Strange Motherboard Problem

Joined
Sep 15, 2007
Messages
45
Well, I bought a 320gb hard drive as a backup for my other drives, and as soon as I added it, I turned on the computer and received a Windows error message. I unfortunately didn't write it down, but the motherboard won't even post anymore.

I'm RMAing it to Foxconn soon, but I'm worried that my existing hard drives may not work with the new motherboard. I discovered that you can't simply transfer hard drives from one motherboard to another -- does this apply only to different model motherboards and will I be ok with my replacement board (same model)? And does anyone have any insight as to why it won't POST anymore? Even with only the power connections and CPU installed, I don't even get a beep from the board; all I did was connect the IDE cable to it.

Thanks for the help.
 
Clear the CMOS (reset the BIOS) with the jumper and try again. If the chip-set is the same you should be OK with a swap and no re-install.
 
Thanks, thats great to hear!

Yeah I tried resetting the CMOS and taking out the battery for a few minutes, looks like the board is toast.
 
Is the motherboard getting any power? If you have a lot of hardware in that case maybe you overloaded your power supply.
 
Er... you do have ram installed, right? Just checking.

Whoops, yeah I forget to say that, I've got the RAM installed. The motherboard is seeing power I'm guessing, since the bridge fan that's connected to the board is spinning up and I can feel the cpu heatsink getting warm to the touch. The PSU definitely isn't the culprit since I tried a different one and the same thing happened.

I guess I'll just have to wait and see if the new board does this trick.
 
check the molex that you used for the new hdd. it might have a loose/disconnected pin. sounds like you might have gotten a short. look on the underside of the new hdd, see if any of the chips have burn/scorch marks on them.
 
check the molex that you used for the new hdd. it might have a loose/disconnected pin. sounds like you might have gotten a short. look on the underside of the new hdd, see if any of the chips have burn/scorch marks on them.

All of the molex connectors seem to be fine and there were no scorch marks on the hard drive. When I plugged the drive into an external hard drive to format it, it worked fine; I only had problems when I installed it internally.
 
Back
Top