Strange computer problem.

FinalAura

[H]ard|Gawd
Lately, i've been having this problem with my computer sometimes where it won't passed the BIOS post screen. It doesn't happen every time, however. Its been a little over a week since it last happened to me, but its been happening quite frequently.

First off, here are my computer specs:

i7 920 @ 4ghz
gigabyte x58 ud4p
3x4gb corsair vengeance 1600
xfx 5870 1gb non ref
corsair hx620
1x 80gb intel ssd g2, 1x 300gb vraptor, 1x 1tb samsung
windows 7 x64
3 20wmgx2 monitors in eyefinity

I start up my comp, then the fans turn on and everything and it just sits there. My monitors awaken from their sleep state, but nothing shows on the display. I usually have to power off the machine by holding the power button down. I then unplug it from the wall for 20 secs or so, and sometimes it will go past the BIOS post or freeze half way, or freeze during the windows 7 logo splash. Also, I notice that my screens flicker artifacts and discolored strips across the screen sometimes, but quickly go away.

After about 5-10 more sessions of powering on and off my comp, it eventually gets to windows and it works. I usually test my computer by running the crysis warhead benchmark with 3 loops, and it usually works fine. However, today was a little different because during the middle of the benchmark, my screens displayed artifacts and eventually turned into a solid color, though the sound was still playing. I tried alt+tabbing and ctrl+alt+del and it eventually brought me to task manager though the screen was a little artifacted. It then showed on a notification that my display driver stopped working, but everything was fine after that. I ran the benchmark again and it ran flawlessly.

I'm a little puzzled to what this could be. I've had this setup since the summer of 2009 and it worked flawlessly until around the start of this year. I've had the computer at the same overclocked settings, and the only upgrades i've done lately are upgrading my ram for 6gb (3x2) to 12 gb (4x3) and i've adjusted the timings and voltage accordingly.

I was thinking it was the video card, but then i'm typing from this very computer right now and i just ran the warhead benchmarks and it passed fine.. I was thinking it could be my powersupply since its around 4 years old or so, but my computer wouldn't turn on if it wasn't working properly, right? My ram is detected by windows 7 as 12gb so i doubt thats the problem.

Sorry for the long post, and thanks for any insight.

I would reflash the BIOS and run everything on stock clock and voltage. Also try using only 1 stick of RAM. Run the benchmark and see if it crashes or not.

Like you, I think it might be the videocard or PSU too. Do you have any spare cards or PSU to test with. If your local retailer has them you might be able to purchase it and return it after your tests.

Yeah i have already updated to latest BIOS and it was fine for a week, then had the problem once again.
I tried using one stick of ram and that made it work as well. Then I would add the other sticks, and the system would run fine again also. Weird.

Such a weird, unorthodox problem. Thanks for the help man.

edit:
Also, i'm noticing that my left monitor flickers with a black bar when i click anywhere... WTH...
edit 2: the flicker is actually happening more constantly now, and on its own. ALso, when I drag windows, theres screen tearing... This has never happened before... wow..
I just ran the crysis benchmark again, and it displayed screen artifacts for a second around 3 times, then worked fine. Also there was no screen tearing present and no black bar flickering. I guess that only happens on the desktop...

Last edited:
I had the same problem. It was my 8 year old Enermax PSU. Their power fades with age.

I uninstalled video card drivers last night and installed older ones (cat 10.4a) and the screen did not flicker or tear anymore.

Woke up this morning and turned on my comp and my screen flickered and artifacted with many discolored lines and what not throughout the bios post and the windows splash. However, it booted to windows fine?

I then ran crysis bench once again and it artifacted several times as well but it never crashed or anything...

What kind of problem is this? So weird.. So a dying psu coukd cause this? I gues ill have to go and get another psu to test..

Anyone know of my corsair psu is still under warranty? Around 4 years old or so

Sounds like a PSU problem, it's not giving out as much power as it used to on initial power up, or able to sustain the demand.

Yeah I guess i'll try a new psu when I get the chance. Its just weird how I can use it fine when it eventually boots up to windows.

Any other suggestions are welcome.

If it is the psu, I hope i'm covered by corsair... I just looked up my invoice and I purchased in in January of 2008.

Good to know! Thanks.

Just played a good session of single player in crysis warhead... No problems whatsoever...

Weird.

Edit: I just ran memtest 86 and prime 95 for an hour each and both were stable with no artifacts or anything. However, When I booted up to windows before stress testing, the windows splash went crazy with artifacts, stalled for around 30 seconds, then finally booted up to windows normally...

Last edited:
Good to know! Thanks.

Just played a good session of single player in crysis warhead... No problems whatsoever...
Try running Furmark instead.
Edit: I just ran memtest 86 and prime 95 for an hour each and both were stable with no artifacts or anything. However, When I booted up to windows before stress testing, the windows splash went crazy with artifacts, stalled for around 30 seconds, then finally booted up to windows normally...
It takes a lot longer than that to really test the system IMO. I usually aim for 3 hours minimum to 24 hours max for the RAM and 4 hours minimum to 24 hours max for Prime 95.

I know.. i used to be like that as well, stressing for hours.

But then I thought to myself will any game really stress my system as much as furmark? Or will any app/game stress my cpu/ram as much as prime 95? I was thinking that if it could last at least an hour, then my system should be fine. This is probably bad thinking by me though...

However, When I first got the system, I did prime 95 over night (around 8 hours) for two nights (blend and small ftts) and it turned out fine. I have never ran furmark though.

I could try to run stress tests for several hours, but it just takes so much time.. haha. I'll give furmark a try when I get home.

I'm also gonna try and get a new psu. Should I swap psu's first or should I just try out furmark beforehand?

And if the same thing keeps happening with the new psu, is the culprit most likely the video card? Could it be fauly motherboard maybe? I really can't tell, as the system can work perfectly for several days to weeks, then just all of a sudden turn all crazy.

Thanks

How long should I be running furmark? I read that ati 58xx cards dont really play well with furmark..

Anyhow, I've been running it for 10 mins and it flickered/displayed artifacts for the first 2.5 mins or so, then never did it again.

I'll leave it running for the time being

How long should I be running furmark? I read that ati 58xx cards dont really play well with furmark..

Anyhow, I've been running it for 10 mins and it flickered/displayed artifacts for the first 2.5 mins or so, then never did it again.

I'll leave it running for the time being

About 3-4 hours minimum.

Yeah I guess i'll try a new psu when I get the chance. Its just weird how I can use it fine when it eventually boots up to windows.

I too would say PSU. A buddy of mine kept having random BSOD's sitting on the desktop and while playing WoW. This spanned over about a 6 month period I guess. The day Cataclysm came out, he was leveling up one of his toons and the pc just shut off. He replaced his PSU and has been fine ever since.

So a little update.

I swapped out my psu with a refurb 1000w bfg unit that I forgot I had purchased a while back, and my computer went back to normal. No artifacts or instability at all. Its been rock solid.

I also RMA'd my HX620 and got a brand new HX650 back from Corsair! I love how this unit has a 7 year warranty and the fact that Corsair gave me a brand new unit with a little more wattage than my previous psu. Corsair is great and their tech support is great as well. Now I have a good back up power supply if my BFG ever goes out.

Good to hear that you found the source of your issue!

Back