Student Uses Controller To Catch Console Thief

HardOCP News

[H] News
What do you do when someone breaks into your dorm room and steals your console? Use the wireless controller to track it down, that's what. You gotta give props to this kids for some pretty damn good legwork on this one.

The controller connected to the Xbox on the fourth, fifth and sixth floors of Hutchens but not on the third floor and seventh floor, so through process of elimination, Ketsenburg said he figured out that the stolen Xbox must be on the fifth floor. Following the controller's signal, Ketsenburg said he was able to pinpoint the room where his Xbox was stolen. When looking for his Xbox, Ketsenburg said the light-emitting diodes of the controller flashed when he was out of range.

Good show and I would of gotten away with it if it wasn't for those meddling kids!

Grats on being crafty and getting your shit back! Kind of funny that the guy just stole it so he could use it vs. stealing it for drugs :p

That's awesome, good for him. Will be sure to try this if my Xbox disappears in my apartment complex.

That's awesome, good for him. Will be sure to try this if my Xbox disappears in my apartment complex.

You might want to secure your place a little better if that is that much of a concern for you that you have to make plans now on how to try to find your stolen stuff in the future.

If your going to be a dumbass and steal someone's X-BOX, don't be so much of a dumbass that you forget to steal ALL the controllers.

If I were the RA, I would have told the kid to get his XBOX and take whatever else he wanted from the thief's room.

If your going to be a dumbass and steal someone's X-BOX, don't be so much of a dumbass that you forget to steal ALL the controllers.

If I were the RA, I would have told the kid to get his XBOX and take whatever else he wanted from the thief's room.

I'm pretty sure when wondering around a dark room in the middle of the night as to not waking the two sleeping people in it its hard to tell if the person only has 2 controllers or if they have 4 when you only see 2 sitting next to the device.

You might want to secure your place a little better if that is that much of a concern for you that you have to make plans now on how to try to find your stolen stuff in the future.

It was that much of a concern for me to devote a sentence to it, but not much more. But shit happens. A few times I scared myself thinking I might have forgotten to lock my door when leaving for work.. but every time I come home to find it locked. Changing the locks on my bedroom door at least. The one that came with the apartment is one of those cheapo push pin locks.

Sounds like a good idea to me:

Move into a dorm.
Find some a-hole with an Xbox.
Buy an Xbox of your own and show it off so everyone knows you have one.
Wait for the other guy to be about to leave for a day or two then sneak into his room and swap your controllers and hard drive for his.
Return your Xbox to the store and report it stolen the next day.
Wander the halls with your controller narrowing in on the "thief".
Tell the RA which room you think the Xbox is in and prove it is yours with a controller that clearly controls the xbox in that room.
Get on the news because of your unique technique for finding the "stolen" Xbox.
Profit.

Is the Xbox 360 controller coded to work only on a uniqe machine? I thought any controller would work with any box.

you sync it to work on the specific machine thing about it, what if there are two xbox360s in the house?

Is the Xbox 360 controller coded to work only on a uniqe machine? I thought any controller would work with any box.

They were wrong.

You can connect any 360 controller to any 360 system in range. All's ya got to do is sync it to the system by the button on the front of the machine.

Like buy guns and set up boobie traps? I honestly want to know wtf you are possibly trying to tell him to do, besides lock the door and hope no one breaks in. Which is all you can do.

Like buy guns and set up boobie traps? I honestly want to know wtf you are possibly trying to tell him to do, besides lock the door and hope no one breaks in. Which is all you can do.

:D

I've setup boobie traps for my roommate, I can try to come up with something a bit more lethal. ;)

He should have had the NSA surveillance his place.

He got whats coming to him

LMAO. :D:p

or he could have asked the Wylie coyote for help on setting up booby traps. Those traps always seem to work in favor of the coyote lolz

u gotta do what i do.. write down the serial number, then write down the LAN mac address... if they want proof that should be good enough... espcially if the dumbass hooks it up to the net...

Back