Storage Needs on Computer Build

JOSHSKORN

Limp Gawd
I recently built a new computer. It's not complete, as I plan on upgrading my storage solutions over the next few months, as more tech comes to the market.

My build should be in my forum signature. What I'm wanting to do with my computer is:
Watch/Record TV with Windows Media Center
Do Programming and Database development
Microsoft Office
Gaming (possibly running game servers, as well, but not 24/7)
Store my files

I do not do any picture or video editing. It isn't my thing.

That said, I want to get a M.2 SSD, when the SM951 is released, the 1 TB version. I plan on storing my data files on an 8TB HDD (when it's released).

I want this machine to run fast, and I don't want to utilize any space on the M.2 drive if it won't give me a performance gain.

I'm considering also buying a Samsung 850 EVO 1TB, as well. I'm not sure if I'd designate this as a gaming drive or not. Is there much difference that the human brain can detect between the aforementioned SSD and M.2 drives?

Is there much difference that the human brain can detect between the aforementioned SSD and M.2 drives?
Not really unless you're constantly transferring files to and from the SSD all day long. The key performance metric of a SSD, the random read/write speeds, isn't quite affected by the interface. In fact, you wouldn't notice a difference in every-day use between SATA 3.0Gb/s and SATA 6.0Gb/s with any good SSD.

Are you just looking at a very simple storage setup or do you want an actual backup and redundancy setup?

Not really unless you're constantly transferring files to and from the SSD all day long. The key performance metric of a SSD, the random read/write speeds, isn't quite affected by the interface. In fact, you wouldn't notice a difference in every-day use between SATA 3.0Gb/s and SATA 6.0Gb/s with any good SSD.

Are you just looking at a very simple storage setup or do you want an actual backup and redundancy setup?
I'm looking for simple storage setup. I have an external hard drive hooked up to my router, so I would occasionally backup my files to it, as well so I don't have everything in one spot.

I'm looking to use my storage drive for:
  • Recorded Content from WMC
  • File Storage
  • Music MP3s
  • Storage for any programming or database related files

I'm just wondering if there's a point to getting both M.2 and a regular SATA III SSD. Games do take longer to load, obviously and I'd probably notice the difference going from SATA III SSD to M.2, but in terms of other applications, I don't know if it'd make that big of a deal (like MS Office, Internet Browsers, etc.) if I put them on M.2 or SATA III SSD. Some games require more load time than others, so I'd want that on the fastest solution possible. (I realize RAID 10 might be the fastest, but I'm not looking to spend THAT much for 4 SSDs).

I'm just wondering if there's a point to getting both M.2 and a regular SATA III SSD. Games do take longer to load, obviously and I'd probably notice the difference going from SATA III SSD to M.2, but in terms of other applications, I don't know if it'd make that big of a deal (like MS Office, Internet Browsers, etc.) if I put them on M.2 or SATA III SSD. Some games require more load time than others, so I'd want that on the fastest solution possible. (I realize RAID 10 might be the fastest, but I'm not looking to spend THAT much for 4 SSDs).
As noted, you'd really have to do a lot of massive file transfers to notice the difference between M.2 and SATA 6.0GB/s. Even game loads aren't that massive at the end of the day. With that said, it's your money. From the looks of your sig rig, cost-effectiveness or value doesn't look like a big "thing" for you so might as well get both and see for yourself if there's a difference.

Also, are you doing a ton of serious database work?

As noted, you'd really have to do a lot of massive file transfers to notice the difference between M.2 and SATA 6.0GB/s. Even game loads aren't that massive at the end of the day. With that said, it's your money. From the looks of your sig rig, cost-effectiveness or value doesn't look like a big "thing" for you so might as well get both and see for yourself if there's a difference.

Also, are you doing a ton of serious database work?
I'm going to be learning Oracle 12.

Hmmm, if it's serious, I would dedicate a full SSD just for database alone as database work can be massively intense in terms of random I/O.

Nah I think I'm ok with putting it on a regular HDD with the rest of my main files.

Back