strange mini display port problem

gord27

n00b
i'm posting this because i've done some searching and can't find an answer.

basically, when my mini display port is plugged in and the computer is powered off some of the system fans keep spinning very slowly and the LEDs stay dimly lit. as soon as i unplug both mini display ports the problem stops.

the other issue is if i unplug the 6 pin pcie connectors before unplugging the display port plugs the video cards emit a high pitched whine.

basically, is this behaviour normal? i have to unplug my display port monitors each night since my computer is in my room and the fans spinning very slowly emit a high pitched electrical noise which is disturbing.

relevant specs are in sig. i have replaced the power supply and also am connected through a ups. this happens without the ups as well and also happens with both video cards.

two bad cables? i guess that makes sense if it's brand incompatibility.

for the record here is the cable: http://www.canadacomputers.com/product_info.php?cPath=98_748&item_id=027899

also, i thought the power alarm happens when the system is on without the power being plugged in. this is happening when the system is off and stops immediately when the mini dp is unplugged. though i guess if they're bad cables they could cause all kinds of weird behaviour.

i will try different cables tonight when i have time and report back.

thanks for the help. switching cables solved the problem of the fans spinning. thankfully both video cards came with mini-dp adapters and my monitors came with dp cables.

that's too bad about the cables. i bought them a few months ago and still have one un-opened... at $20 bucks a cable you don't expect these sorts of issues.

Back