Strange X-fi problem

soulesschild

Supreme [H]ardness
Joined
Feb 18, 2007
Messages
6,176
So I just moved my X-fi card from a different pci slot to another one and along came a message that said it needed to install some creative drivers that were WDM or something. Now this created a whole SLEW of errors and problems so I had to uninstall and try to clean it all out using driver sweeper etc. But the problem is, whenever I run the creative installer, it gives me a warning/error window in the beginning where it says there is a newer version (because i stupidly installed the beta version) installed or something and now I'm not sure if I can actually remove those to get a fully clean install of the drivers without reformatting
 
Well, since everything is boink'd anyway. Reinstall the beta ones, reboot, then use the built-in deinstaller under Windows Control Panel, reboot. Now try installing the version of your choice.
 
if you have the original driver cd.. search for ctzapp.exe and run it. (it may be in the install folder too)

It will give you an option for uninstalling or installing the wdm drivers.

(this also useful when the driver's aren't detecting the soundcard because it will install regardless then detect after reboot)
 
Ttry uninstalling via Device Manager - right click the X-Fi, and check the box to delete software. That should let you roll back to earlier drivers, although I wouldn't recommend going back earlier than 2_16, if I were you. I think 16 had a firmware update which might make it buggy to go to an earlier release.
 
If you move a card to another PCI slot, it will need to reinstall the drivers so the card can operate on the new IRQ, bus address and allocated memory etc.
I've done it many times without uninstalling the driver, it just picks it up as a new card in another slot and installs the same driver from the Windows driver cache.
 
Back
Top