Storm + single 120 rad = success?

JokerNut

Limp Gawd
I want to upgrade my CPU block from a Swiftech 5000-A to the Storm and was wondering if a single 120 rad will be sufficient for the storm on a 2800+ XP. I will probly add the MCW55 to the loop which will go on a 9600XT. The case I have right now isn't huge and I wanted to try and fit everything in it. I will also be upgrading the pump to a MCP655. I would like it to be quiet as possible, right now the pump I have is pretty loud and the rad had two 80s on it.

Right now I am looking at this rad.

I plan on upgrading the rad to something better down the road (when I get a better system). I was hoping that I would be able to get this rad or one similar to it for now, and when I got a better system I would move my 5000-A and the old pump and this rad to my wife's pc. However if my system needs something better now then I will forget about the single 120 and go w/ a dual.

Thanks in advance,
JN

are you overclocking or adjusting the voltage on it at all? if so I would maybe consider a dual rad solution. I ran a mcw5002 and an mcw50 for a while on a 2500+ and 9800 pro and they were fine on one BIX rev2 120mm rad. temps got a bit higher than I wanted (45c) so I got a second rad, didn't seem to help much but I don't think my second rad is all that great (bought it used).

I overclocked it to a 3000+ without voltage adjustments. Right now I am using this rad. I might try and OC it to a 3200+, which I have done in the past, but it wasn't supper stable. It would run fine for a few hours and then crash. So I backed it off to the 3000+ setting and its been running there solid.

1 120mm rad does a lot more than people think. My WC setup right now is a 1x120mm BIP with Panaflo L1A. The L1A is on a rheobus which i leave on the lowest setting for the rad fan. With the fan on low, it is enough to keep my X2 3800 @ 2.5ghz prime stable. I can game as long as i want without problems. The system is silent too.

I think I will try the CoolRad and see how it does. If it does infact have problems cooling the water, then I will move it to my wife's system and get a dual rad.

Thank you all for helping me with this dilemma.

JN

Back