poppachocks
Limp Gawd
- Joined
- Jan 6, 2003
- Messages
- 245
I just picked up one of these cards for a new I7 build, but I wanted to try it in my "old" E6750 machine running Windows 7 Ultimate. I first thought something was a little strange when on posting I get the Windows "flag" logo at startup. I have built four Windows 7 machines so far, and it seems I only get that logo on lower end machines. Both of my C2D machines just show the green bar at boot up.
I ran the Windows WEI and got a 6.0 on the graphics part. My previous card (an 8800GTS 640Meg) got a 6.7. Strange, but not too troubling. In the CCC I checked idle temps, and saw 61c.
What??? I fired up a game and quickly got to the mid 90s. I have a CoolerMaster case with three 120mm fans, as well as a PCI slot dual fan. The only way I could keep the card cool was to manually set the fan speed to 50% or so.
Wait, it gets stranger... While looking at the bottom of the card, I noticed that if I turned the fan control back to auto in the ATI Overdrive panel, it pretty much came to a stop. However, if I tilted the case back toward horizontal, the fan would start back up.
The card has both power connectors attached, and the PSU is an Antec TruPower 550. Only one hard drive and one optical drive in this system, so the power draw should be pretty low.
I'm going to wait until my new stuff comes in next week and put it in that box (Corsair 850 PSU) before I call Newegg and ask for an RMA. Just wondered if anyone else had run into a similar issue with one of thes cards. I hate to RMA it since they are so scarce, but I don't really trust it now.
I ran the Windows WEI and got a 6.0 on the graphics part. My previous card (an 8800GTS 640Meg) got a 6.7. Strange, but not too troubling. In the CCC I checked idle temps, and saw 61c.
What??? I fired up a game and quickly got to the mid 90s. I have a CoolerMaster case with three 120mm fans, as well as a PCI slot dual fan. The only way I could keep the card cool was to manually set the fan speed to 50% or so.
Wait, it gets stranger... While looking at the bottom of the card, I noticed that if I turned the fan control back to auto in the ATI Overdrive panel, it pretty much came to a stop. However, if I tilted the case back toward horizontal, the fan would start back up.
The card has both power connectors attached, and the PSU is an Antec TruPower 550. Only one hard drive and one optical drive in this system, so the power draw should be pretty low.
I'm going to wait until my new stuff comes in next week and put it in that box (Corsair 850 PSU) before I call Newegg and ask for an RMA. Just wondered if anyone else had run into a similar issue with one of thes cards. I hate to RMA it since they are so scarce, but I don't really trust it now.