Stupid router.

DeFex

[H]ard|DCer of the Month - June 2011
I have a DIR-665 because at the time it was supposed to be great, i has lasted much better than any linksys i had, they tend to die about a month or 2 after the warranty runs out.

anyways cable connected box will either block everything else from using the internet while it is uploading, or just kill it till i reset it.

the wifi connected ones just upload and dont interfere.

has anyone else had trouble like that, and is there a way to fix it without making the upload really slow?

thats not the routers fault. It will happen with all routers in my experience.

For whatever reason when ever you max your upload, it will destroy your download as well.

Do you know what your max upload is? I would try to cap your upload for that machine so you dont max out your connection.

EDIT, i should also note that I currently run the DIR-655 and dont have this issue, but im on 30/5 connection.

my 655 has no problems, have you tried a hard/factory reset? is the 655 connected to a modem with integrated router? having two DHCP devices on the same network can cause funky problems

I used to have this problem before, my solution to the problem was to setup QoS on a pfsense router I built. Also, you can setup a penalty ip and limit how much bandwidth it will use, both upload and download. That definitely helps a lot. Now I can't even tell when I'm downloading/uploading a bigadv wu.

but the machine which is causing the problem is my "main box" and usually the F@H upload uses the same 8800 port as normal http etc.

router is connected to a simple speedstream DSL modem which does not cause any problems, and restarting the router always gets things going even without restarting the DSL modem.

Before i started folding a lot this winter i never had any trouble like this, but i never had to upload 100 meg bigadv results :)

Don't use up more than about 80% of your upload. I remember during my BT days, it was common practice to always limit your upload to about 80%, otherwise you run the risk of essentially choking your own connection out.

Setup QoS on the 655.

In the rules you can configure it for your local machine and the port to 8080 and the remote range to be stanford.

how do i find the Stanford IP range?

can i just set the piority lower, there is not an actual amount you can set

I think you can put a DNS name in there *.stanford.edu
Yea put the priority like 255

nope, it wants numbers. "*.stanford.edu" wont let me save.

found it
171.64.122.87-171.64.122.144
put a rule in for anything on my side gets bottom priority in that range.
lets see if that helps!

Also don't forget the Swedish bigadv server that gives us the lovely 6900s: 130.237.232.141

You could also try Langouste to cap upload speeds. Musky put me on to it - basically it gives you 20 mins extra folding a day as it grabs a new work unit while the finished one uploads. But it can cap upload speeds to prevent choking your connection.

I read about Langouste, will it work if i am using GPU tracker? basically i am lazy :)

Well the router still crapped out over night sending one, but I am actually posting this while one is uploading! yay, thanks for the help.:cool:

You can also try manually setting the upload speed for DIR-655. I would set it to about 85% of your max upload...this way no matter what you are doing you will never max out your connection.

For whatever reason when ever you max your upload, it will destroy your download as well.

QFT.
Odd that you've had problems with Linksys and none with D-Link; my experience has been the complete opposite. :)

When we had DSL Elite with SBC/AT&T (6mbps down / 512k up) it would choke when upping a bigadv. Now that we have U-Verse and quite a bit more speed (18mbps down / 1.5mbps up) I haven't noticed any choking. ;)

I read about Langouste, will it work if i am using GPU tracker? basically i am lazy :)

I don't know for sure - I am only using it with bigadv. But the notes say it does handle multiple clients per machine, so it should work. Whether it is useful is another question - I never looked at how long GPUs are idle between units, and how much they hog a net connection.

EDIT: ok, I think I misread your question - you weren't asking if it would work with GPU folding, you were asking about GPU Tracker... well it might run into problems there, as Tracker runs FAH in oneunit mode and watches over them. It does work on my bigadv client - that was installed using GPU tracker, but now I run shortcuts to the FAH.exe directly and don't run Tracker - firing it up has borked units on me from time to time so I have abandoned it:

Target: "C:\Apps\FAH GPU Tracker\FAH.exe" -forceasm -smp -verbosity 9 -bigadv
Start In: "C:\Apps\FAH GPU Tracker\SMP"

Last edited:
Looks like sending the work is not what makes it crap out after all, last night it sent 3 and THEN crapper out. Aren't there any routers which are not designed to die after a couple of years?

Looks like sending the work is not what makes it crap out after all, last night it sent 3 and THEN crapper out. Aren't there any routers which are not designed to die after a couple of years?

no because then companies wouldn't make any money. if you want something to last more then a year you have to go enterprise level since most of that stuff is designed to survive 5+ years and cost a pretty penny because of it. sounds more like the router is overheating.

QFT.
Odd that you've had problems with Linksys and none with D-Link; my experience has been the complete opposite. :)

When we had DSL Elite with SBC/AT&T (6mbps down / 512k up) it would choke when upping a bigadv. Now that we have U-Verse and quite a bit more speed (18mbps down / 1.5mbps up) I haven't noticed any choking. ;)

i've had endless problems with linksys. my d-link routers refuse to die even though i beat em up and have them transfering TB's of data between computers. the linksys router i had bit the bullet 400GB into a 1TB transfer after the first week of owning it. figured it was just a bad router, swapped it for a new one. 300GB into it that one died.. finally gave up and just threw my d-link back on. 4 years later the d-links still kicking with no signs of dying.

Do you know what your max upload is? I would try to cap your upload for that machine so you dont max out your connection.

EDIT, i should also note that I currently run the DIR-655 and dont have this issue, but im on 30/5 connection.

the rule of thumb is to never exceed more then 80% of your upload speed otherwise your DL speed suffers when on a half duplex connection, but it all depends on your connection. DSL/Cable are typically half duplex connections where as fiber optics(uverse/fios) are full duplex connections so you can max out ul/dl and not have any issues.

Last edited:
Also don't forget the Swedish bigadv server that gives us the lovely 6900s: 130.237.232.141

You could also try Langouste to cap upload speeds. Musky put me on to it - basically it gives you 20 mins extra folding a day as it grabs a new work unit while the finished one uploads. But it can cap upload speeds to prevent choking your connection.

I remember that. I need to try it
Posted via Mobile Device

Back