• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Storm + single 120 rad = success?

JokerNut

Limp Gawd
Joined
Nov 23, 2000
Messages
239
I want to upgrade my CPU block from a Swiftech 5000-A to the Storm and was wondering if a single 120 rad will be sufficient for the storm on a 2800+ XP. I will probly add the MCW55 to the loop which will go on a 9600XT. The case I have right now isn't huge and I wanted to try and fit everything in it. I will also be upgrading the pump to a MCP655. I would like it to be quiet as possible, right now the pump I have is pretty loud and the rad had two 80s on it.

Right now I am looking at this rad.

I plan on upgrading the rad to something better down the road (when I get a better system). I was hoping that I would be able to get this rad or one similar to it for now, and when I got a better system I would move my 5000-A and the old pump and this rad to my wife's pc. However if my system needs something better now then I will forget about the single 120 and go w/ a dual.

Thanks in advance,
JN
 
are you overclocking or adjusting the voltage on it at all? if so I would maybe consider a dual rad solution. I ran a mcw5002 and an mcw50 for a while on a 2500+ and 9800 pro and they were fine on one BIX rev2 120mm rad. temps got a bit higher than I wanted (45c) so I got a second rad, didn't seem to help much but I don't think my second rad is all that great (bought it used).
 
I overclocked it to a 3000+ without voltage adjustments. Right now I am using this rad. I might try and OC it to a 3200+, which I have done in the past, but it wasn't supper stable. It would run fine for a few hours and then crash. So I backed it off to the 3000+ setting and its been running there solid.
 
1 120mm rad does a lot more than people think. My WC setup right now is a 1x120mm BIP with Panaflo L1A. The L1A is on a rheobus which i leave on the lowest setting for the rad fan. With the fan on low, it is enough to keep my X2 3800 @ 2.5ghz prime stable. I can game as long as i want without problems. The system is silent too.
 
I think I will try the CoolRad and see how it does. If it does infact have problems cooling the water, then I will move it to my wife's system and get a dual rad.

Thank you all for helping me with this dilemma.

JN
 
Back
Top