Study: Beer Makes Men Smarter

And at a BAC level of .15 it was determined that men would impregnate the closest available slut 98% of the time....

Meh this is old news... when I was in college our programming professor advocated drinking before doing projects, made it clear your code will be buggy as hell the next day .. but you'll come up with solutions for things you would of bashed your head against for hours.

I find that going for a 5K run makes me more creative / alert.

3 pages in and no one has posted Cliff from Cheers???

Well ya see, Norm, it's like this. A herd of buffalo can only move as fast as the slowest buffalo. And when the herd is hunted, it is the slowest and weakest ones at the back that are killed first. This natural selection is good for the herd as a whole, because the general speed and health of the whole group keeps improving by the regular killing of the weakest members. In much the same way, the human brain can only operate as fast as the slowest brain cells. Excessive intake of alcohol, as we know, kills brain cells. But naturally, it attacks the slowest and weakest brain cells first. In this way, regular consumption of beer eliminates the weaker brain cells, making the brain a faster and more efficient machine. That's why you always feel smarter after a few beers.

Zarathustra[H];1038615839 said:
It's fine in moderation.

This is not moderation.

7-8 beers over the course of 13 hours is moderation. That's barely 1 beer every 2 hours...

7-8 beers over the course of 13 hours is moderation. That's barely 1 beer every 2 hours...
It won't get you drunk, but 7-8 beers over 24 hours isn't considered moderation. I think 2 beers, maybe 3 max, is considered moderation, over a 24-hour period.

It's not the absolute quantity that's the problem, it's how they are consumed.

I would argue that drinking 7-8 beers in a shorter period of time, is healthier long term than making beer drinking part of your daily habit, simply because you are making the mental distinction that it is "party time", and that is why you are drinking.

When you form an alcohol habit of drinking it all day - albeit in low quantities - you are on your way to alcoholism.

You're still even legal to drive at .07 so it's not THAT much.

There is no such thing as an absolute "legal to drive" limit.

The way the laws typically work (differs slightly from state to state" are as follows.

> 0.08 = Automatic DUI regardless

Erratic driving or swerving followed by testing positive for ANY ALCOHOL AT ALL REGARDLESS OF BLOOD LEVEL can result in charges as well.

What really stinks is that it could be completely unrelated to alcohol.

Scenario:
You had a couple of beers with dinner. Driving home you go to change the radio channel and swerve just a little bit - still within your lane. A cop sees you and decides to pull you over. Gives you a breathalyzer. You blow 0.01, well below the "legal limit". Guess what, you just got a DUI because you drove erratically and had any amount of alcohol in your blood.

From a legal perspective, there is no "safe" blood alcohol level, there is just an automatic DUI vs. a DUI only if you swerved or otherwise drove erratically.

from this standpoint I think I like the European 0.02 BAC limit better. it may be almost draconian in how low it is, but at least you can use a portable breathalyzer and know if you are breaking the law or not before driving.

With our stupid system here in the U.S, it's Russian roulette.

Zarathustra[H];1038616038 said:

Scenario:
You had a couple of beers with dinner. Driving home you go to change the radio channel and swerve just a little bit - still within your lane. A cop sees you and decides to pull you over. Gives you a breathalyzer. You blow 0.01, well below the "legal limit". Guess what, you just got a DUI because you drove erratically and had any amount of alcohol in your blood.

From a legal perspective, there is no "safe" blood alcohol level, there is just an automatic DUI vs. a DUI only if you swerved or otherwise drove erratically.

from this standpoint I think I like the European 0.02 BAC limit better. it may be almost draconian in how low it is, but at least you can use a portable breathalyzer and know if you are breaking the law or not before driving.

This +1

The only trouble i ever got in was when i was 19, i literally drank three beers (friend and i split a 6 pack) a couple hours prior. On my way home I was pulled over by a rookie in training who used the "your windows look a little too dark mind if I try out this machine on your window?" excuse....

There was a negligible reading .001 or so, but because I was under legal age it was an automatic DUI. Had absolutely nothing to do with my BAC or my driving. I was in no way shape or form harming anyone or putting anyone in danger. I was guilty of having tinted windows too dark for a new state law that had just gone into effect and was unlucky enough to be the one the rookie used to test out his new device.

What's even funnier about it all, is there was part of a joint under one of my seats that I did not know was there, and after being tossed in the holding cell the senior cop that he was training with came and got me and took me and the "score" to the toilet and watched it go down. I was told this never happened and taken back to the holding cell. :cool:

Zarathustra[H];1038615839 said:
It's fine in moderation.

"It's fine in moderation” is an expression that works best as an excuse, disguised as an explanation.

So this study proves that beer guts are expansion modules for our brains? That is so awesome!!! Must immediately join MENSA!!

"It's fine in moderation” is an expression that works best as an excuse, disguised as an explanation.

Then how about "It has been shown to be beneficial in moderation?"

Now, by no means am I suggesting anyone use this as an excuse to consume excessively but, small levels of consumption (<2/day for men, <1/day for women) have been shown to be healthful in multiple studies.

Drinking is very much a personal decision. I'm no advocate for it, nor a teetotaler. Your body, your health, your right - assuming you keep it so the only harm you can cause is to yourself.

Drinking is very much a personal decision. I'm no advocate for it, nor a teetotaler. Your body, your health, your right - assuming you keep it so the only harm you can cause is to yourself.

The only problem with the last part of that is assuming that any man (or woman) is an island. Hurting yourself does indeed cause harm to others. Ask the family or friends of anyone that's committed suicide. It may be your legal right to drink yourself to death, but I've seen the damage it can do to a family. Just because the law may permit something does not mean it is necessarily beneficial. I would prefer people to be wise about it, but how many people truly ever learn from their mistakes?

We went from discussing 2 pints of beer to drinking yourself to death. That reminds me to pick up a box of soap after work.

Zarathustra[H];1038616038 said:
There is no such thing as an absolute "legal to drive" limit.

The way the laws typically work (differs slightly from state to state" are as follows.

> 0.08 = Automatic DUI regardless

Erratic driving or swerving followed by testing positive for ANY ALCOHOL AT ALL REGARDLESS OF BLOOD LEVEL can result in charges as well.

Scenario:

Interesting, I didn't know you could still be charged with DUI for being under 0.08. :eek: In your example, even something less of a distraction than changing a radio station can make one swerve. Around this time of the year, allergies can be a real PITA for me. Sometimes I get a surprise sneeze that I can't prepare for that would cause me to swerve just a little (but be within my lanes). Now I'll be paranoid if this happens after I've had a beer or 2 with dinner when out with friends. :eek: :(

If alcohol is poison, then I'm looking forward to poisoning my body tonight. :cool:

25 days without drinking... aaand is about fucking time! im freeing myself from my self imposed obligation! thank you D4rkn3ss! im all fucking healthy!

HHHHmmmmnn Yaaawn! maybe today, maybe tomorrow...

soonhorsewindow.jpg

Speak for yourself there big guy. Magic Hat #9 is like heaven in a bottle.

never tried, for me in general it taste like some cereal watery granola thing with a little amount of alcohol, good for girls i guess but i respect the personal taste of a fellow drinker.

Speak for yourself there big guy. Magic Hat #9 is like heaven in a bottle.

I just had that yesterday, along with a Fireman's 4 and a couple other drafts. Good stuff ... and it made me smarter. :cool:

The only problem with the last part of that is assuming that any man (or woman) is an island. Hurting yourself does indeed cause harm to others. Ask the family or friends of anyone that's committed suicide. It may be your legal right to drink yourself to death, but I've seen the damage it can do to a family. Just because the law may permit something does not mean it is necessarily beneficial. I would prefer people to be wise about it, but how many people truly ever learn from their mistakes?

We live in world that includes motorcycles and snack cakes. This argument is a little silly, why is alcohol special when there a hundreds of ways to hurt yourself and your family? I just don't see much difference between eating Little Debbies as fast as you can shove them in your face, killing yourself with diabetes, pancreatitis, and non-alcoholic fatty liver disease; from drinking. (This might actually be a fun study, compare spending caused by alcohol and related damage: health care, criminal, property damage, etc.; with spending caused by overeating: mostly health care and counseling I'm guessing.)

You heard this before, ad nauseum, but it truly is all about moderation - I rarely eat desserts, I take good care of my bike, and on those occasions when I drink I keep it under control. (I'm vain, what can I say? I just don't need all the empty calories.)

I, who work out and eat my vegetables, have actually been in discussion with fat-ass, (read:morbidly obese) Mormon, (read: preachy, evangelical) teetotalers about how I'm killing myself by having a couple of beers while they pour gallons of soda down their gullet. (The metabolism of high-fructose corn syrup in the liver is an interesting study... It's byproducts are not that far removed from those produced by the metabolism of ethanol and cause much of the same damage.)

Enh, if the booze doesn't get me, the motorcycles, helicopters, whitewater or one of the many, many redheads will... right?

If alcohol is poison, then I'm looking forward to poisoning my body tonight. :cool:

Thread necro +1 ;)

and beer taste like piss.

never tried, for me in general it taste like some cereal watery granola thing with a little amount of alcohol, good for girls i guess but i respect the personal taste of a fellow drinker.

You're drinking the wrong beer.

aw cmon, ok i take it back, it DOESNT taste like piss but i still consider it more like food than a proper drink.

So true... Stuck for few hours with some coding problem, go to shower and bang, the solution pops out of nowhere :D.

Combine both for maximum effect.

You may also find yourself yelling, "This is my house, you're goddamn right I'll drink beer in the shower if I want to."

That second part may just be something I do.

Back