Storm Of War - IL2 successor

Here's a video of Storm of War.. you can still see some IL2 in it, specifically the way the ai reacts while flying. The in-cockpit views with the scenery as backdrop are jaw dropping.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z469HXN0hlQ

IL2 took up most of my life for a few years, great game and great community. I'm not sure I'll get into it again, but it's been enjoyable watching Oleg and Storm of War develop over the years.

You just made my day. Another great sim being rehashed. Honestly, if it's just IL-2 with updated graphics and sound I'd be fine.

Here's hoping there's going to be even more!

And just LOOK at the way that water is rendered. If splashes from downed planes are realistic, I'll make an effort to lure people over water just to see them go down haha.

And just LOOK at the way that water is rendered. If splashes from downed planes are realistic, I'll make an effort to lure people over water just to see them go down haha.

While it is an early build, the splash from the downed biplane was less than impressive. Overall I found that trailer to be less visually stimulating in the terrain department than Wings of Prey managed to achieve but that cockpit was gorgeous. I will love to see things develop as we move towards a final product.

Yes! Man I loved IL 2. This looks great, thanks for posting! .:D

I've been looking forward to this one as well. Let's just hope they actually get around to finishing it, because its release has been delayed for something like 2 years now.

Let's hope it finishes development some time in the near future...

It looks amazing but...

Another European air war sim? Really? There are several iterations of the European air war.

I'd like to see the Vietnam War, Korean War, or something relatively contemporary.

I have been waiting and waiting for Jet Thunder to come out because its going to be kick ass and its original.

What are you gonna do there with aircraft... drop napalm? Sounds fun...

Close air support, CAP, and Wild Weasel missions were all an integral part of the war in Vietnam. Not just dropping napalm. :rolleyes:

It looks amazing but...

Another European air war sim? Really? There are several iterations of the European air war.

Well, IL2 did cover pretty much every theater of WW2 when you take into account the expansions. Let's hope that SoW eventually achieves the same thing.

A proper Vietnam/Korean War theater would be nice though.

For all you Sim-buffs out there; What would be something that's popular today, that would be comparable to the Air Warrior series? I logged countless hours of time on AW3, but never followed it's progression once I didn't have much time for it.

Don't wanna drag this OT, so PM's are welcome. :)

Storm of War is being made with the future in mind. It is going to lay the groundwork for all kinds of expansions with all kinds of air and ground craft. I think only sales (and hence funding for further development) will be a limiting factor in where this simulation goes. Whereas the IL-2 series sims were very much hampered by the technical limitations of a simulation that had, in its earliest days, only been designed for simulating the IL-2 Sturmovik.

I'm really looking forward to it.

As I understand it, the first (or one of the first) things to come out after SoW (based on the same sim engine) will be a Korean war sim.

Official Announcement: IL-2 STURMOVIK: CLIFFS OF DOVER (Formally known as Storm of War)

Oleg Maddox’s world famous IL-2 Sturmovik™ series of flight simulators roars over Britain

City, COUNTRY – Tuesday January 18th, 2011 – Today Ubisoft announced that IL-2 STURMOVIK™: Cliffs of Dover, will take off on March 24th 2011 for PCs in Europe and Australia. IL-2 STURMOVIK™: Cliffs of Dover is the latest instalment in the acclaimed IL-2 Sturmovik™ series from award-winning developer 1C: Maddox Games.
IL-2 STURMOVIK™: Cliffs of Dover takes place in 1940 during the pivotal aerial battle for the skies over Britain between the British, the German and the Italian air forces.

Key Features:

New aircraft: incredibly detailed true-to-life modeling of aircraft systems based on thousands of hours of dedicated research. Every single aircraft component can be damaged for realistic and immensely satisfying results.

- Flyable aircraft – Over a dozen famous and highly detailed English, German and Italian aircraft available, with all crew positions open to players. All flyable aircraft have been painstakingly researched, resulting in incredibly accurate cockpit interiors.

- Non-flyable aircraft –13 additional AI-controlled aircraft are also available, created with the same attention to historical accuracy, for an even more varied and immersive combat environment.
• Immersive game modes:

- Exciting Single-Player Campaign – The campaign thrusts the player into the middle of the battle. The player will join the British Air Force to fight the German forces and renegade pilots on his own side.

- Massive multiplayer –Customizable modes range from simple deathmatch-style free-for-alls to epic, ongoing 128 player battles that can last hours, days, weeks, or even longer.

- Interactive training – Comprehensive interactive training for new players – fly a real WWII trainer plane with a computer controlled instructor through a series of training missions.

• Brand new setting – The battle will take place on a large area spanning London and southern England in the north, to Northern France and Belgium in the south. The huge map will contain thousands of historical cities, towns, roads, airfields, radar stations, ports, and industrial areas – all located exactly where they were in 1940.

• New 3D engine – Latest-gen graphics engine with DX10 and DX11 API support. Huge variety of photorealistic ground vehicles, buildings and other environmental elements recreate minute details of 1940s Europe.

• Customizable difficulty – dozens of realism options allow newcomers to the franchise to reduce the difficulty and focus on the fun while learning the ropes of being a pilot.

Ubisoft also announced that IL-2 STURMOVIK™: Cliffs of Dover will be available in a special Collector’s Edition, along-side the standalone version.
This Collector’s Edition features the following collection of exclusive pilot material assets in a premium packaging:

- The Windows PC version of IL-2 STURMOVIK™: Cliffs of Dover

- A cloth pilot escape map showing The Battle of Britain strategic locations

- A replica of the Pilot’s Notes on the Spitfire I Aeroplane, provided to RAF pilots during The Battle of Britain and reprinted from the RAF Museum original document

- An in-depth 150-page ring binder pilot instructions

IL-2 series fans can preorder this limited Collector’s Edition

The Standard Edition and Collector’s Edition can both be pre-ordered at UBIShop® following those links:

- Standard Edition: http://shop.ubi.com/cliffsofdover

- Collector’s Edition: http://shop.ubi.com/cliffsofdovercollector
Consumers pre-ordering either the Standard Edition or the Collector’s Edition at UBIShop® will get a free digital version of Silent Hunter® III.

For more information on IL-2 STURMOVIK™: Cliffs of Dover please visit http://www.il2sturmovik.com

"An in-depth 150-page ring binder pilot instructions"

Wait... you need now to buy CE to get manual? Otherwise what, pdf file? Meh, I remember the 600 pages Falcon 4.0 manual :)

"An in-depth 150-page ring binder pilot instructions"

Wait... you need now to buy CE to get manual? Otherwise what, pdf file? Meh, I remember the 600 pages Falcon 4.0 manual :)

Nowadays, unfortunately. Just be glad you can actually get a real manual these days, even if it costs extra.

I've bought the digital version of DCS Black Shark when it was first released online and seriously considered ordering a hard copy of the manual.

Seriously? You can't play the Nazi's in the campaign?

What is wrong with Oleg!?!

It looks amazing but...

I'd like to see the Vietnam War, Korean War, or something relatively contemporary.

I have been waiting and waiting for Jet Thunder to come out because its going to be kick ass and its original.

My guess is because WW2 was the last of the dog fighting era.

American military brass incorrectly made that assumption after the Korean war. It was a costly mistake because an entire generation of American fighter pilots had been trained without any emphasis on ACM, With time and the reintroduction of the appropriate training as well as Top Gun, American pilots brought their kill ratio back up.

Not so... during Vietnam, US forces quickly realised, that arming their Phantoms only in missiles was bad idea. The common belief in US forces was that with supersonic speeds guns will be obsolete and only missiles are "teh thing". The number of downed planes quickly made US rething the strategy and fit gun pods in 1967... tho gunpods were crap too, so the F4E appeared with Vulcan onboard.

But yeah, no more mass dogfighting after WW2.

Well I realize it occurred after but what I was trying to get at is the great dog-fighting era. After jets became mainstream I think it was not as exciting.

Back