Storage Ideas

Sublym3

Limp Gawd
Hey,

For my last build I simply used a separate hard drive for OS, another for applications, and another for games and another one for data.

For my new i7 build would I be better off using separate drives for everything or having 4 to 5 drives in Raid5 using the onboard controller?

I am looking at using the 640GB or 750GB WD Black drives.

This build is already expensive as the Australian dollar sucks so i can’t afford a raid card.

And help would be appreciated.

Cheers

I have my setup as OS and applications on one partition, games on the other partition (same drive). I keep the rest of my data on a seperate drive.

I would not do the Raid 5 on the on-board, either get a decent raid 5 controller or go JBOD. In fact, for personal desktop use, I would recomend a single fast drive for the os and RAID (if you must have raid) for all your storage drives.

Well I was only thinking raid for a speed boost, but I knew the onboards controllers aren't really that good.

I am just looking for a performance boost with out breaking the bank.

could get a Perc 5/i on ebay.....they are really good cards for the price.

I know you said money is tight cause of the rates but if want speed your gonna have to do some raid5 on a controller like a perc5/i or

get 4 drives and run R10 using the onboard.

What would you like the speed boost for?
The smaller you can make the RAID array, the less data you risk.
You should incorporate a decent backup strategy into your plans as the faster RAID solutions increase the chance of having a failure that can destroy a lot more data.

Unless you are prepared to have redundant drives, you have no protection and a much higher chance of failure which will lose the data of the whole array!
With 1 redundant drive, you are safe only from a single drive failure.
There are many more modes of failure so a backup is essential.

Well I was only thinking raid for a speed boost, but I knew the onboards controllers aren't really that good.

I am just looking for a performance boost with out breaking the bank.

your best bet is a small velociraptor or decent MLC SSD

moneys tight? but you can afford 4 or 5 drives?
just get an ssd or a raptor hdd

A great alternative to the smaller Raptor drives are the SATA 1TB and 1.5GB drives using 330GB/platter (1TB) or 500GB/platter (1.5TB) as they are very fast.
This is due to the higher data density so more data passes the read head per second.
The 500GB/platter drives being the fastest.

The Seagate 700.12 1.5TB drives are stormingly quick as single drives and are massive to boot, that may be what you are after.
The 1TB Samsung HD103UJ drive isnt as fast but is still damn quick, its major is price. I have 2 of these and they are great, completely silent too.
The Samsung 330GB platters get an average read/write performance of around 92MB/s with HDTune.
That should translate proportionally stepping up to 500GB/platter.

Back