Striker Extreme Voltage Advice

Vcore lock is where you set the Vcore in the BIOS to be a certain value, but the Vcore is stays at another value, no matter how high you set the Vcore in the BIOS. It is sort of like hitting a ceiling for that voltage. I believe in this case, it's affecting high overclocks on this board.. It's an error in the BIOS, and nothing you have to worry about, it would seem, unless you are planning on doing some serious overclocking..

..and you're right Domenick, it is rubbish running 800Mhz RAM at 667Mhz. You shouldn't have to do it.

It sounds like 0901 might be that magical BIOS everyone has been waiting for.. :cool: *fingers crossed*

I just got a second pair of Corsair 6400C4 for my machine, and after putting them in, my machine would start to boot. I'm using BIOS 0802, which I suspect is my problem, but I currently don't have a way to the BIOS - EZ Flash doesn't see my flash stick (old 256 MB miniCruzer) and I'm not touching WinFlash with a 10' pole (even if it would work under Vista). I'm going to try some other timings and voltages posted here, but does anyone have any other ideas?

Can't you use EZ-Flash and a CD-R?

That's what I always do on ASUS boards, however I haven't tried it with a Striker. I only got mine today. I've got a BIOS update to do as well but I won't get a chance to work on it until tomorrow.

If you haven't found a solution by then, I'll confirm that it works and let you know.

ArrowMk84, the more I hear about problems using the 6400C4 and PRO, the more I suspect this ram is not compatible in a 4GB config! I am still waiting to hear about my RAM if it will work with the striker or if I have to go and get some OCZ or something.

Can't you use EZ-Flash and a CD-R?

That's what I always do on ASUS boards, however I haven't tried it with a Striker. I only got mine today. I've got a BIOS update to do as well but I won't get a chance to work on it until tomorrow.

If you haven't found a solution by then, I'll confirm that it works and let you know.

I forgot it can do CD-Rs. However, it doesn't want to work with my media (it could be how Vista burns the disk - I'll try with an XP burn in the morning).

@Domenick - I'm starting to fear that's the case, as well. A quick glance on the Asus forums has a post from a guy with 4 1GB pro sticks that won't work, but 4 cheap Kingstons do. And it looks like he's verified the sticks are all good.

I love the fact that the BIOS issues seem to have been sorted and I got my board today! Dreams can come true...

Ok, I got it flashed! I had to burn the disc from XP, it doesn't seem to like Vista's format.

that Vcore streap I talked about is eg when you set the CPU FSB to 400Mhz ( so 1600 in bios) you could not alter the voltage to give to the CPU core, it was stuck at 1.39, my n6600 needs 1.41 to be stabel at 3600mhz , so I could not get it enough juice to run smooth.1002 bios allows again alteration of CPU voltages...

I cannot run 1066 due to the fact I have one 6400 kit and one 8500 kit, I have run both in 4gb at 800Mhz speeds without an issue with the timings of the slowest ram ( this case the 6400 5-5-5-15 ) and 2T command rate !!! See post above, it worked flawless... with 0901 bios

1002 definitely improved the voltage situation - there's within 5% of what I set them too, instead of my 1.3625 Vcore being 1.41.

As for using four sticks of Corsair 6400C4, its still a no go. Now, I will say the situation is slightly improved - my board will now POST, but fails to load Windows. Before, it would hang on POST. And the two new sticks do appear to be good - so far 13+ passes in Memtest without error at DDR2-800 4-4-4-12-2T @ 2.1v. I might give Redbeard a PM later to see if Corsair has any idea when Asus will have the problem fixed.

1002 definitely improved the voltage situation - there's within 5% of what I set them too, instead of my 1.3625 Vcore being 1.41.

As for using four sticks of Corsair 6400C4, its still a no go. Now, I will say the situation is slightly improved - my board will now POST, but fails to load Windows. Before, it would hang on POST. And the two new sticks do appear to be good - so far 13+ passes in Memtest without error at DDR2-800 4-4-4-12-2T @ 2.1v. I might give Redbeard a PM later to see if Corsair has any idea when Asus will have the problem fixed.

I also have 4 x 1GB Corsair 6400C4 and can't get them to work with the Striker. Similar problems to ArrowMk84 with it posting but not loading Windows. At the moment I'm trying to find out what memory/configuration will actually work with 4GB in the Striker. But it's a question that no one can really answer.

I have 4GB of 6400C3D Dominator Modules, that I am currently testing..

2GB worked fantastic, but 4GB, I'm also having problems with.. I'm testing a bunch of different settings at the moment and I'll let you guys know how I go. I know they're not exactly the same modules, but it might give an indication of settings that WILL work if I do get them going.

Gentlemen, I am so glad more people are coming out of the woodwork that are having 4GB issues and it's not just me!!!

So it looks like Corsair's website is to blame, that is where it claims that the 6400C4 PRO is compatible in 4gb configs so I think I will be trying to get my money back for the RAM. The problem is WHAT RAM WILL RUN IN A 4GB CONFIG??? My motherboard supplier is testing OCZ for me, hopefully we can get stable 4GB @ 800Mhz if not 1066.

Like I said, I am glad we are making progress though, even though the RAM is not faulty at least we will know now there are issues with the compatibility not the motherboard.

So my next question is, if my RAM distributor says it's Asus's fault, do I have a right to return the ram for a full refund. Technically it's only supported on Corsair's site, unless you count the fact that it says 6400C4 is supported on the ASUS site QVL. My only concern is I bought this ram and the motherboard from two different suppliers, putting my in a tight spot. If I were to guess right now though I would say the RAM should be taken back as it's not compatible and Corsair's website claims it is.

Any recommendations as to what I am able to do???

One guy on the Asus forums got 4GB of Kingston to work.

The problem really isn't Corsair's. The memory works; all four of my sticks are good and working perfectly. The problem is with the motherboard, since you can run in the memory in two slots (demonstrating that the RAM is compatible) but not with all slots full. Furthermore, I've found that trying run in slots A2 and B2 without anything in A1 and B1 causes problems. I don't think the motherboard itself is defective (because I know at least person can run 4x1GB), but I think the BIOS is screwed up. I'm hoping the next BIOS fixes the problem, otherwise I might just jump to the EVGA 680i or go back to my P5W DH and sell a GTX.

So many BIOS rev's :) Your a patient man waiting though, shame the 1002 didnt fix our issues! This 4GB thing is a real pain in the bum, I can't render my complex 3D scenes with just 2GB so it's got me going crazy! Although I dont know who Redbeard is, it would be cool if you can let us know if Corsair is coming up with a solution any time soon!!! :)

BTW can you set everything to AUTO now on 1002 and have the board detect your memory stright up ArrowMk84? Do you still need to specify timings and voltage? Are you running your C4's on 2.1v as I said I had to run the PRO's @ 2.3!

Thanks!!!

So many BIOS rev's :) Your a patient man waiting though, shame the 1002 didnt fix our issues! This 4GB thing is a real pain in the bum, I can't render my complex 3D scenes with just 2GB so it's got me going crazy! Although I dont know who Redbeard is, it would be cool if you can let us know if Corsair is coming up with a solution any time soon!!! :)

BTW can you set everything to AUTO now on 1002 and have the board detect your memory stright up ArrowMk84? Do you still need to specify timings and voltage? Are you running your C4's on 2.1v as I said I had to run the PRO's @ 2.3!

Thanks!!!

:) My patience has limits, which were almost reached when I had to wait month after getting my second GTX for 0802 to come out so I could use SLI without my X-Fi trying to blow up my speakers.

Redbeard is a Corsair rep that posts on this forum - he seems to say in the memory section. Hopefully I'll get a response to the PM I sent him on Monday.

On auto, the board gets the JEDEC timings right (5-5-5-18), I still have to enter in the EPP timings manually. And it doesn't auto-detect the voltage (and I don't think I've ever seen a BIOS do that). But 2.1v works for both pairs of my sticks; but the new sticks have trouble with 2.15, which is out of spec, but the old pair can take it.

If you're sticks need 2.3, you might want to check what the hardware monitor reports, and see if it agrees with the setting.

Edit: Here's a link to a topic on the Asus forum about this issue. Too bad its just users, and Asus tech support doesn't reply to anything posted there... Also, the 4x1GB Kingston info is in another thread that I can't seem to find right now.

Sorry ArrowMk84, but what's the go with SLI-Memory settings and 'Expert'.

Should I be using these or setting the timings manually? I have no idea, someone said something about using the EXPERT setting only if you don't manually set timings. I read your link too, very interesting, the guy has the exact same issue :) Thanks for that :)

Hopefully you will get a PM from your mate at Corsair! Perhaps you can mention the 2.3v issue with him too if you get a chance? Seems odd to run recommended 2.1v at 2.3v.

I think whatever way I go I need to buy 1.8v ram to boot up on if I ever have any issues or crashes. Thanks again!

I always set the timings manually, but that's just habit for me. If "Expert" works, then I don't see any reason not to use it.

alright I really appreciate the positivity by my fellow Striker owners. I am happy that they also have elected to be the next guinea pigs. BUT it would seem that there is all this glee and celebration for this seemingly magical bios 1002.

I have been waiting now for it to replace 901 on the Asus site. NOPE they will not replace it
why not?

I have yet to read any decent accurate DEFINITE evidence that I can stick this board in my case with :
Intel E6700
2x EVGA 8800 gtx SLI and I repeat "SLI"
XFI extreme game version Fatali1ty
3 x Raptor X 150s in RAID 0 "striped array"

and OC to at least 3.6ghz and get the performance at least equal to what I am getting with the BFG.

Face it people the performance should be better than a reference design or whats the point.

The Asus forum is pathetic. Its a bunch of meandering and unintelligible posts leading one to again wonder what the hell to do.

You have to admit it is incredible that in bios release 901 there is seemingly a book of fixes. It is hard to believe that they need to do more work.

So I sit and wait again. Now I am finding almost NO conversation on the subject and many are using the 1002 and settling but still finding flaws.

I wont be able to hit 3.6ghz stable with my E6700 and my 4 gig Corsair Dominates 8500s from what I am reading. Is this correct?

In my sig it says I am hitting over 3.6 ghz. My FSB is 1455 on this board unlinked. If I had REAL Vista SLI drivers this computer would be smoking.

I cant believe I preordered Supreme Commander, got a cd and cool 3d postcard and they put an Active X control on the CD and Vista wont even read the damn thing.

I am really sick to the vomiting stage at the incompetence and lack of QA from so many in software, driver and hardware development right now.

It too much but back on topic. PLEASE tell me why isnt bios 1002 released yet?

Jeez Crash....I'm beginning to think you need to find a new, less stressful hobby. It's to the point that I have great pity for you. This seems to bother you too much.

Don't forget, that what we are trying to achieve is EXTRA performance. Overclocking is NEVER guarenteed and we are pushing hardware to the extreme. Not to mention, you are using AIR cooling and 4 GIGS OF MEMORY, which I have stated before will severely impact your overclocking abilities. It's only just became standard for us to be able to use 2 gigs of system memory to achieve these amazing overclocks.

Also, you should spend more time on the Xtremesystems forums and hang out in the Striker threads over there. Most are achieving what you desire with ease, which is where I found many of the tweakable settings I'm using. My system is running 3.6Ghz on water 24/7. In fact, when I just reinstalled XP now I didn't even turn the OC off. It's stable as can be and is not corrupting my boot sectors, MBR, or anything.

And I'll say it again: If these companies are so incompetent they I think it's high time you get out there and SHOW THEM HOW THEY SHOULD DO IT!!! :p:p:p:p

Hi Crashman. I believe the reason may be that the 1002 BIOS isn't official yet, just a beta in testing. I know they usually put beta's up but it was the same with BIOS 901, I had it about 3-4 days before it was posted on the website thanks to the guys on this forum thread :) Maybe they are now only uploading the official's after the 803 disaster, luckily that one didn't crash my board so I could get 901 installed.

Anyways, you can download 1002 in this thread I believe thanks to leeghoofd.

I share your frustration though, all of us do. From what I have read the 1002 BIOS wont fix my Corsair 6400C4 PRO memory issues in a 4GB config. Asus are getting some of the OTHER bugs ironed out I believe, I just wish they would hurry it ALL up!

All I can hope is that I don't have to pay $1050 AUD for my RAM if it doesn't work in 1002, no doubt my RAM distributor won't give me a refund if I ask because it's "the motherboard's fault". Then my motherboard distributor will say "It's Corsair's fault"... maybe. Where does that leave me, the consumer, I'll let you know soon. Hopefully not up chocolate creek without a pop stickle stick. :rolleyes:

Crash, the 1002 bios has been available on the ASUS ftp server for a few days now.

Linky.

They seem to release it on their ftp long before it makes it to the downloads section. If you check in the ASUS forums there quite a few threads on the 1002 bios so have a read in there.

have you guys tried to post this on the Corsair forum ? Ram guy is normally really quick in responding and also has some good bios options ( at least in my p4C800 days)

But for the dominator 4gig users, when you only use 2 gigs they run fine ? or do they run fine with 4 gigs installed but no overclock ?

I'll start a post there plz follow up at the current link.

http://www.houseofhelp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=283676#post283676

I have tried 4gig of OCZ memory , albeit 2 different pairs one pair of OCZ 8500 SLI certified bundled with one pair of 6400 Ops special edition. I put manual timings to the 2700mhz worked fine aswell at least for a few hours of Orthos, this was with 0901 bios , I can try again with 1002 bios as I stil have the Ops rams...

Damn shame with these new Dominators , as I want to go that way too, I'll hold off a bit longer.... seems a general 680i chipset as I read some users are having probs too with ABIT Beast with these modules :(

Also I don't see why a non reference board should be faster than a reference board, it's layout is just different ( maybe other PWms, caps,...) and cooling changed nothing more nothing less... the chipset and bios bundled determine the overal speed you get...

dom.JPG

Good luck guys

Crash - as Arrow said: 1002 HAS BEEN released. You just gotta know where to look to find it. It is in fact on ASUS's FTP download site, so they obviously do want us to have it.

Leeghoofd - I have 4x1GB 6400C3D Ram modules. 2GB worked like a charm. I then installed windows and the motherboard drivers before I tried installing the other 2 GB. The computer booted fine, then got to Windows and I got a BSOD.

I will say at this point in time, that the 2GB was on AUTO settings and voltage was 1.9V when these modules are rated at 2.4V. I didn't get a chance to test the 4GB with higher voltages or custom timings, I'll have that chance tomorrow morning (Australian time - in about 12 hours) so I'll let you know how it goes. I'm pretty confident I'll be able to get these modules working.. I've got a good feeling abou tit. :D

Hey thanks very much for the info. Yea I saw the ftp link after leeghoofd posted it.
You all know I am VERY skiddish so I am content to wait. I just keep getting some kinda
confusing info on Memory compatibility. You know I have 4 gig of Corsair Dominator 1066 sticks and they were expensive. I dont want to pull a pair out. I dont think I should have to. Actually if I am not mistaken bios 402 and 505 actually let me use up to 3.25 gig in 32bit XP so it must be able to be done again right?

I mean Asus should be able to release a bios as good as 402 with the over clocking features we all want. I am praying just like everyone but I would rather just wait.

Granted I am appreciative that they are moving fast. I hope this is a good sign. I am sure it is very difficult work. I always have wondered why cant the USA develop some decent boards. Its damn sad.

Thanks again everybody. I might put the board back in next month.

well it seems strange , in all the posts about 680i and Dominator ram he refers to the PSU ? I think most of us wil have decent 600 watters by now.

I will try to test with the OCZ this afternoon to see how high I can clock them... Also Kunaak on extreme had some weird issue with Corsairs saying that they love less voltage then advertised round 2 volt mark. Have you all tried working ya way up with small increments ? in voltage and speed I mean starting off at 667mhz memory speed ? does it get into windows then with 4gigs ? It reminds me of the Corasir C2 ramI had wioth my Abit mobo , worked fine on the Intel not on the Nforce3 till half a year later and numerous bios updates. Had to run those way below spec to get the sytem stable...

Hope we can work something out and eagerly awaiting ramguy's response....

The PSU would be the last thing I would suspect, but hey i'm no RAM expert he he he.

I tried 2.1 up the only time it would boot is at 2.25 but it wasnt very stable. 2.275 was ok but 2.3 was most stable. I tried 667 which as I said booted a few times but then I tried again with no settings changed and no boot. Bizarre BIOS indeed! Anyway, hopefully the boys and girls over at Asus are working on the whole SUCKY Corsair issues! BTW has anyone tried the two top corsair solutions in 4GB if anyone can afford it? The 9136 or 10000 in 4GB I am referring to :) I wonder if they would be stable at their rated speeds.

What I find difficult to swallow is the fact that supposedly Nvidia and Corsair were the two companies that developed EPP together, and yet Corsair seems to be the most incompatible RAM to use with this chipset (from what I am hearing).

The question in my mind is whether the headaches associated with getting these modules working is worth it? Is the performance / overclocking / heatspreaders (and included fans) of these modules really better if you can get them working?

I agree, my conundrum is that the ram is not faulty, the motherboard is not faulty, they are just both incompatible with each other even though they claim they work fine together on Corsair's site. Where does this leave me as I bought the components from separate shops???

I have no idea, hope I can do something to get my moolah $$$ back so I can buy some RAM that actually works in 4GB config :( I am yet also to work out what brand that is :)

I agree, my conundrum is that the ram is not faulty, the motherboard is not faulty, they are just both incompatible with each other even though they claim they work fine together on Corsair's site. Where does this leave me as I bought the components from separate shops???

I have no idea, hope I can do something to get my moolah $$$ back so I can buy some RAM that actually works in 4GB config :( I am yet also to work out what brand that is :)

Heh, it'd probably be cheaper to get another motherboard. I'm pretty sure that the EVGA and BFG 680i boards work with 4GB of Corsair. Those boards followed Nvidia's reference design, which one would think took EPP and Corsair into serious consideration during the design phase. I'm putting blame for this squarely on Asus. It took them over a month to implement Nvidia's SLI/X-Fi fix, and now its taken them a while to get all the memory compatibility fix.

As far as the PSU goes, I know its not causing my problem (I have the test report for my PSU, and its nice and clean!). I could seeing it being a power regulation issue on the motherboard, and that probably leads back to the BIOS.

I haven't tried undervolting. I know my sticks are flaky at 1.8v, and the new pair won't work above 2.15v, so I've got that range to play with. But is doing that really worth my time right now...

Well some posts also appearing on EVGA webbie and hardwareluxx all goes wrong with 4gigs, I rather think it's nvidia/corsair each pair works great , just adding the 2nd pair then it all goes wrong... I wanna see what happens when they release fast specced 2gig dimms.
Maybe it's better that all Corsair users go on Corsair forum , maybe they can push the bios/SPD engineers to get it going...

Nvidia 680i is really buggy and shouldn't have been released due to the launch of the 8800 series , they had better kept it in the development lab and ironed the last few quirks out...

I have seen Crucial 667Mhz 2GB single DIMM modules before, but only once.. and they were about $500.00 USD each or some ridiculous price. I can't remember exactly, but they weren't cheap..

Hi all,

i'm going to test the 1002 bios in my system now and see what i can get out of my system, i have a question though, or really a kinda want for more information...

i hear some of you are using custom timings for your ram other than the main 5?
if you are one of these people that have all their (or most of) ram timings set manually, could you please list all your timings for me so i can cross reference with my own?

thanks.

Hi guys...
I know this might be a little too early to tell but I've been running Prime95 on all 4 cores for an hour now; no errors:

4 x 1GB Corsair Dominator 6400C3DF at 3-4-3-9-2T, 400Mhz (800Mhz) at 2.275V.

These Dimms are rated at 2.4V so I'm hoping I might be able to push their speed and subsequent voltage if I get the chance..

I'm running BIOS 1002, Windows XP 32Bit for those interested.

One thing I should mention guys - I've noticed that either the BIOS is overvolting this RAM or PC Probe is reporting it incorrectly. I've set the voltage to 2.275 for my RAM and PC Probe is reporting the VDIMM at 2.34V.

Thought it might help..

Hi guys...
I know this might be a little too early to tell but I've been running Prime95 on all 4 cores for an hour now; no errors:

4 x 1GB Corsair Dominator 6400C3DF at 3-4-3-9-2T, 400Mhz (800Mhz) at 2.275V.

These Dimms are rated at 2.4V so I'm hoping I might be able to push their speed and subsequent voltage if I get the chance..

I'm running BIOS 1002, Windows XP 32Bit for those interested.

Ok, you've got my interest. So it might just be a voltage issue (or it could be that the C3DF uses different ICs than the C4, which would be a compatibility issue). Let us know how it turns out.

Also, Redbeard sent me back a PM. Corsair and Asus are working on the problem; right now there doing testing to identify the problem.

Back