Streaming PC Specs? (Dual PC Setup)

LucasG

Gawd
I'm looking to get into streaming as a hobby/not-so-hobby and would like some suggestions from the gurus here. I know most people here might not stream but I guess with the technical aspects we can figure out what's the best.

Currently I have my gaming rig in my signature, this is what I use to play and will be using for editing videos for content. From what I have researched I will be using the Elgato HD60 Pro (already bought) installed on my 2nd PC. I already have a new case which I unfortunately broke the tempered glass (will make a new cover for that) and will be used for this build. I was reading that people recommend encoding with software encoder (x264) which uses CPU rather than hardware encoder (NVIDIA NvEnc) which offloads some processing to the GPU. With that in mind I was thinking on going some relatively cheap but I feel like could be decent for a while.

Mobo: ASUS PRIME X570-P (CR store: extremetechcr.com)
CPU: AMD RYZEN 3 3200G (CR store: extremetechcr.com)
RAM: G.SKILL RIPJAWS V 8 GB DDR4 3200 (CR store: extremetechcr.com)
PSU: SEASONIC CORE GM-500 GOLD - SEMI-MODULAR (CR store: extremetechcr.com)

And has space to add a video card with RTX NVENC to encode with that in the future as it seems (as in mentioned in the video below) to be much nicer than CPU encoding, although with this Ryzen 3 3200G it should be good enough for a while.

References:

Last edited:
My 2c are if you do plan on getting a gpu to do your encoding the 3200g is kind of a waste, I would suggest a lower cost 2600 or 1600AF (newer zen cores) assuming you can source them locally. Main reason is you decide to encode with cpu you get 6c12t, vs 4c4t with the 3200g and most of the cost on that is the APU. If you do plan on a cpu without a gpu I think the quicksync stuff on Intel cpus is way faster than what you could get out of the AMD APU. Also small note on the x570 chipset, unless you need pcie 4.0, you can get a bigger bang for buck from a b450 board.

I don't think I will be adding a video card anytime soon, but I was thinking it was a good idea to have the possibility of adding one with the mobo. The other thing I do need is a lot of PCIe x1 or x2 for PCIe Capture Cards. Right now I have one but I could be adding more. This X570-P has 1 x16 and 3 x1. There's also a 4 input capture card on Amazon but it goes up to $899 (I might consider it in the future for some professional video recording).

If I was you and you are deadset on going ryzen I would get the AMD 3300x and go for the cheapest Nvidia card with the newest NVENC encoder. The performance is really great vs using your CPU to encode in h.264

Back