Stupidest iPhone Case Ever

I fully support the use of this phone case by anybody who honestly thinks it is cool. Really they will just end up doing us all a favour.

I saw this on another site earlier from Flipboard (great app on mobile devices), saw the picture, realized what it was immediately and thought "Ok, that dumbass is just asking for trouble."

Now, as for the person being charged with some kind of crime, that's where I'd step in and say "Yes, this person did something truly fucking stupid, but seeing as it is not a real gun, not even a fake one, just the shell of the appearance of a gun, are we really and truly going to start putting people in jail for being stupid fucking people?" and thought "I'm ok with that."

But I'm not ok with the person being charged with some kind of crime that doesn't actually exist on the books but they'll twist and turn it around in some convoluted fashion to make some bullshit up and charge the person anyway.

Then I realized it's in the UK so what the fuck do I actually care. :)

I fully support the use of this phone case by anybody who honestly thinks it is cool. Really they will just end up doing us all a favour.

What is sad is that some people will actually buy this thing. I need to go into the Mortuary business.

Some states impose criminal penalties for crimes involving the use of a fake gun that appears to be real. For example, if a person robs a store using a fake weapon, but the store owners believed it was a real gun, the suspect can be charged with an even more serious crime.

This case gives police a green light to do whatever they want and get away with it. I would fully expect to get arrested if I was walking down the road with that in my back pocket and a cop came up behind me. It's simply a bad idea.

Looks to me it would just make it more tempting and easier for a thief to grab and run with it before you knew it was even gone. Unsecured, easy grab handle, back pocket. Might as well hang a sign that says "steal me".

Carrying into an airport is no smarter than carrying a water pistol into an airport. It's just something you don't do. It's a bad design all the way around. If you want to open carry a pistol, then open carry a real pistol, secure it, and know how to use it. Pretending to open carry just to look cool is just silly.

Some states impose criminal penalties for crimes involving the use of a fake gun that appears to be real. For example, if a person robs a store using a fake weapon, but the store owners believed it was a real gun, the suspect can be charged with an even more serious crime.

This case gives police a green light to do whatever they want and get away with it. I would fully expect to get arrested if I was walking down the road with that in my back pocket and a cop came up behind me. It's simply a bad idea.

In light of current events, this case would give the police reason to execute whomever has it.

Nonsense.

That clearly only applies to black people.

Nah, they still kill white people just the same, it's just there are more of us....so obviously it's just below the percentage threshold of the population for the media to care.

these forum posts summarize why it's not a good idea to open carry anymore.

-Person sees you with gun, person fears for their life because you have a gun, they shoot you now person is able to walk away with no charges. All because they "feared" for their life.

Phone cases like this ultimately would likely see the number of shooting deaths increase.

They'll still blame the LEO that shoots him.
Only if he's black, threatened someone with it causing police to be called, has a felony record, is a convicted pedophile child rapist, and disregards police instructions and then fights them.

That's the bar we have set for victim-hero status now.

Perfect! I was just thinking I didn't have any nice fashion accessories to go with my shotgun umbrella

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
these forum posts summarize why it's not a good idea to open carry anymore.

-Person sees you with gun, person fears for their life because you have a gun, they shoot you now person is able to walk away with no charges. All because they "feared" for their life.

Phone cases like this ultimately would likely see the number of shooting deaths increase.

Not being a gun owner, this makes me curious. Carrying a gun openly makes everyone think you're about to do something illegal and shoot you. Putting your gun in a purse or messenger bag and you're breaking concealed carry laws (since you apparently can't get permits in some states unless you're a public figure or famous). So how do people transport guns discretely? Since you can't conceal them, it seems rather catch-22.

People are going to buy this, get shot (or in trouble), and throw a big stink like they didn't know something was going to happen...

How long before some convenience store clerk shoots a customer that pulls one of these out to pay for cigarettes with Apple Pay?

The really sad part about the world today is that the sight of a gun gives people a reason to immediately say "you're gonna get shot for that..." almost as a knee-jerk reaction. The comments - and I know I myself said this person with the iPhone gun case was just asking for it but I didn't mean getting shot for it, I meant getting himself/herself in a heap of hassles because of it - where the automagic reaction is "wear this case or anything like it, you're going to get shot..." is a problem in and of itself.

I've had people in my lifetime that were law enforcement, a brother-in-law that was a police officer, then detective, then took over as a hostage negotiator and now after retiring with 35 years on the force he went into being a private investigator. I asked him about the situations in the world today and what he thought of how things were going (haven't spoken to him since the two shootings in the past 2-3 days however) and one thing kept jumping out at me which was this:

In the past, to the best of my knowledge, law enforcement of all kinds and in all places were trained with the concept of "You are not to fire your weapon unless fired upon first..." and somehow I don't see that being actually the case anymore. What I see are law enforcement, in various videos of all kinds from all places, basically having a knee-jerk reaction of their own and immediately reaching for their firearm first, before most anything else happens, in situations that honestly don't call for the firearm to be drawn at all. Now of course I'm just a bystander making a post on a forum on the Internet, what the fuck do I know, right? Right.

I asked him about that aspect of things and he said it was basically rule one in our home town area in his time on the force, but he's noticed that the contacts he's made since he retired from the force now seem to favor pulling their firearms first in most any situation, as if the action itself and them brandishing their weapons is supposed to become an even more convincing deterrent. I laughed at that and he asked me why and I said "It's not that people are afraid of cops, or cops brandishing weapons anymore, it's that people are afraid of being killed for irrational reasons and the cops basically getting an 'Attaboy...' from their respective forces for doing it."

He didn't grasp my meaning but that's fine, I know what I meant and he's still a cop at heart so he can't really comprehend it from a non-cop perspective (personal opinion after knowing him 35+ years). I can't say that for all cops but law enforcement does have a certain mentality to it they almost beat into new recruits as they move into the profession.

Even so, it's a chilling sign that the immediate reaction is pull a firearm first, then go from there. It's a more chilling sign to me that people's immediate reactions are "Do <whatever action here> and get shot..."

What a fucked up world this is, and it's getting worse by the second. :(

Last edited by a moderator:
Maybe the trigger interacts with the camera app.

Squeezing the trigger makes it start shooting (pictures of course).

People who carry this type of phone case are the future darwin award winners.

I'd love to see the reaction here in Canada. I know people who have had the cops called by casual observers when carrying prop guns for stage productions (and not like you'd carry an actual gun).

An iPhone case that's a cop magnet, that's what you want!

e3aa98a88e2839e109c364fa308b6ddd.gif

i've seen enough dumb for one day.

Not being a gun owner, this makes me curious. Carrying a gun openly makes everyone think you're about to do something illegal and shoot you. Putting your gun in a purse or messenger bag and you're breaking concealed carry laws (since you apparently can't get permits in some states unless you're a public figure or famous). So how do people transport guns discretely? Since you can't conceal them, it seems rather catch-22.

My dad is a shooting enthusiast. Before he had a concealed carry permit (and most of the time these days too), he would put them in a secured handgun carrying case, unloaded, with the ammo stored in a separate compartment. He never had a problem. Long guns, he would transport them typically in some state of disassembly so it was obvious that they could not be fired. There really isn't much reason to walk any further than from the car to the range if you are target shooting. Odds of you having a problem in that situation are about zero.

My dad is a shooting enthusiast. Before he had a concealed carry permit (and most of the time these days too), he would put them in a secured handgun carrying case, unloaded, with the ammo stored in a separate compartment. He never had a problem. Long guns, he would transport them typically in some state of disassembly so it was obvious that they could not be fired. There really isn't much reason to walk any further than from the car to the range if you are target shooting. Odds of you having a problem in that situation are about zero.

This.

When I take mine out to a friends to shoot they are all in the trunk or back in cases. Open carry if allowed will not be an issue, but they can start to get after you for inciting panic. Funny how laws work that way isnt it. Yea I probably wouldn't go to the metroparks with my AR15 around my shoulder just because I am allowed lol.

Different set of rules for gun transportation. Usually it'll be, unloaded weapon, in the trunk or in a locked container (not glove box), not within reach of the driver/passengers, and hidden.

I think all of you are looking at this case the wrong way. It actually offers a choice of how your phone to kill you.

1. Slow, protracted, painful death from radiation-induced brain cancer
2. Quick death from a cop who thinks you're about to rob a Starbucks when you pull out your phone for Apple Pay

Not being a gun owner, this makes me curious. Carrying a gun openly makes everyone think you're about to do something illegal and shoot you.
I am a CHL holder against open carry, but this makes no sense. Since when is a guy carrying a firearm openly in a rig the same as any police officer does, "making everyone think you're about to do something illegal" and even grounds to be shot on sight just for carrying?

Plains clothes police officers have been open carrying forever, and its no problem. What makes someone look like a criminal is not carrying a rigged firearm in a holster while walking, talking, and dressing spiffy like any other productive trusted contributing member of society, its looking and acting like a criminal by dressing in baggy pants with your boxers showing, with a hoodie or skull cap, gold teeth, tattoos, gangster accent, and doing everything in their power to project an image of a criminal on purpose (aka "yo, check out how gangsta I look").

I don't personally like this, and think it is going to set back gun owners rights and be abused by people that want to intimidate others and be jerks, but this is not a threatening look. IMO something like this look would put me far more on the defensive, despite the lack of a visible firearm. Why? Real world statistics. Texas CHL holders have 1/3rd the murder rate of even police officers, yet alone ridiculously lower probability compared to the average person in America. The violent crime rate of CHL holders is also lower than any defined demographic in America. Why? Because not only does obtaining a CHL involve a particular type of individual that tends to be very law abiding, but it automatically weeds out anyone with a criminal history since they are immediately intelligible to even apply. Likewise in Texas at least, the same rules apply to open carry, and no criminal can do it.

However, a big difference here is that a proper restraint holster securely holds the firearm and isn't ever touched. Pulling an iPhone out of a pocket with just a partially revealed firearm very half-haphazardly stored and drawing it forward is cause for immediate alarm. So its not really the same thing, and is insanely idiotic.

The really sad part about the world today is that the sight of a gun gives people a reason to immediately say "you're gonna get shot for that..." almost as a knee-jerk reaction. The comments - and I know I myself said this person with the iPhone gun case was just asking for it but I didn't mean getting shot for it, I meant getting himself/herself in a heap of hassles because of it - where the automagic reaction is "wear this case or anything like it, you're going to get shot..." is a problem in and of itself.
This isn't anything new. Black Panthers were openly carrying guns around in the 60s, and we all know what happened to them.

On the topic, I see no purpose for this case other than to attract attention.

Slightly off topic:

I am a CHL holder against open carry, but this makes no sense. Since when is a guy carrying a firearm openly in a rig the same as any police officer does, "making everyone think you're about to do something illegal" and even grounds to be shot on sight just for carrying?

Police officers in the United States all carry weapons. We are taught from a young age to trust police officers to protect us and do the right thing. At the same time, guns are taught to be respected and feared as something that can end yours and / or others life. Seeing anyone regardless of age or race who isn't wearing a uniform associated with firearms will automatically signal in most people's mind a sense of alert or danger. If you say this is anything other than the case you're lying to yourself or citing a minority example. While not in every circumstance, what we're seeing (in the media) our law enforcement engages in a draw first manner (sometimes even firing) to an, "Interpreted" threat . How do you expect someone without any sort of law enforcement training or firearm knowledge to react without fear?

I do work in IT, but I'm also a BJJ black belt who works with local and federal law enforcement teaching self defense, unarmed combat, and weapon retention. I deal with these kinds of questions on a dailly basis and in most instances you have to differentiate. Local and federal law enforcement function at two very different levels and purposes.

Plains clothes police officers have been open carrying forever, and its no problem. What makes someone look like a criminal is not carrying a rigged firearm in a holster while walking, talking, and dressing spiffy like any other productive trusted contributing member of society, its looking and acting like a criminal by dressing in baggy pants with your boxers showing, with a hoodie or skull cap, gold teeth, tattoos, gangster accent, and doing everything in their power to project an image of a criminal on purpose (aka "yo, check out how gangsta I look").

I don't personally like this, and think it is going to set back gun owners rights and be abused by people that want to intimidate others and be jerks, but this is not a threatening look. IMO something like this look would put me far more on the defensive, despite the lack of a visible firearm. Why? Real world statistics. Texas CHL holders have 1/3rd the murder rate of even police officers, yet alone ridiculously lower probability compared to the average person in America. The violent crime rate of CHL holders is also lower than any defined demographic in America. Why? Because not only does obtaining a CHL involve a particular type of individual that tends to be very law abiding, but it automatically weeds out anyone with a criminal history since they are immediately intelligible to even apply. Likewise in Texas at least, the same rules apply to open carry, and no criminal can do it.

However, a big difference here is that a proper restraint holster securely holds the firearm and isn't ever touched. Pulling an iPhone out of a pocket with just a partially revealed firearm very half-haphazardly stored and drawing it forward is cause for immediate alarm. So its not really the same thing, and is insanely idiotic.

Avoiding politics and not even touching this part.

Back