Strange issue, thoughts?

todlerix

2[H]4U
I've recently added 2x WD20EARS (2tb western digital green drives)

They are not tied to the OS at all, simply store data. However with either of the two of them hooked up in any of my SATA ports on the ich10, my boot time goes from 15-20 seconds to 3~ minutes

The boot times are being measured from the time the windows splash screen appears.

Once in windows everything is very snappy per usual. I've recently performed a secure erase on my intel ssd g1. I am certain the slow boots only occur while the wd20ears are connected. My 1.5tb/1tb/.5tb seagates do not have this effect.

I'm a bit confused, advice?

I've turned off overclocking on ram/cpu already.

my boot time goes from 15-20 seconds to 3~ minutes

Sounds like your BIOS is having a hard time recognizing those drives.

You'll also see this type of behaviour when a drive is faulty but IDK if that's the case here.

Those EARS drives have that new-fangled file system.......
The WD20EARS, along with the companion 1TB WD10EARS, are the first 3.5" drives to hit the market with Western Digital's new formatting structure, which divides the drive into 4,096-byte sectors instead of the smaller 512-byte sectors used in current drive technology.
Windows users (including WHS users) from Vista forward should have no trouble, and the latest versions of Mac OS X and Linux are reported to handle 4K sectors without third-party software. If you're running XP, however, be aware that you'll have to use a software solution (WD's supplied WD Align tool, which provides 512-byte emulation) to get optimal performance,

Are you running XP?

AAR, you could run WDs diagnostic software to make sure the drive's are OK and if no joy, check out the file system.

EDIT...I see you're running W7....that takes XP out of the equation.

Sounds like your BIOS is having a hard time recognizing those drives.

The boot times are being measured from the time the windows splash screen appears.

However with either of the two of them hooked up in any of my SATA ports on the ich10

when i tried the different ports it was also tested on different cables (the ones that i use for my 1.5tb/1tb/.5tb drives)

Have you updated your mobo drivers or tried different cables?

Found an article over at WD Community that might lead you somewhere: http://community.wdc.com/t5/Desktop/Caviar-Green-WD20EADS-00S2B0-Extremely-Slow-transfer-rates-Fix/m-p/6451

Mobo drivers are current, using intel's rapid storage (ia96enu) if i remember right

as well as chipset drivers, from intel.

The post is regarding slow transfer speeds, the issue was his cable. i have some brand new cables that came with a gigabyte x58 usb3.0 that I can try. However transfer speeds are not my issue.

frankly I think the WD green line sucks. I had one as my boot drive and I would get frequent lockups in explorer. reinstalling OS, same result. going to a different drive, problem solved. I think their controller has some flaws. seen other similar complaints in various places.

frankly I think the WD green line sucks. I had one as my boot drive and I would get frequent lockups in explorer. reinstalling OS, same result. going to a different drive, problem solved. I think their controller has some flaws. seen other similar complaints in various places.

For me its a pretty small flaw because my computer is 24/7 for the most part. windows updates require a restart every now and then. but i certainly prefer a flawless machine than a flawed ;|

Back