Steve Jobs Reintroducing Apple Computers

CommanderFrank

Cat Can't Scratch It
This is your shot at seeing Steve Jobs in his heyday rallying support and introducing the concept of the “Think Different” ad campaign back in 1997. You can see by the attire of shorts and sandals, Jobs is getting his point over to his audience. Be sure to check out the actual commercial at the end of the video. Times have really changed.

Times have really changed.

I don't know. Basically his message is that a product's merit has nothing to do with its success. He is basically saying the better the marketing bullshit the better the sales. He is saying hype is everything. Seems the same as today.

Today Apple's message seems to be the opposite of "think different." Today, the message basically boils down to "conform." Well, that and "consume."

I was an Apple fan back in the day. I lusted after the early Macs when Windows wasn't even in the market. But now? Now Apple seems like a snobbish culture of elitism. They do some nice industrial design, that is true. But they are way too controlling for me.

Jobs is a great salesman. Always has been. But his magic has worn off for me.

I don't know. Basically his message is that a product's merit has nothing to do with its success. He is basically saying the better the marketing bullshit the better the sales. He is saying hype is everything. Seems the same as today.

Or maybe he was saying a great product without a good advertising push behind it would be a failure.

With the same long sleeve black shirt......

...but with shorts and sandals. lol

I remember when those Think Different ads came out, both TV and billboard, it was quite powerful, and quite true. However even back then (and it wasn't that long ago) I didn't think of Apple products at all when I thought about how "different thinkers" made genius

I find it funny that he mentions Coke as one of the greatest companies in the world... Since he was fired by Pepsi's ex-CEO. :p
Posted via [H] Mobile Device

I like the part where he says that Nike doesn't need to compare to rebok and so forth to prove that they are better. Apple would never do that... Wait... I'm a PC

Times have changed?

Apple - overpriced, underequipped and built by slackers.

Kinda still seems the same to me. :D

yeah hes saying its all about using fancy marketing to get lemmings to zombie-walk into your stores and buy your mediocre product. the fact that a macbook pro is a mid-range computer that costs more than computers twice as powerful is masked by the fact that its pretty. apple's lead marketing strategy: make it pretty for the lemmings.

Aesthetics matter in this world. That's why we like hot women/men, because we care about the outer appearance. So despite all the hating I do on Apple, at least they are very much in tune with their consumer base. You buy into the Apple culture every time you buy an Apple product.

So the increased risk of Ovarian Cancer has never been consistently proven; and the increased risk of prostate cancer is associated with calcium itself and not dairy. Also too much fat in your diet without exercise can have negative impacts. :rolleyes:

I don't infer from that article that milk isn't good for you. I take from it that too much of anything can have adverse side effects; which to me is a different statement, and should be common sense.

Besides if you follow everything about food, everything causes cancer anymore.

Also from the full article.

"At moderate levels, though, consumption of calcium and dairy products has benefits beyond bone health, including possibly lowering the risk of high blood pressure and colon cancer. (20–25) While the blood pressure benefits appear fairly small, the protection against colon cancer seems somewhat larger, and most of the latter benefit comes from having just one or maybe two glasses of milk per day in addition to what we get from other foods in our diet. Getting more than this doesn't seem to lower risk further."

I didn't mean to actually get off topic though, my original comment wasn't meant to incite any replies, and was more for my own humor.

Actually on topic, I don't see that large of a difference between this video of his heyday and the recent ones I've seen. It's maybe a little softer on the delivery though, as I don't feel like he's speaking down to the crowd like they're idiots quite as much. meh...I still dun like 'im.

Actually on topic, I don't see that large of a difference between this video of his heyday and the recent ones I've seen. It's maybe a little softer on the delivery though, as I don't feel like he's speaking down to the crowd like they're idiots quite as much. meh...I still dun like 'im.

The difference is this:

In the past, the Apple mantra was "Think Different" - be different, do different things, stand out, be singular, etc - it flies in the face of the very mantra however because if everybody at Apple was thinking different to be different they'd all be thinking the same. :)

Now, the Apple mantra is (drumroll please...)

"Just avoid thinking in that way."

or words to that effect since it's heavy handed start to finish, locked down as tightly as they can do it without totally screwing it up, blowing off problems like it's no big deal even when it's so blatantly in-your-face that only insanity can be the cause of denying it (or being an outright liar, of course), and other considerations.

They've got the money now, as compared to back in those days when they were just just getting back on their feet when Jobs came back. Now they don't care anymore, it's so simple and also in-your-face to see it that it's not even funny. They simply don't care because they've gained that foothold into the psyche of people that believe "Hey, it's Apple, it's gotta be a great product, Steve Jobs said so" and that's where all bets are off.

I found it funny that in that speech made in the video when he was going over the "big name" companies he neglected to mention Microsoft who, back in 1997 or so when the video was made, was huge mega-hella-huge back in those days compared to Apple and was just as recognizable as Coke was. Hell, they still are...

If you're talking about the iPhone 4, sure, but I'm talking about Apple's basic philosophy... that has changed more radically than any of their products has. :)

If you're talking about the iPhone 4, sure, but I'm talking about Apple's basic philosophy... that has changed more radically than any of their products has. :)

As we all now know.

For Apple, it's Freedom from choice.

For Non-Apple, it's Freedom of choice.

I like freedom of choice. :D

Yeah, times have changed. I am not an Apple fan boy, but, you have to admit, they keep the rest of the world on their toes. What A does, everyone copies and follows. Jobs is not the brightest bulb, except he is perhaps the most AWARE CEO / Founder. He does not create, but he does know what will sell - and we are a country of Consumption.

Not sure who, where, or how got that video - but was great. Very interesting.

Once again, great job [H]

S

You're comparing their old announced philosophy to what you perceive their current philosophy is. Nothing has really changed. Even though they said "Think Different" back then, it still really meant "Think the way we do".

You're comparing their old announced philosophy to what you perceive their current philosophy is. Nothing has really changed. Even though they said "Think Different" back then, it still really meant "Think the way we do".

Actually, I always took it as "Let us do the thinking for you."

I still love Apple products. But the company has gone horribly awry and no longer thinks of it's customers as important.

Today Apple's message seems to be the opposite of "think different." Today, the message basically boils down to "conform." Well, that and "consume."

I was an Apple fan back in the day. I lusted after the early Macs when Windows wasn't even in the market. But now? Now Apple seems like a snobbish culture of elitism. They do some nice industrial design, that is true. But they are way too controlling for me.

Jobs is a great salesman. Always has been. But his magic has worn off for me.

Back