]ard|Gawd
Ok, this is a weird issue and I'm not sure what's happening.

With 2 290s, I'm having stuttering issues while trying to play The Witcher 2 at 4k. I get over 60 fps most of the time, usually more than 70 (which is odd because vsync is supposed to be on), yet it doesn't feel smooth at all. Lowering the settings did not help at all.

What did help, was lowering the resolution. Changing it to 2560x1440 or 3200x1800, and all of a sudden it's silky smooth, and actually locked to 60fps!

Why is this happening? I'm going to try more games and report back, but it's odd. I'm starting to wonder if pci-e 2.0 x8 is affecting it.

might be hitting vram limit....try 15.7 driver if you haven't done so yet as i have noticed it managess the vram a tad better

Check what is maxing out with MSI Afterburner.
You can graph CPU use on it as well.

The game only uses around 1.2GB of VRAM.

It turns out I had to use radeonpro to match the framerate to the display. That seems to have done it, but it does seem to sometimes stutter even while at 60fps, but most of the other times when it does stutter it's because it dips below 60fps.

heck i figured at 4k it would use more than that....i have seen mine use close to 3gbs at only 1080p:)

It's due to 2 things:

1) Witcher 2 has never run well in CrossFire.

2) It's a DX9 game, and AMD has poor frame pacing in DX9 games.

You'll pretty much have to brute-force it with high enough frame rates that an occasional hiccup isn't as noticeable.

I notice that when I stutter while still maintaining 60fps my core clock decreases, even at less than 95C and power limit at 50%.

It's odd that the clocks are decreasing in the first place, but why would it even cause performance issues when the fps remains the same? I thought these cards were meant to constantly change the clock speed to keep up with temps.

Back