So, here's the deal:
I recently upgraded my machine a bit.. I swapped out a 4870x2 video card for 2x GTX480 SLi configuration and got my first ever SSD...
I plugged everything in, turned it on, everything seemed to go swimmingly, and I was just cruising the web, until the computer just completely froze.. Nothing worked, had to hit the reset button to reboot. Thought maybe it was a fluke, until it happened again, this time even faster. Third time happened during the windows 7 loading screen! So I'm thinking, okay... Power supply issue? One of the nvidia cards bad? I ended up using one card at a time, ran furmark, both cards one at a time, both PCI-E slots, no problems. I then put both of them back in, ran furmark again for awhile, absolutely fine, no problems. So I figured, okay, video cards are fine, power supply is fine.
So I started searching google for various hard lock-up situations in windows 7 and came across some interesting ones, but maybe some of you [H] forumers have some insight as well. I read some things about possible interrupt sharing, nvidia drivers, possible issues with the cards set as 'passive' vs. 'always use max performance', etc.
The problem seems to present itself very randomly, and I have a hard time reproducing the problem, but it seems like it only happens when I load up something.. Load a page, load a youtube video, click a button to make something 'go'.. It doesn't happen if I'm just sitting IDLE, and it doesn't happen when I'm gaming. In fact it has never happened when I'm gaming, even during 5 hour sessions with the system being taxed.
So I'm at a loss right now.. I suppose maybe I should flash my BIOS as I haven't done that in awhile, get in there and make sure I have nothing enabled I don't absolutely need and see if it keeps happening. I was running on a fresh install of Win7 off my new SSD, so I knew it wasn't conflicts with other drivers or old stuff.
My specs:
OS: Windows 7 64bit Ultimate
mobo: EVGA X58 SLi
processor: Intel i7-920 @ 3.6ghz
video: 2x EVGA GTX480 SC+ (stock)
PSU: Silverstone 1000watt
audio: Creative Labs X-Fi XtremeGamer
memory: 6GB
HD1: Intel X58 80GB SSD (gen2)
HD2: Raptor 300GB
HD3: Raptor 150GB
HD4: WD 500GB
Appreciate any insight.
I recently upgraded my machine a bit.. I swapped out a 4870x2 video card for 2x GTX480 SLi configuration and got my first ever SSD...
I plugged everything in, turned it on, everything seemed to go swimmingly, and I was just cruising the web, until the computer just completely froze.. Nothing worked, had to hit the reset button to reboot. Thought maybe it was a fluke, until it happened again, this time even faster. Third time happened during the windows 7 loading screen! So I'm thinking, okay... Power supply issue? One of the nvidia cards bad? I ended up using one card at a time, ran furmark, both cards one at a time, both PCI-E slots, no problems. I then put both of them back in, ran furmark again for awhile, absolutely fine, no problems. So I figured, okay, video cards are fine, power supply is fine.
So I started searching google for various hard lock-up situations in windows 7 and came across some interesting ones, but maybe some of you [H] forumers have some insight as well. I read some things about possible interrupt sharing, nvidia drivers, possible issues with the cards set as 'passive' vs. 'always use max performance', etc.
The problem seems to present itself very randomly, and I have a hard time reproducing the problem, but it seems like it only happens when I load up something.. Load a page, load a youtube video, click a button to make something 'go'.. It doesn't happen if I'm just sitting IDLE, and it doesn't happen when I'm gaming. In fact it has never happened when I'm gaming, even during 5 hour sessions with the system being taxed.
So I'm at a loss right now.. I suppose maybe I should flash my BIOS as I haven't done that in awhile, get in there and make sure I have nothing enabled I don't absolutely need and see if it keeps happening. I was running on a fresh install of Win7 off my new SSD, so I knew it wasn't conflicts with other drivers or old stuff.
My specs:
OS: Windows 7 64bit Ultimate
mobo: EVGA X58 SLi
processor: Intel i7-920 @ 3.6ghz
video: 2x EVGA GTX480 SC+ (stock)
PSU: Silverstone 1000watt
audio: Creative Labs X-Fi XtremeGamer
memory: 6GB
HD1: Intel X58 80GB SSD (gen2)
HD2: Raptor 300GB
HD3: Raptor 150GB
HD4: WD 500GB
Appreciate any insight.