Stupid "Critical" Updates from MS.

ShadowStriker

[H]ard|Gawd
What's with MS trying to push "critical updates" which are stuff like Live Essentials, and Live Games 3.0? These aren't even critical updates...

I know. What's more, they don't always install properly on my desktop and my antivirus bitches about the OS being out of date.

I'm all for using an AV and keeping it up to date but when MS pushes it's Live essentials as a "critical update" I think that crosses the line. Doing shit like this will inevitability result in one or more lawsuits.

And I dunno WTF Live Games is showing up as a critical update.

They only do this if you sign up for the optional Microsoft Update notifications, and even then they've always been optional for me.

I'm all for using an AV and keeping it up to date but when MS pushes it's Live essentials as a "critical update" I think that crosses the line. Doing shit like this will inevitability result in one or more lawsuits.

And I dunno WTF Live Games is showing up as a critical update.

what? A lawsuit? lmao. Give me a break. Besides they are not critical updates, just optional.

Critical updates are critical updates; optional software is NEVER offered as a critical update. I think when people know that Tuesday (once a month) is when Microsoft pushes the critical stuff they just lump anything that shows up on Windows Update on that day as "critical" when that's simply not the case.

Windows Live, MSE, none of that stuff is critical (hence it being shown on the list as Optional on both screens) and that's about it.

What's with MS trying to push "critical updates" which are stuff like Live Essentials, and Live Games 3.0? These aren't even critical updates...

Mine says "Optional" update for Live Essetials, not critical update as you mention. Must have read it too fast and assumed incorrectly

Important is for critical updates.

If you have the box checked that says Check for updates for Microsoft Software, then you get stuff like Live, GFWL, and Office updates. Some Office updates report as critical.

on my Win7 Ult x64 box at home, "Games for Windows Software v3.4" actually is being shown as an "Important" update. In the description box it says "Recommended Update"

So it's not critical, and I do have GFWL installed. I guess they just felt it fits better in "Important" rather than "Optional" since it is a patch/update for an installed application.

The worst is that these critical updates then force you to reboot your machine. That's ridiculous!

The worst is that these critical updates then force you to reboot your machine. That's ridiculous!

What are you, an uptime junkie or something? :)

Even Linux distros and OSX too require a reboot if the patches/updates dig deep enough into the internal workings of the OS. Shit happens...

</sarcasm_to_point_out_the_absurd_sarcasm_in_the_quoted_post> :D

it's only critical if you already have it installed and there's a security patch for it. Otherwise it's optional.

Mine says "Optional" update for Live Essetials, not critical update as you mention. Must have read it too fast and assumed incorrectly

One possibility is if that particular software is already installed and the update that was released is patching a critical vulnerability in that version. Then it would be listed as a critical update in windows update since the software is installed and you will have a critical vulnerability open until you patch it.

it's only critical if you already have it installed and there's a security patch for it. Otherwise it's optional.

Damn you and your fast typing :p

One possibility is if that particular software is already installed and the update that was released is patching a critical vulnerability in that version. Then it would be listed as a critical update in windows update since the software is installed and you will have a critical vulnerability open until you patch it.

Damn you and your fast typing :p

*blows fingertips*

;-)

If you don't opt into Microsoft Update, you don't get live, Zune and such. If you opt in, and don't have it installed, it's optional then.

If you have it installed, and there's a security patch, it's critical - and that is TOTALLY the correct behavior. If there's a security hole in software you installed, then any security update IS critical.

And lawsuit? What? You have to opt into Microsoft Update...

only shows up critical because i have it installed and it was an important update.. before I installed games for windows and security essentials, they were both listed as optional.... just like the others have mentioned..

op must have a critical misunderstanding of how MS updates work....

*patiently waits for OP to state that MS office is now showing up on the critical update list*

Back