Stream My Game

ARom

Limp Gawd
Has anyone tried "Stream My Game"? http://www.streammygame.com/smg/index.php

I'm thinking of building a cheap game/media/movie server.

1. Gaming Desktop(server) in living room for non FPS & RTS Titles (real time)
2. Laptop (WSXGA+, Core 2 Duo, 4GB) - Stream My Game for FPS & RTS Titles.

examples:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vyb0Wg1mthM - Crysis
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MvenUZ5HKTs - DX.10
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=28ENtjw_zsY - Grid

PC to PC: http://www.youtube.com/user/StreamMyGame#p/u/26/Eov6diDtQbQ

Thoughts?

From the videos I've seen, the the Monitor and the Laptop display the same picture.

I guess online gaming is the concern you're talking about?

I don't see much lag (latency problems): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eov6diDtQbQ

watch between 5:12 and 5:24 in that video and you'll see what i mean.

the displays are "not quite" synced up when he moves the mouse quickly when he gets out of the water in crysis..

it'll feel like a slugish input on fast moving games.. its only a fraction of a second but it'd be a enough to drive me crazy.

I guess the only thing is left is for me to try it out and let you know how it goes. From what I'm reading the Streaming is done on a home network and not the internet. It doesn't seem "too" complicated it's displaying the video and audio over the homeNetworkInterweb!

watch between 5:12 and 5:24 in that video and you'll see what i mean.

the displays are "not quite" synced up when he moves the mouse quickly when he gets out of the water in crysis..

it'll feel like a slugish input on fast moving games.. its only a fraction of a second but it'd be a enough to drive me crazy.

It looks like the game saves between that time, but I don't think it would be smooth gameplay either.

Despite things like this, people still think OnLive is make believe. A simple protocol that streams the data, it can and will work over the cloud.

It looks like the game saves between that time, but I don't think it would be smooth gameplay either.

even if it saves, the exact same thing should be on the computer screen as on the laptop. all that is happening is its encoding the game into some sortof "video" or data stream and sending it to the client. that is sortof what i was pointing out that as long as its not exactly the same on the computer as on the client display there will be a sense of input lag.

ARom definately let us know how it works. i'd seriously look at some side by side comparisons, so far that video you posted is the only side by side i have seen.

in the end though, if you are happy with the results that is all that matters.

ie.. the best test i can think of off the top of my head would be to try and play on the server with the input of the client.(sit in front of hte server's monitor and play with the clients keyboard/mouse)

ie.. the best test i can think of off the top of my head would be to try and play on the server with the input of the client.(sit in front of hte server's monitor and play with the clients keyboard/mouse)

That is a fantastic idea.

I will do a review @ Notebook Review & Laptop Discussion. I will PM you :)

Despite things like this, people still think OnLive is make believe. A simple protocol that streams the data, it can and will work over the cloud.

I know this has been beaten to death and we really don't need to get into it again but there's a HUGE difference between something like this running on an internal network and across the internet. In no way does this prove the viability of cloud gaming.

just streamed a perfect, high detail, ~40fps 1024x768 world in conflict session from a X2-5600+/8800GT to a 1.7Ghz fujitsu lifebook ultraportable with Radeon Mobility U1 (Basically a radeon 7500 with no hardware texture and lighting) over 802.11G. No discernible lag. Game looked and played beaaautiful. My friend shat a brick seeing his crappy old laptop running ubuntu that could barely run battlefield 1942 playing World in Conflict as good as his fancy gaming PC.
Then I showed him the PC. His words: "*explicative* *explicative* *explicative* that's cool!"

Don't have a PS3 to test, but I'm sure it would do fine, as this is only high-res variable-framerate MPEG4 with the controls tunneled over a SSH backlink.

Modern nvidias and ATIs seem like they can encode this in hardware somehow. I can see no slowdown on the X2 between it running and not running.
best feedback I've read on the issue. (internal network though)

I've tried this (or a service like it) last year, just to see how it worked and it was awful.

Granted, I was running it on a DSL connection. I ran it on my signature rig and streamed it to my netbook and it was less than impressive. The video quality sucked and it lagged like a SOB

this could of been because of my internet connection (3mb) or possibly because of the low processing power of the atom chips.

i'd be interested in a long term play on it, even looking at that video you can see the latency (goto 5:37 and look at the time lag when the text loads on teh screen).

for certain games would actually not be very noticable, RTS are a perfect example were a quarter or half a second lag wouldn't really do much of anything in terms of playability.. RPGs are another great example where that kindof input lag wouldn't really be noticable.

i'm curious enough i may have to try it this weekend just to put it through some paces.

I used the free version before on my old computer just to see how it works..

the quality is..... BAD..

aside from the input lag, which sometime its 1-2 sec delay, 0.5 sec the lowest..

the picture is completely off the chart IMO.

it feels like watching boxes texture all over the screen..

I've tried this (or a service like it) last year, just to see how it worked and it was awful.

Granted, I was running it on a DSL connection. I ran it on my signature rig and streamed it to my netbook and it was less than impressive. The video quality sucked and it lagged like a SOB

this could of been because of my internet connection (3mb) or possibly because of the low processing power of the atom chips.

I don't think the atom meets the minimum requirements. Also, it is not recommended you try this over the Internet.

I used the free version before on my old computer just to see how it works..

the quality is..... BAD..

aside from the input lag, which sometime its 1-2 sec delay, 0.5 sec the lowest..

the picture is completely off the chart IMO.

it feels like watching boxes texture all over the screen..
what was the resolution and video bandwidth set at? was this overWireless LAN? Wired LAN?

Decent article here:

http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/stream-games-to-other-computers-with-streammygame/

So they're starting to push a solution which involves you having to run the server yourself? That says a lot about the practicality of streaming over the internet. And you can clearly see the display latency in that video, which doesn't even include the input lag.

I think I'm going to get a budget gaming laptop instead (P8400, 4650 Mobility) and then a PS3.

That way I can send the Non-FPS/RTS to the PS3 and then I can take advantage of the controller (except I won't get Games for Windows Live Support).

Or I could use HDMI/VGA for real time.

Now the question becomes, do I just buy Fallout 3 (for example) on PS3, on PC (laptop) and send to PS3, or just use HDMI.

It's only $20 so it's worth a try I think.

Last edited:

You can stream anything. The issue with this will be the cost and bandwidth costs. Ultimately if the cloud isn't a good bit cheaper than the client it's not going anywhere for consumers, at least not Goggle's "everything in a browser" version.

hmmm it seems laptop +VGA/HDMI and console is the best option.

I've come to the conclusion that stream my game isn't really needed in my case.

Last edited:

Thoughts are exactly the same as the other game streaming technology being worked on, the latency is a killer, no matter what that guy thinks about the latency I can see clear as day there is lag between his mouse movements and the laptop screen, and that is over a LAN with presumably no other traffic and obviously not through the internet.

Next to latency the next problem I see is bandwidth through the internet, I know you US guys still think infinite bandwidth is possible and free but in reality for most countries bandwidth costs money, most broadband or cable in the UK has download caps and streaming at something like 2Mbit for any length of time is going to add up to a lot of data and hence a lot of money if you pay for additional bandwidth.

I've also yet to see the quality of video, afterall this is being encoded to a 2mbit stream that is going to have artifacts and we cannot see the clarity of that stream on his laptop, we need an exact 1:1 copy of the final displayed image that we can watch to judge compression quality.

Thoughts are exactly the same as the other game streaming technology being worked on, the latency is a killer, no matter what that guy thinks about the latency I can see clear as day there is lag between his mouse movements and the laptop screen, and that is over a LAN with presumably no other traffic and obviously not through the internet.

Next to latency the next problem I see is bandwidth through the internet, I know you US guys still think infinite bandwidth is possible and free but in reality for most countries bandwidth costs money, most broadband or cable in the UK has download caps and streaming at something like 2Mbit for any length of time is going to add up to a lot of data and hence a lot of money if you pay for additional bandwidth.

I've also yet to see the quality of video, afterall this is being encoded to a 2mbit stream that is going to have artifacts and we cannot see the clarity of that stream on his laptop, we need an exact 1:1 copy of the final displayed image that we can watch to judge compression quality.

I asked him, he messaged me writing that there is lag (although he says there isn't in the video) and he wouldn't recommend it for online gaming. He says for casual singleplayer it's fine (for him).

So that's the end of that.

There is clearly lag in the video you can see it in his exaggerated mouse movements, if you can't see it you need your eyes/brain checked, what more can I say.

In Ontario, download/upload monthly limits are costing more and more.
Im one of the evil people who does lots of torrents and by the time the month is half way through, I cant do anything but websurf. I guess this kind of thing would be ok if you had unlimited download limits.

I think that its a great idea for the casual games though, i have an old laptop that i might be able to get to play some of the mroe recent games.

the other downside i think from this is it really doesn't lend at all to LAN play.

i think going the seperate laptop and desktop for you ARom will pay off in the end.

I got a laptop with an ATI 3200 and it is actually fairly decent in games, you have to turn most options down or off but not bad. a dedicated GPU + Memory laptop (i've seen some nice ones for 750$) would only be that much better.

Part of what OnLive touted was their advanced compression and streaming algorithms, which presumably would be far better than anything this would be using. In theory, if these worked as advertised, you could probably have a very good gaming experience without noticeable lag on a 100 mbps lan. Once you get on the internet its not going to happen, but its certainly more than possible for good streaming to work over a lan. Obviously though, less than perfect streaming (like this seems to be) might not even work on a closed network, but OnLive did brag about some pretty advanced techniques.

Huh? Everyone knows the US has relatively poor broadband infrastructure with high costs, poor coverage, and slower speeds. I haven't seen anyone suggesting otherwise, especially with regards to it hopefully being free.

Back