"Stuck" pixels on image sensor?

scottmso

Limp Gawd
I have a Digital Rebel XT that I have only had since September or so and it's been great. However, on some of the dark photos I take, I see two tiny red dots (which appear to be a little larger than one pixel but I could be wrong.) Are these "stuck" pixels on the sensor, or could it just be pieces of debris on the sensor? If it is a sensor defect would Canon likely cover it under warranty? thanks!

Yes, camera sensors can have a problem called hot pixels, which results in some overly bright pixels in your photos. They are most common if you shoot at high ISOs or shoot long exposures.

You'll probably have them with most digital cameras, and I don't think they are covered under warranty unless a lot of the sensor is subject to this.

Sounds like you have a few hot pixels. Sensor dust shows up as dark blobs that become more visible and sharper at small apertures.

If you shoot RAW, a lot of converters will remove them automatically. If not, the clone tool in Photoshop works pretty well

My Old Canon G1 had this happen to it after I had warranty work done to it. Decided to get a new camera... It never had problems until I sent it in for warranty and forked out like $150. It wasen't worth getting the work done to fix it, and it seems they fixed one problem but created another, so maybe time for a new camera. This was a while back though before there were affordable SLRs. I got teh G1 over otehr cameras for it's at the time amazing night shots...I was pretty disappointed.

Pretty much all DSLR's do that in low light when taking long exposure pictures. Even higher end $2000 DSLR's do it. It's from the image sensor getting hot due to taking the long exposure pictures, versus the pixel drain/leakage rate. Just edit them out in photoshop. Other than that, clean your image sensor gently.

Actually, here's a program that will take out the hot pixels for you..
http://www.mediachance.com/digicam/hotpixels.htm

Back