Strange issue with 7950

masterosok

Gawd
Sometimes after my PC has been "idle" (no one actively using it) my PC becomes non-responsive. The monitor reports no signal from the computer and while the power is still on I can not get it to respond and have to restart it. I notice when it does this that the fans on my 7950 aren't on any longer though the computer is powered on.

I've tried various different driver versions, check the event logs and mini-dumps for any kind of evidence as to what might be causing this but I can find none.

After rebooting it I can game on it for hours with no issues at all and it doesn't really do this frequently but it very strange so I figured I'd see if anyone has experienced anything similar.

Last edited:
In both sleep and hibernate the fans should be off

Disable hibernat or sleep to see if it still happens

Hibernate and sleep are both off. However during both all the fans will shut down and the PC will appear to be off. This is not the case... The computer appear to be on, all the leds are on and fans are going except the video card fans.

Last edited:
Go into your power settings and look at the pcie power settings. Make sure it's turned to max performance. Also disable monitor sleep just for testing

The next would be to update your drivers to the latest

Maybe run gpu-z as well and log the temperature to make sure you aren't idling to max temp and thermal shutdown

Changing the PCIE power settings to max performance seems to have done the trick. Haven't had the issue since.

Thanks!

Back